Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/5/2024 1:34:38 AM EDT
I’ve completely layered the inside with 1/2” fire board. I was planning to do a second layer but my vault isn’t very big and it’s really cutting into my space. How much of a temperature difference does a second layer make in a fire?
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Could you put the layer on the outside of the safe?  Perhaps both layers.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a layer on the outside. It’s welded steel. Before I fit it to the room, I cut all the drywall out. Filled it with foam and fire board. There is one layer of fire board inside. The only reason I’m thinking of going with another layer is because my house is basically a barn. It’s sided with barn wood. I live out in the woods. If there were a fire, I’d say 30-45 minute response once someone noticed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If you were particularly concerned you could paint the exterior (final coat) with intumescent paint.

I am not sure how well board on the inside will fare in a fire.

I would buy Ring (or similar) monitored smoke/CO detectors. They aren't very expensive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top