Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2023 10:38:05 AM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up a first gen low 5 digit seral number 160XX universal m1 carbine. It look to have a mix of usgi parts from rock-ola to Saginaw. From what I read the receiver and barrel are Universal but the rest of the parts are usgi. Its a good looking rifle but some one bubba up the sights. They cut the rear pepe sight in to a v and cut the wings off the front.  Is there anything I should look for on this rifle or stay clear. What is the average price for one?
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Gen 1's had forged receivers IIRR and like you mentioned, used USGI parts. I would say $700ish would be a decent price with the bubba'd sights. Those you can replace if needed.

I've toyed with getting a Gen 1 myself but I have too many M1 Carbines now (10), figure let someone else get them.......
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If you really want an M1 carbine, go to Fulton Armory.
A bubba put it together and another bubba messed with the universal.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 11:36:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you really want an M1 carbine, go to Fulton Armory.
A bubba put it together and another bubba messed with the universal.
View Quote

As big a fan as I am of Fulton made Carbines a Gen 1 Universal wasn't built by "bubba". They used USGI surplus parts same as Fulton does, and can be decent Carbines. As to the sights, I've seen my share of "bubba'd" USGI carbines over the years and if this Gen 1 only has messed up sights those can be changed if needed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#4]
The sights are the only thing thats been bubba'd on. The rest of the M1 look good nice rifling and finish look good to me no rust at all. I'm guessing some usgi front and rear sight will work? All in need for the rear is the pepe aperture. Will this work for the rear?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1774380C
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The sights are the only thing thats been bubba'd on. The rest of the M1 look good nice rifling and finish look good to me no rust at all. I'm guessing some usgi front and rear sight will work? All in need for the rear is the pepe aperture. Will this work for the rear?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1774380C
View Quote

It should. Personally I would use the post war adjustable rear sight.

I'm also a tad leery of the Made in Japan rear sights. If you do want the flip sight try this

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/new-aom130-feed-issues_topic5479.html

I would see if a local gun smith can replace the rear sight for you, better safe than sorry. I would ask the gun shop if they'll replace the sight for you at cost and see what they say.

Good luck.....we'll be expecting pictures if you get it
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 12:47:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Ill post pictures soon
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:10:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't pretend to know about various generations of Universal M1 carbines, but the one I had in the '80's was definitely not the same as any of the USGI ones I've had. It used two action springs instead of one, for one thing. On top of that, the one I had never ran well, so I sold it. Ymmv, but mine wasn't a good experience.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 1:31:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't pretend to know about various generations of Universal M1 carbines, but the one I had in the '80's was definitely not the same as any of the USGI ones I've had. It used two action springs instead of one, for one thing. On top of that, the one I had never ran well, so I sold it. Ymmv, but mine wasn't a good experience.
View Quote

You had one of the "Gen 3" models that Universal redesigned to try and improve the design. The military actually tried a dual spring design during the war but didn't adopt it since production was well under way. Universals main problem is they cut corners with materials in the Gen 3's to save money.

"Gen 1" Universals used the classic USGI design, and parts are interchangeable with USGI parts and lower serial numbered ones used surplus USGI parts. Their sort of a sleeper with Carbine owners that more people have become aware of
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 6:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought one in like 1980 for a 125.00 new at a gunshop........it had the 2 action spring set up.........I mangled the front sight trying to get it off.........ordered another one from universal......as I put a bayonet lug on it...........mine ran fine on my reloads and factory ammo........with usgi 15 round mags..........I didnt know much about carbines back then.........should have just bought a usgi one ........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top