Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2018 6:30:06 PM EDT
Ever since i graduated from college - way back in '13 i have been trying to amass my collection of ww2 firearms.

i finally found a 1903-a3 that i am proud to add to my collection

From what i can tell - the rifle is 100 correct. i purchased it from an old timer and his wife - they had a table with beautiful weapons that he was selling. i would have gotten more if i could.

He has had the rifle from the late 50's

The muzzle barely measures a .5 on a CMP gage - it do not have the tools to measure throat.

The bluing is intact and in great condition on those parts. all parts are stamped Remington.

Barrel dates to 12-43 . It has a OG on the stock signifying it going thru Ogden Arsenal in Oregon at some point.

The stock is a piece of art with dark and clearly defined cartouches and hardly any handling or racking marks.

Im thinking that the rifle never saw war time use due to the condition of it? any ideas? maybe National Guard?

What do you think - how did i do?

GS

Link Posted: 2/13/2018 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice work looks great what else did he have
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice work looks great what else did he have
View Quote
He had quite a few Krags, Springfield trapdoors,he had another 1903-a3 (a smith-corona) and more. Everything he had was in great shape
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:18:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I bet that came from the same batch at Raritan as the one my Dad got in the late 1950s-- unused, made late enough that they were put straight into reserve. Gorgeous rifles and my favorite to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Bolt and trigger guard have been refinished in any case - they were blued originally. Fairly common for post-war rearsenals.

Regardless - looks real nice!
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Bolt and trigger guard have been refinished in any case - they were blued originally. Fairly common for post-war rearsenals.

Regardless - looks real nice!
View Quote
I only thought they were blued on the original '03 before the move from milled to stamped parts to speed up production? In the case of the trigger guard anyways

i coukd he wrong. It's happened once or twice hah
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I only thought they were blued on the original '03 before the move from milled to stamped parts to speed up production? In the case of the trigger guard anyways

i coukd he wrong. It's happened once or twice hah
View Quote
Nope. Those parts were blued through the end of production. I've got a very late Remington '03-A3 (basically, last month of production) - trigger guard is blued. S-C IIRC used parked trigger guards, but not Remington.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 5:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nope. Those parts were blued through the end of production. I've got a very late Remington '03-A3 (basically, last month of production) - trigger guard is blued. S-C IIRC used parked trigger guards, but not Remington.
View Quote
Thanks!

I apreciate the info. Now I gotta go see how she shoots
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful rifle congratulations!
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice rifle. As far as the triggerguard comment I have seen dozens of 03A3’s including some all correct with proven provenance that had parkerized trigger guards. The 03-A3 as a substitute standard rifle would be issued and used only when a more suitable rifle ( Garand, carbine etc) was not available so many were never issued at all and with the piles of Garands available after WWII would have been put into storage and a significant number are found in great shape as a result.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice rifle. As far as the triggerguard comment I have seen dozens of 03A3’s including some all correct with proven provenance that had parkerized trigger guards. The 03-A3 as a substitute standard rifle would be issued and used only when a more suitable rifle ( Garand, carbine etc) was not available so many were never issued at all and with the piles of Garands available after WWII would have been put into storage and a significant number are found in great shape as a result.
View Quote
I've never seen a correct Remington with a parked TG. Smith Corona, yes. Parked stamped Remington TGs are refinished.

This is all academic anyway - there's absolutely nothing wrong with an arsenal-refurbished 1903-A3.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 1:30:13 AM EDT
[#11]
That is a beauty, I would be proud too
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 6:21:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Very nice catch on the A3.

I've got two Remington A3's, one unissued & factory condition; the other is an arsenal refurb & unissued.

On the "new" one, the only parked metal is the receiver and barrel. All other parts are blued and very nicely blued, especially considering late 1943 made.

On the arsenal refurb, everything is parked in lighter shade of parkerizing.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like he stored it properly. Very nice.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#14]
OP, that is one of the best looking A3s that I have seen. I think you did great!

I have a 1928 Springfield 1903 and a 1943 Smith Corona 03-A3 and would be proud to have yours in the rack beside them.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OP, that is one of the best looking A3s that I have seen. I think you did great!

I have a 1928 Springfield 1903 and a 1943 Smith Corona 03-A3 and would be proud to have yours in the rack beside them.
View Quote
Thanks KS95B40
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks much cleaner than my old Smith-Corona. Nice find!
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 11:04:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice rifle indeed. You will like to shoot it. A lot of these late production rifles went from the factory to the depot and then into storage. Even if nothing was repaired, they got the mark. I have a 4.7 without a rebuild mark. The stock still has a rough, not worn in feel. The trigger guard is blued and not parked on mine. Your mag cutoff area looks good and clean. Take the stock off and make sure there are no welds on the barrel by the receiver. Enjoy your "new" rifle.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Worst 03-A3 I've ever seen.  Send to me for proper disposal.  I'll send shipping fees since you already got kicked hard on purchase price.  
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow, I wish I had got a 1903 decades ago but lately decided to look for a decent shooter example too. I don't know if your willing to share, but if so, what did you spend or how much was the other one?

Congrats, very nice example.
View Quote
Quarter

I paid 850 for the rifle. I got him down a little bit, but as nice as it was - I didn't want to beat him up too bad   I wish you luck on your hunt to find one
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 9:50:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks great!

Lately I’ve been having a hankering for a 1903a3 but my available funds are limited.

Should you find another good deal please pass the information along.

Respectfully

Shootsenmeister
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Great find.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#25]
My lgs has two 1903s for $2800 each, one rock island 03 for $3800, three eddystones for 2k a piece and two garands for $2200 each. they actually sold some others for that price, They are not imports but that seems pretty high

That rifle in your pic, I'm sure they would want 3K here. I tried to tell the owner they had them mark about double too much.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:11:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You need to really be an expert to appreciate the details on these sometimes. If it’s a rare variant some collector may see value.

It’s like a correct M1 Garand with a gas trap selling for $100,000.  Many wouldn’t recognize it as special but a collector would.
View Quote
The rifles I looked at weren't rare, the shop owners thinks they are rare.  The garands are springfields with refinished stocks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:53:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 2:13:06 AM EDT
[#29]
OP good wood, good steel. Correct cartouches, good price, makes for a good day. Now enjoy your prize.
You may want to stay in touch with the seller or eventually his widow, At the least you may have some interesting
C&R conversations, or some fruitful acquisitions in the future? And yes you have a handsome rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top