Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2020 5:07:55 PM EDT
Been wondering lately, what would you put into a small kit to fix common firearm issues on the range?  Something lighter than two pounds, footprint no bigger than a letter envelope -ish.  Something that's easy to toss in a range bag.

The scenario is that I go to a nice outdoor range about an hour away from a major metro area.  I carpool with several friends every time.  Being it's an hour away, guns suffering malfunctions suck big time.  There's no gunsmiths or communal resources, though there is a small building with tables and good lighting.

At a shotgun course this week someone busted an extractor and was basically SOL for the rest of the course.  Got met thinking if we had the parts we could resolve that in short (ish) order.

I'm thinking my avid multitool which I've had for a few years, collapsible cleaning rod probably 20in or so, a couple small punches, and then whatever hex/torx wrenches my AR needs for disassembly that isn't on the multitool.

Other thinks I'm obviously forgetting?  I'm kind of the fix it guy for my gun friends so I'd like to be prepared to work on a wide variety of ARs, PCCs, and semi auto pistols.  As for spare parts I'm thinking a full AR bolt, firing pin, and firing pin retention pin, and then an extractor for each model of pistol we carry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#1]
A small bottle of Break-Free, a small tin of grease, small parallel jaw pliers, brass drift for moving sights, brass (or multi-face) hammer, a pill bottle full of Q-tips, screwdriver with bits small enough for rear sights. Don't forget extra eye and ear pro and the FAK.
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Always the FAK.  I do have oil already but specifically break free and grease are great ideas.  And the tools to drift a sight are another good idea.  Wonder if I could make a decent brass head hammer that easily breaks down...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top