Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2021 9:58:52 AM EDT
How do these look? After the last firing two necks had small cracks so I figured I’ve give it a shot with the torch.

Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks overdone to me. I'd do it for significantly less time.

You can overdo it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks overdone to me. I'd do it for significantly less time.

You can overdo it.
View Quote

But as long as I don’t crush the case when sizing I’m good, right? I’ve noticed that some of the annealed factory cases come looking very similar to this so I figured I’d try to mimic that and it the cases crush then oh well it’s only 20 cases.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]
The problem you have with OVER-annealing -- you may have softened the case head, which besides holding the primer also keeps the bottom of the case from grenading into your barrel extension and blowing out your extractor.

Military cases will look like that after a fashion as the brass oxidizes.  Civilian cases are often polished after anodizing, so you may never notice.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Overly annealed brass may also impact neck tension. So there is that as well.

Get some tempilaq and try again. You'll likely notice a huge difference in the amount of heat you need for a proper anneal vs what you dumped into those cases.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Use tempilac.  Hit the toobz videos.  It can be hard to see, but you will get there.

Those look a bit cooked to me, but could be potato lighting effects. Dirty cases will also have more discoloration.

Are you using an automatic system?  Even cooked, those look pretty dang uniform.

(You got the lube, but forgot your tissues and homer bucket)  
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Heres a pic with better lighting. I used a deep socket in the drill to only expose the neck/shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 12:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I over annealed brass and then F/L sized it. UNEXPECTED RESULTS!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HfjRKrbYbo
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]

This was awesome. I didn’t heat these up anywhere close to what he did. After watching that I don’t even think these are overdone. The first pic I posted may have been misleading.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This was awesome. I didn’t heat these up anywhere close to what he did. After watching that I don’t even think these are overdone. The first pic I posted may have been misleading.
View Quote

If you look at his channel he has several good videos on annealing.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#11]
How they look isn’t as important as whether or not you got the neck/shoulder hot enough but not too hot.  That’s where Tempilaq comes in.  

What method did you use?  I use dryflash3’s Low Budget Annealing process.

I make sure I have good light, and I look for the Tempilaq to change, then dump that case.  Yes, you do start to get a feel for when the stuff changes, but it’s still important (to me) to actually see it change.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 5:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How they look isn’t as important as whether or not you got the neck/shoulder hot enough but not too hot.  That’s where Tempilaq comes in.  

What method did you use?  I use dryflash3’s Low Budget Annealing process.

I make sure I have good light, and I look for the Tempilaq to change, then dump that case.  Yes, you do start to get a feel for when the stuff changes, but it’s still important (to me) to actually see it change.
View Quote

I use a propane torch, drill, deep socket, and metronome app on my phone.
Link Posted: 9/22/2021 10:00:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Skip the Tempilaq.

Do it in a darkened room and watch for a slight glow from the neck that occurs at the same time that the flame changes color. Annealing achieved.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#14]
This is a good video that I just found.

Metal Engineer Watches Pro Shooter Heat Brass
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I haven’t been annealing cases very long, but I found a method that keeps from overheating the case heads. I actually heat the case while holding it in my bare hand. “Too hot to hold” is way under too hot for the case head.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:39:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I haven’t been annealing cases very long, but I found a method that keeps from overheating the case heads. I actually heat the case while holding it in my bare hand. “Too hot to hold” is way under too hot for the case head.
View Quote

That's old school. I used that method with 308 cases before making an annealer box. I was worried a 223/556 would heat up too fast and I'd drop it before reaching the desired annealing temp. I never timed the bare hand method and compared with tempilaq.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top