Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2021 10:20:26 AM EDT
Been wanting one of these since I was a kid in the 90s after seeing Terminator 2 and Apocalypse Now . Found a Kanarr Corp receiver group, SN 60XXX. Putting together a Form 1 to make it better than as it sits now.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You've chosen.....wisely!

Stop by when you are in Ohio, and I'll give you some 40mm ammo to celebrate your completed F1.

18Z50...Registered DD's add laughter and mirth to what is otherwise a unruly street brawl!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Aha...will do!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 12:54:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You've chosen.....wisely!

Stop by when you are in Ohio, and I'll give you some 40mm ammo to celebrate your completed F1.

18Z50...Registered DD's add laughter and mirth to what is otherwise a unruly street brawl!
View Quote

Same...

18Z50, what part of ohio are you in?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that the one that was on Gunbroker for so long?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is that the one that was on Gunbroker for so long?
View Quote

This one wasn’t.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 7:19:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool.

Would you be so kind as to take a good picture of the left side of the action with the stock off?
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cool.

Would you be so kind as to take a good picture of the left side of the action with the stock off?
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#8]
You are awesome.  Thank you.

Mine has a little ways to go.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I am surprised there isn't enough of a market for someone to make a run of these.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58648/20210223_175451-1864414.jpg

View Quote

No problem. Do hit me up if you need more pics or details of something.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Great, yet another Form 1 in my future...
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58648/20210223_175451-1864414.jpg

View Quote

It’ll get there, you need to get the barrel and that ladder sight im seeing on GB! If you don’t mind me asking, what’s the story on the receiver casting you got?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Already got that.

I do need the handguard sling loop, the metal part of the foregrip, and the bolt/screw for it.  Then I should have everything.

Story goes that some of the old Kanarr castings were found and sold.  I saw a few more pop up for sale around the time I got mine.  Doing some research I found some had sold previously.

It makes me wonder if they were rejects.  The finish on one side of mine is really bad.

I don't weld, so I may just make a receiver from a single piece of bar stock.  There are blue prints out there, and I have a copy, but I have been told they are wrong.  So this is going to be a slow project.

If I can get a receiver print that I can trust, I am debating having a batch of 80% M79 receivers CNC milled.  Make one or five for myself, and sell the rest.  But I doubt the price would be viable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I am surprised there isn't enough of a market for someone to make a run of these.
View Quote

Same
I wonder what they’d cost
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Submitted a Eform 1 last Sunday. Im seeing guys waiting on Eform 1’s sitting at 60+ days from when they filed to being approved. Anyone file a DD recently?
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Same
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same

I have no idea. I would think you could easily charge as much as a 50bmg $3kish but I am not in the loop and I know gun owners can be the cheapest of the cheap just ask me
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 12:39:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have no idea. I would think you could easily charge as much as a 50bmg $3kish but I am not in the loop and I know gun owners can be the cheapest of the cheap just ask me
View Quote

Now I’m curious
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/58648/20210222_203434-1864977.jpg

Already got that.

I do need the handguard sling loop, the metal part of the foregrip, and the bolt/screw for it.  Then I should have everything.

Story goes that some of the old Kanarr castings were found and sold.  I saw a few more pop up for sale around the time I got mine.  Doing some research I found some had sold previously.

It makes me wonder if they were rejects.  The finish on one side of mine is really bad.

I don't weld, so I may just make a receiver from a single piece of bar stock.  There are blue prints out there, and I have a copy, but I have been told they are wrong.  So this is going to be a slow project.

If I can get a receiver print that I can trust, I am debating having a batch of 80% M79 receivers CNC milled.  Make one or five for myself, and sell the rest.  But I doubt the price would be viable.
View Quote

If you're going to the trouble of making 80% receivers, maybe consider doing them in titanium. That hunk of steel is really heavy and overkill for the application. If the M203 is made out of aluminum and doesn't suffer for it, it should work for the M79 as well but titanium is a better option and it's natural color is already close to the color of the park the originals were. And the weight savings is well worth it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you're going to the trouble of making 80% receivers, maybe consider doing them in titanium. That hunk of steel is really heavy and overkill for the application. If the M203 is made out of aluminum and doesn't suffer for it, it should work for the M79 as well but titanium is a better option and it's natural color is already close to the color of the park the originals were. And the weight savings is well worth it.
View Quote

Aluminum is almost always a better choice than titanium except for a few uncommon cases.  Heat resistance or lower friction are a couple of them.  Not to mention titanium is much more expensive and much much harder to machine.  Some titanium alloys are chip or shatter easily.  For example one of the high end titanium dive knives will shatter when hit by a hammer.  I've read a few stories of titanium 1911 frames chipping when dropped.

A titanium receiver would be turning an expensive project into an extremely expensive and hard project for minimal benefits.

Hell, the cost in 6 flute cutters would be nuts.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#20]
And it's done! I received my approval for my eForm 1 on it...27 days!

Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:21:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Aluminum is almost always a better choice than titanium except for a few uncommon cases.  Heat resistance or lower friction are a couple of them.  Not to mention titanium is much more expensive and much much harder to machine.  Some titanium alloys are chip or shatter easily.  For example one of the high end titanium dive knives will shatter when hit by a hammer.  I've read a few stories of titanium 1911 frames chipping when dropped.

A titanium receiver would be turning an expensive project into an extremely expensive and hard project for minimal benefits.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly if I were going through the trouble to make more than one single receiver I'd lean toward 7075 receivers with a 4140/17-4/whatever decently strong material bolt-on breech face. Have the screws going into TimeSerts or similar and you get the best of all worlds. Lower cost in materials/cutters with lighter weight and strength as good or better than the originals.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Outstanding!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Great looking shotgun - but you have the stick on upside down!

Nice M79.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top