Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2018 9:55:57 AM EDT
All,

I'm looking for flashlight recommendations for a church security team.  When we started our team, we did not have a room, only a cabinet to store our gear, and no access to power for chargers.  So, I bought 300 lumen flashlights powered by AA batteries to get around those limitations.  Those have worked fine, but now that we have our own team room, I want to get something better and rechargeable.

Here are my requirements:

- Professional quality, not junk that will break in a year
- Rechargeable, either NiMh or LiOn.
- around 500-600 lumens.
- Rechargeable by plugging into a charger base, or by plugging in a charger cable.  Removing the batteries and placing the batteries in a charger isn't an option.
- Single mode.  We don't need strobe, and our folks are only duty for up to two hours, so we don't need battery saving low lumen modes.
- Light weight and 6 inches or so long.  No Mag Lites, SL20s or Ultra Stingers.

I'm not well versed in flashlights, but so far its been tough to find a single mode light that meets these requirements.  Does anyone know if such an animal exists?

FWIW, my personal light is a Streamlight Stinger I had when I was a reserve deputy, upgraded with a NiMh battery and a Terralux LED upgrade.  That's my point of reference.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had a nitecore that is 800 lumens for the last 4 years. It's been carried 5 days a week, no issue. I can't find the model on amazon anymore, but it's "Nitecore MH2C", you can probably find them on ebay now. I've gone over to the chinese USB charging models from the surefires because I'm able to charge them in my truck.

Below is a similar (newer) model. It charges via USB micro, and it holds a charge pretty well. I'm still using the original battery. Definitely bright enough as well.

Amazon Product
  • Max output 1000 lumen using CREE XM-L2 U2 LED
  • Integrated micro USB charging port. Rechargeable Li-ion 18650 battery included
  • Maximum runtime of up to 520 hours

Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Why do you need such high output flashlights for indoors?  Sure, you might temporarily blind an attacker, but you will at the least lose any dark adaptation you have as soon as that beam hits the wall and reflects back.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:49:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why do you need such high output flashlights for indoors?  Sure, you might temporarily blind an attacker, but you will at the least lose any dark adaptation you have as soon as that beam hits the wall and reflects back.
View Quote
That 500-600 lumen light criteria he's looking for is logical. As long as the dudes know how to work their lights, brighter is better than the alternative. Spend 60 mins with them working white light in the church in the dark, and they'll be far better off than your random dude off the street.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out the Malkoff Devices M91 and Hound Dog.  I've carried my Hound Dog every day for four years, great light, but a little brighter than you're asking for.  The M61 is 700 lumens and available without high/low switch.  The Malkoff high/low is controlled by rotating the head, they won't be accidentally placed into low mode.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
We have services after dark, and although we have exterior ligthing, there are still some dark corners and places around the property.  We also boarder a wooded area.

Although we carry lights indoors, they are only used indoors while checking the gym since the lights in the gym take some time to spool up.  Unless we suffer a power failure, all lights in the interior of the buildings are turned on during the services.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:51:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Well if you were a Stinger fan, maybe you might like Streamlights Strion series. The Strion DS (375 lumens) or DS HL (700 lumens).

Those two can be programmed for single click only high/max output. The light will stay single mode on/off always until you want to re-program it. The lights are about 6 inches in length and should be easy to manipulate with two different switches.

Maglite's MagTac rechargeable light is rated at 533 lumens, but the tail switch on the MagTac series doesn't have a positive feel.

So many lights to choose from. Good luck
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#7]
There are a number of good products from Fenix, Olight, Streamlight, etc that would work.  Make sure it has a Lithium battery (this is key) given how long they last vs old technology.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 10:53:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Streamlight

10 years of law enforcement experience, many flashlights tried. I own three Streamlights

Two for my duty bag, one for the house.

The things are bulletproof and if they break streamlight will fix them for free, if it can’t be fixed they give you a new one.

Their customer service is fantastic and their product is great! The batteries have around a 3 year shelf life but they are only $30-$40. Don’t buy knock off batteires, go through streamlight.

I lied, I have two others. One on my SBR and one of their lanterns for power outages. Those lanterns are great!

Stinger is the gold standard and I have a strion as my backup.

Call streamlight and tell them why you are buying them, I bet they will take care of you.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 1:00:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Streamlight still the best option for what you want. But why tbe charger dock requirement instead of using 18650 and chargers?
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 2:51:17 AM EDT
[#10]
the 18650 charger docks are kind of a pain in the ass compared to the USB capable lights. Those batteries definitely last a while, but it's so slick to be able to charge the light in your truck off your phone charger. There are dozens of capable chinese brands on amazon prime. Shoot for 500-800 lumens minimum. They are all pretty decent.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
500-600 lumens is not very high output for a flashlight these days.  I EDC an Olight S1A Baton that puts out 600 lumens off a single 14500 (1xAA size) battery.

To the OP, I'd look at some of the lights from Olight since mine have been great and they offer several charging options.
Link Posted: 3/21/2018 9:08:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Streamlight HL-X USB, 1k lumen, uses CR123's or an 18650 that is charged with a USB cable

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-hl-x

Or the Protac HL USB, 850 lumens

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-hl-usb
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 1:25:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a fenix light that has been dropped, dinged, rained on, etc for the past year. The usb recharger is nice and super convenient/ universal.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Streamlight Stinger. They are tough and very bright and rechargeable without removing the batteries from the flashlight.

Can be purchased with a piggyback charger that hold the Flashlight in the charge cradle and one extra battery in its own cradle.

There is a HL (High Lumen) model but I find the beam is wider than I care for and doesn't throw as far.

I prefer the regular LED Stinger that has a more focused beam.

Also NiMh batteries give about double the run time of their standard NiCad.

Quoted:
Streamlight HL-X USB, 1k lumen, uses CR123's or an 18650 that is charged with a USB cable

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-hl-x

Or the Protac HL USB, 850 lumens

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-hl-usb
View Quote
Streamlight will have the HL-5X available April which used four CR123 or two 18650 to produce 3500 lumens.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Streamlight will have the HL-5X available April which used four CR123 or two 18650 to produce 3500 lumens.
View Quote
JFC, would you even need to shoot the bad guy after burning his face off?
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 5:02:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Light sabres are just around the corner.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy a AA recharger and rechargeable AA batteries?

You can get chargers that will charge a ton of AAs on amazon for cheap.

You wouldn't have to replace the lights you have now this way.

300 lumens is plenty for indoors.

The people using them are already familiar with their operation.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 7:58:53 PM EDT
[#19]
ost
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Flashlight technology is getting better & brighter every day.

And 3500 Lumens won't burn anything off.  I have a Olight R50 Seeker Pro that puts out 3200 and I think its adequate for indoor & most outdoor work.

But... if you DO want to Bring Out the Sun...

Imalent DX80:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top