Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2022 4:53:16 PM EDT
It seems like flash suppression is becoming more and more popular in the public discourse, and I'm glad to see it. However, there are important variables often missing when discussing this trait (among other traits).  As you can see below, the single variable of ammo type can make a very significant difference. This is meant to be a simple demonstration to use as a quick reference.

Date Taken: 23 December 2022
Time: 18:53
Air Temp: 38F (approx)
Humidity: 90% (approx)

Barrel: 12.5" ADM/Criterion Hybrid
Suppressor: Dead Air Sandman K with 5.56 Flash Hiding End Cap

To observe each ammo type, 3 shots were fired in about a 1-second cadence, and then 5 shots were fired rapidly. This was recorded on a Samsung Galaxy S10+. I scrolled through each video to observe any variances in flash between shots. The pictures below are both from the third shot of the slow cadence and none of the shots had flash that varied significantly between shots. I feel these are fairly represented under the listed conditions, although the XM193 doesn't appear quite as dramatic when viewed in real time IMO.

Federal XM193:
Attachment Attached File

Speer Gold Dot 62gr:
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/27/2022 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a significant difference.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Are those framegrabs of video?

And I’d like to see that test done with a DSLR; guaranteed same EXIF
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are those framegrabs of video?

And I’d like to see that test done with a DSLR; guaranteed same EXIF
View Quote

Yes.

I understand this isn't a quantified comparison, maybe someday there will be enough demand/interest for someone to start the PEW Science of flash analysis.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 12:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
XM193 is exceptionally flashy.

For defensive ammo, whether if be handgun or rifle, flash properties are something to be considered.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Incidentally, American Eagle XM193 is what we ran to demo flash suppression with Five By Five.  Didn't get anything like the flash above, though definitely more pronounced with first round O2 burn off.  There is no flash hider feature on the end cap, they just have a .050 radiused counterbore.

https://juxxi.com/video/48419/ecco-machine-five-by-five-flash-suppression?channelName=ECCOMachine

I suppose I should do more videos with other ammo at some point
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 3:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Incidentally, American Eagle XM193 is what we ran to demo flash suppression with Five By Five.  Didn't get anything like the flash above, though definitely more pronounced with first round O2 burn off.  There is no flash hider feature on the end cap, they just have a .050 radiused counterbore.

https://juxxi.com/video/48419/ecco-machine-five-by-five-flash-suppression?channelName=ECCOMachine

I suppose I should do more videos with other ammo at some point
View Quote

That does appear much different. Was this in Colorado? What was the elevation? Mine was at about 200 feet above sea level.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That does appear much different. Was this in Colorado? What was the elevation? Mine was at about 200 feet above sea level.
View Quote

Yes, Elbert county.

We're at 6,700 ft.  I didn't document weather, but it was 26 July 2022 a couple hours after sunset, so probably around 70°F.  Our humidity is typically very low here, we have stage 2 fire bans in effect most of the time.

I honestly don't know if altitude and other environmental factors have any impact on muzzle flash unless the humidity were so high that you had condensation inside a suppressor.  A quick search doesn't indicate that it has been studied.

We do, however, have a harder time keeping things subsonic here!
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks so much for posting this.  Ammo selection is massively important.  I'm surprised by how many people are making this their hot-button when shopping for suppressors.  There are a lot of "influencers" that are being paid by (or pushed by) suppressor brands that are using this as marketing tool.  That's cool if flash is really important to you, but this highlights what few are willing to talk about--that ammo selection is half the battle.  In the end, it's important and all of our suppressors for years (Nomad, Wolfman, Sierra 5) have been designed around this requirement, but I'm surprised how fan-boyish it's become on the internet lately.  Like, if you can characterize a brand as having a flashy suppressor then they're no good.  On the other hand, those people are cool with titanium sparking if the can is cool enough.  Go figure.  

I've found the XM193 to also be really flashy.  Winchester Whitebox is probably the worst I've found, but people buy it because it's available so we actually use that in our design process.

Another cool thing to note.  I typically break down flash into two categories:

Primary Flash:  Flash that is occurring in the can and it spills out (super short cans tend to have this).  The pictures above are both primary.

Secondary Flash:  This is unburnt propellent that can re-ignite out in front of the can when pressure and temp conditions are right.  This will look like a bit fireball that appears out in front of the can, but not coming out of the front cap.  The pronged flash hiders help extinguish primary, but show off a tiny bit more of it through the prongs, but if they're effective, they'll keep the secondary ignition from forming.  At Dead Air, our front cap design (that everyone is now basing theirs on BTW) is designed to help with primary and secondary.    

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 1:52:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks so much for posting this.  Ammo selection is massively important.  I'm surprised by how many people are making this their hot-button when shopping for suppressors.  There are a lot of "influencers" that are being paid by (or pushed by) suppressor brands that are using this as marketing tool.  That's cool if flash is really important to you, but this highlights what few are willing to talk about--that ammo selection is half the battle.  In the end, it's important and all of our suppressors for years (Nomad, Wolfman, Sierra 5) have been designed around this requirement, but I'm surprised how fan-boyish it's become on the internet lately.  Like, if you can characterize a brand as having a flashy suppressor then they're no good.  On the other hand, those people are cool with titanium sparking if the can is cool enough.  Go figure.  

I've found the XM193 to also be really flashy.  Winchester Whitebox is probably the worst I've found, but people buy it because it's available so we actually use that in our design process.

Another cool thing to note.  I typically break down flash into two categories:

Primary Flash:  Flash that is occurring in the can and it spills out (super short cans tend to have this).  The pictures above are both primary.

Secondary Flash:  This is unburnt propellent that can re-ignite out in front of the can when pressure and temp conditions are right.  This will look like a bit fireball that appears out in front of the can, but not coming out of the front cap.  The pronged flash hiders help extinguish primary, but show off a tiny bit more of it through the prongs, but if they're effective, they'll keep the secondary ignition from forming.  At Dead Air, our front cap design (that everyone is now basing theirs on BTW) is designed to help with primary and secondary.    

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
View Quote

Absolutely, sir.

I suppose you could count me in the "flash fan-boy" group as flash suppression is a very desirable feature, among others, so I appreciate what Dead Air has done to that end. I'm looking forward to my next block leave when I can finally take my Sierra 5 home and move this Sandman K to "dedicated duty" on a 300Blk.

I'll be stacking IMI M193 from now on as my practice ammo.

I didn't know "secondary flash" by name but that effect was in mind when I chose to do the firing cadence I did. I've seen that effect in Aaron Cowan's videos, but I didn't see it in mine; like I said, it was all very consistent shot-to-shot.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 5:26:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

IMO, it's an important design consideration for "hard use" cans, not as much for stuff geared toward generally daytime activities like hunting and PRS, though night hunting of hogs and predators makes it significant in those applications.

It's also not something we've fought as much with longer cans on longer barreled hosts.   It's not difficult to quell the flash on an 18" or 20" .308 with an 8" can, nothing like 10.5" 5.56 guns with 5" or 6" suppressors.

I've admittedly done relatively little darkness testing, but what I have done indicates that muzzle device can also make a difference, and flash hiders inside of cans really do nothing for the flash that occurs in front of them, actually seem to promote it as compared to brakes that do more to disrupt laminar flow exiting the muzzle.
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top