Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2018 9:20:00 PM EDT
Finally finished this batch.  It's about 4k 115gr coated 9mm and 3k plated 147 gr.  Plus the second pic is what i alread had.

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
nice

that's a good feeling to have so such

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you buy or cast & coat the 9mm coated bullets?  Details?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#3]
If I may ask.......

Been contemplating loading 9mm.

Not sure if it’s cost effective?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work!  I'm working towards that same goal myself.  Never have too much!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If I may ask.......

View Quote
It's cost effective if you already have the brass.  Plated bullets, when bought in bulk, bring your CPR to around $.11 each.

Casting bullets yourself is much cheaper, even if you powder coat them.  I'm under $.02 per bullet, which brings the CPR to $.06 each.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:04:52 PM EDT
[#6]
That'd make for a fun range day!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If I may ask.......

View Quote
My cost per round is 9.6 using blue bullets buying 10K+ at a time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If I may ask.......

View Quote
Honestly I don't know.  I bought the primers I used 4 years ago and the powder the same if not longer.

I haven't fired a factory centerfire round through any of my firearms in well over a decade so I am not really up on the price of ammunition.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Great job!  Can I ask which press you are using?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great job!  Can I ask which press you are using?
View Quote
650 with case feeder.  I had to take out the priming system once and clean it.  I've never had to do that before but I had a few instances with no primer in station 2.  It didn't seem dirty but the issue went away after cleaning it and putting it back.  I also had to adjust the powder through expander the last 1000 rds.  It wasn't quite expanding enough and I had a few bullets tip over during the upstroke at the last second I guess when I took my hand off of them.  I mark all of my dies with a sharpie from the lock ring to the tool head.  Nothing appeared to have shifted but the expansion had changed like I said by the last 1k rds.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If I may ask.......

View Quote
Unless you value your time as worth less than what is paid to a child chained to a sewing machine in a Bangladeshi garment factory, it is not.

The reason you reload 9mm in today's market is that 1) you can create loads you can't get anywhere else, 2) you want particular "hot" or "soft" loads, or 3) you simply want to say that with the exception of rimfire and other exceptional circumstances, you load everything you shoot.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread reminds me we've been so focused on loading rifle ammo last few months the 9mm is starting to dwindle.

It's time to crank some 9 mm out.

Quoted:
If I may ask.......

View Quote
You should be able to shoot 45% more compared to brass case 25%~30 compared to steel case.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Unless you value your time as worth less than what is paid to a child chained to a sewing machine in a Bangladeshi garment factory, it is not.

The reason you reload 9mm in today's market is that 1) you can create loads you can't get anywhere else, 2) you want particular "hot" or "soft" loads, or 3) you simply want to say that with the exception of rimfire and other exceptional circumstances, you load everything you shoot.
View Quote
I believe you are saving alot more loading 147gr than anything else so if you exclusively load that you are gonna save more.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I believe you are saving alot more loading 147gr than anything else so if you exclusively load that you are gonna save more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would tend to agree.  I 'm stacking deep 115 gr 9mm at cheap prices right now, as well as occasional deals on 124 gr.  147 gr is another story, and I haven't seen any smoking $10-a-box 147 gr deals.

ETA: Also, 9mm brass is so common it's practically a zero cost component.  I almost always come back from the range with more 9mm than I shoot, since there's almost always at least one guy shooting 9mm who is happy for me to sweep up his brass.  I have freezer bags and Tupperware containers full of 9mm range pickup brass I obtained for free.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top