Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2018 5:50:33 PM EDT
My Fenix LD01 is dying on me.  It sometimes takes a whack to get it to turn on.  So it's no longer reliable and that doesn't work for me on a light I have to use every day I'm working.  I'm looking to move into something rechargable and in the Streamlight line of lights.  I'm not really looking at any other company right now such as Surefire or such but might be able to be swayed. I'm somewhat partial/loyal to Streamlight as I've always used their weaponlights and they've always worked for me at a price I can afford.

So these are the ones I'm currently looking at, looking for folks with personal experience with these lights or similar.  They need to be on the smaller side and have a low setting for use as a diagnostic tool for checking pupils so the lower the better, but have enough to look around accident scenes as well, smallish.  Needs to fit in one hand pretty easily and be able to store in the "magazine" pocket of a pair of 5.11 duty pants.  Prefer it to run on the newer USB rechargable Li-Ion batteries out there.  The Dept provides us with batteries for our lights but I would prefer to use something like the rechargables.

This one is small enough but doesn't have swappable batteries and is a little low on power/range on the high setting
MICROSTREAM-USB

This one has the range/power for sure probably over the top for what's needed, and may or maynot be the size I'm looking for it's hard to tell from the pictures.
PROTAC-HL-USB

The price on these are attractive, and the light settings are adjustable.  I can program it to start on low and move up to high power.  Or the other way around.  It will also take either CR123s or the USB rechargeable 18650 Li-Ions.  
POLYTAC-X

We can buy these with our clothing allowances of of Galls.  But I don't see anything saying they will run off of the 18650 Li-ion batteries.  The price is good to go on these as well but I see nothing about rechargable batteries able to be used on these.
POLYTAC-90

Thanks for any help guys.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Academy sports had some lights by Fenix for 50% off recently. The PD35 was $35. Check their site. I’d recommend the PD35. You can use a rechargeable battery for it or buy the rechargeable version of it for $10 more.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
https://olightworld.com/olight-m2r-warrior

USB rechargeable through the magnetic tailcap
18650 powered
Range from 1 lumen up to 1,500 lumens

The side switch controls the different modes, long hold always gets you 1 lumen. Quick press turns it on at the last setting, press and hold again to change levels. The side switch would be absolutely useless in a hurry or in the dark with extrication/structure gloves on but the tailcap is also a switch with two settings. One is soft press momentary turbo/hard press constant turbo. The other (and the way I run mine) is soft press momentary turbo/hard press strobe. I run it this way as I prefer my lights to operate in momentary only for self defense purposes.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a few Fenix lights now and they've always been short on quality in the long run.  In fact the one I'm replacing now is the LD09 that is around 1 year old.  I think the electronics are failing on it as it is completely hit or miss when it works even with a new battery.  I had a few of their older ones that ran on 2 AA batteries and had to replace multiple tailcaps on them.  I'm also not been impressed with their unnecessarily complex (IMO) tailcap button press arrangement.  The older 2aa model I had of their was simple on and off and you could go to lower power level by twisting the head a little bit. But it was a simple on/off button.  I know these streamlights I posted have multi button press type tailcaps but they are also programmable.

I have nothing against Fenix lights but in my experience with them so far their quality hasn't been there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://olightworld.com/olight-m2r-warrior

USB rechargeable through the magnetic tailcap
18650 powered
Range from 1 lumen up to 1,500 lumens

The side switch controls the different modes, long hold always gets you 1 lumen. Quick press turns it on at the last setting, press and hold again to change levels. The side switch would be absolutely useless in a hurry or in the dark with extrication/structure gloves on but the tailcap is also a switch with two settings. One is soft press momentary turbo/hard press constant turbo. The other (and the way I run mine) is soft press momentary turbo/hard press strobe. I run it this way as I prefer my lights to operate in momentary only for self defense purposes.
View Quote
Ooo that's nice but the side and tail light buttons/switches are a turn off for me :(
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I was using a Fenix at work but use that for personal use now because it takes 123a. I use a streetlight pro tac 1L-1AA as it takes 1 AA its not the brightest light by far but it is more than enough for what I need. AA's are free to me from work otherwise id still be using the Fenix. Fenix does have a lifetime warranty, they will probably fix that for free.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Alright didn't even consider this one at first but looks like it hits everything I was looking for in a replacement light with exception of maybe a little less lumens that I would like but I'd bet the reflector design will make up for that and most importantly about the size I was looking for.  Small enough to be unobtrousive in my duty pants when in bunker gear but enough power to be useable on calls when I don't have one of the larger lights with me.

Streamlight Microstream
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Alright didn't even consider this one at first but looks like it hits everything I was looking for in a replacement light with exception of maybe a little less lumens that I would like but I'd bet the reflector design will make up for that and most importantly about the size I was looking for.  Small enough to be unobtrousive in my duty pants when in bunker gear but enough power to be useable on calls when I don't have one of the larger lights with me.

Streamlight Microstream
View Quote
Don’t forget the stylus pro too. It is my one of my edc. I use a microstream too. The stylus is very capable for the size and there are a lot of comparable penlights in the <$20 range.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don’t forget the stylus pro too. It is my one of my edc. I use a microstream too. The stylus is very capable for the size and there are a lot of comparable penlights in the <$20 range.
View Quote
I was looking at that one if the low setting on the microstream is going to be too bright to use for checking pupils.  How do you like the stylus pro for tasks other than upclose stuff.   Work ok for looking across a room or inspecting dark areas under the hood?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was looking at that one if the low setting on the microstream is going to be too bright to use for checking pupils.  How do you like the stylus pro for tasks other than upclose stuff.   Work ok for looking across a room or inspecting dark areas under the hood?
View Quote
Oh definitely. I use it for checking pupils, too. Just tell them to look over your opposite shoulder of the light, aim the hot spot of the beam at the ear, and move medially. The spill from the light is enough to constrict pupils without blinding them. I actually use it when I get home at night and there are deer in my yard. It works out to a good 20-30 yards (not going to light it up immensely but will give you some light) so in a room or under a hood is fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
The Microstream is going to be very underwhelming. I can’t speak to the rechargeable but I’ve been really happy with my ProTac 1L and ProTac 1L-1-AA. I never cared for the feel of the polymer body flashlights.

ETA: Low setting on the 1L-1-AA is the same as the output on the Microscream, if you’re worried about checking pupils. However, a larger light also gives you several hundred more lumen on the high setting for other duties.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Cheap Surefire G2 on ebay or amazon and drop in a Malkoff Head.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The Microstream is going to be very underwhelming. I can’t speak to the rechargeable but I’ve been really happy with my ProTac 1L and ProTac 1L-1-AA. I never cared for the feel of the polymer body flashlights.

ETA: Low setting on the 1L-1-AA is the same as the output on the Microscream, if you’re worried about checking pupils. However, a larger light also gives you several hundred more lumen on the high setting for other duties.
View Quote
I've grown fond of my 1L-1-AA.  Great output and I'm a fan of the duel fuel capability.

OP, most firefighters I know use the Streamlight Survivor.  Any particular reason you don't like them?
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I've grown fond of my 1L-1-AA.  Great output and I'm a fan of the duel fuel capability.

OP, most firefighters I know use the Streamlight Survivor.  Any particular reason you don't like them?
View Quote
The light I was wanting in this thread needed to be on the smallish side and easily to carry in regular duty pants (5.11 cargo pants), without being obtrusive or interfering with donning of my bunker gear.   I may take a look at those 1L-1-AAs and see how I like those. :)

Those Survivors are issued to us.  Nothing wrong with them.  Good output and what not.  But they are quite large/bulky and not something that I or anyone I know would carry in their pocket.  They use 4 AA batteries in a cartridge holder.  They use batteries somewhat quick, but you can get an optional Ni-Cad or Ni-Mh battery and charging base for them.  I like the USB lights because everyone has USB cords and you can charge them off any vehicle.  Mine is attached to the outside of my bunker coat.  I also run a Streamlight Vantage (TLR-1 with a c clamp style mount) on the right side of my helmet.

A lot of guys replace theirs with PolyTac90s that we can buy though Galls using our annual clothing allowance.  I will probably be doing the same when my next clothing allowance is released (wish they would make a dual fuel model of the Polytac90) mostly to cut down on bulk/weight on my bunker coat, not because the Survivor isn't a good light, but having used both IMO the PolyTac90 is a better overall light and I like the way it throws it's light better than the big Survivor.

We also have Streamlight Fire Vulcans (LED tyep) installed on all of our apparatus in the department.  They are awesome and have an almost 600 yard throw.  But again they are bulky and not something I typically grab off the engine.  They're large enough they come with a seatbelt style strap so you can sling it.  When I'm already carrying a tool, dragging a hose and wearing an airpack adding another piece of equipment with a strap to my body isn't something I want to do unless I need it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 3:22:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cheap Surefire G2 on ebay or amazon and drop in a Malkoff Head.
View Quote
I've got a Surefire G2 Nitrolon that I've had for probably 11 years now.  Awesome light.  I need to get the Malkoff drop in head in it, it's had a cheap amazon LED unit in it for a very long time and it's not always reliable.  But it's a bit larger than I want to carry in my pocket daily.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 10:54:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Fenix UC35.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top