Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2022 3:11:06 AM EDT
This is not a for sale thread. If the time comes for that I will sell it locally so I don't have to ship.

With that said; Unfortunately due to my father-in-law losing his battle with cancer I inherited some guns.
One of them is a Federal Ordnance M1 30cal. Serial #514XX range. Stock is in really really good shape. I shot a few rounds through it to make sure it worked and it did. It came with a few mags as well; I would have to count them for sure but I think there is at least 6 mags.

What would this gun realistically sell for?

Only reason wife and I are considering selling it is he had other guns that have way more sentimental value. His true love when it came to guns was trap shooting so those are the true sentimental guns.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Federal Ordinance sold about 300 M1 Carbine receivers it had obtained in a shipment of M1 Garand parts from the Philippines in the early 1980s to Sarco.  Most of those were probably used by Sarco customers to build M1 carbines.  It’s unlikely you have one of those.  If it is, it will be stamped with the Federal Ordinance import mark on the side with the original manufacturer stamped on the rear of the receiver under/behind the rear sight.

More likely you have one of the roughly 2000 M1 carbines manufactured by Federal Ordinance from 1984-86 using receivers cast by ECRIMESA in Spain.

IAI also used left over a Federal Ordinance M1 Carbine receivers when it started making M1 carbines in 1995, and Sarco sold a batch of leftover Federal Ordinance M1 carbine receivers in 2007. M1 Carbines were a sideline for Federal Ordinance and not one of its main products.

In any case, it’s not a common version of the commercial M1 carbine and would be of potential interest to a commercial M1 Carbine collector.  It probably won’t have any value to a military M1 carbine collector and most people looking for a shooter grade M1 won’t pay much either as the Commercial M1 carbines varied a lot in quality and most were not known to be very reliable.

Take a look at this link for the full story on the Fed Ord Inc carbines, and the serial numbers provided might help you determine what it is.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_FedOrd.html
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have already seen that site but thank you for that anyhow. I probably should have put a link to that site in my OP to show exactly what I have.

By looking at the website; I have the serial #2 as that is the stampings that are on the gun and the serial number range matches to what I have.

Any idea what the realistic selling price would be for it? It is in really good shape and the stock is in very good shape!
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Took some pics. There is also 2 of the smaller magazines in the pouch that is on the sling; I forgot to take them out for the picture.

Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Current market, $600 bucks, more with the mags and stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Current market, $600 bucks, more with the mags and stuff.
View Quote

For Federal Ordnance? Weren't they the company that made defective M1-A's?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 12:34:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Commercial carbines were selling locally for $1000 recently. Insane prices. Buyers go by looks. With the metal condition and striped birch stock, it would sell well. Some people would prefer a wood hand guard.

Oddly, the same shop that was selling them for that has several nice USGI carbines for $1500 and they are not moving as fast.

The market is cooling off fast and we are going into spring and summer. If you have anything to sell, now is a better time to sell. Not as good a couple month ago but better than a month or two from now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Commercial carbines were selling locally for $1000 recently. Insane prices. Buyers go by looks. With the metal condition and striped birch stock, it would sell well. Some people would prefer a wood hand guard.

Oddly, the same shop that was selling them for that has several nice USGI carbines for $1500 and they are not moving as fast.

The market is cooling off fast and we are going into spring and summer. If you have anything to sell, now is a better time to sell. Not as good a couple month ago but better than a month or two from now.
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 2:19:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For Federal Ordnance? Weren't they the company that made defective M1-A's?
View Quote
Yes, but that was their M-14A semis.  I don't know a thing about their M1 Carbines.  They may be okay for all I know.

I do know their M-14As were hack jobs to the max.  They looked good until you looked closely.  I think it's Fulton that said they're dangerous to fire.  A friend owned one that had a badly wandering zero at various ranges but not other elevations and we found that the rear peep sight would bounce loosely (up and down, left to right) at some settings but be tight and true at others.  Bad rear sight, right?  So he hoped to fix it by buying a commercial NM rear sight for it.  He discovered the receiver was so out of spec it took full left mechanical windage with the new NM sight to hit center mass.  

We hunted online for info and that's where we found out that FedOrd was being maligned by reputable outfits as an amateurish cottage industry gun builder who filed bolt lugs and breech faces to mate up and other really dubious and worrisome shenanigans to slap guns together and get rifles out the door.  The hackery they did was to compensate for their poor assembly that might have been in spec in the first place if they knew what they were doing.

To be honest I don't have a lot of super great things to say about Springfield Armory M1As either but at least they're not FedOrd bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top