Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2023 4:59:41 PM EDT
I am about to buy either a lightweight Bolt in x39, 6.5 Grendel or .308 for walking on my ranch. I will come across Hogs, Whitetail, Coyotes, Fox, Jacks, etc.
What would you recommend for a fast shooting optic to accompany my lightweight rifle? LPVO? Prism? Red Dot?  I'd like to keep the price to under $500. Even less $$ would be great.
What say you Gentleman?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Circle Dot red dot or low power prism. The 3x primary arms prism might just fit the bill.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#2]
LVPO all day.  I run a cheapo 1-4 (an old MTAC) that has served me well past 600 yards.  Works well at 1 (actually 1.1)x.  
The reticle is frustrating with long range stuff, but i cannot argue with the results.   You can get better stuff nowadays for less than $500.  I love red dots on SBRs and PCCs, but i wouldn't use them for what you are doing.  

edit: just to be clear, the MTAC and others like it have a circle dot that can be illuminated.  That is the key to pulling off quick close shots i think.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#4]
3x or 5x PA microprism.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m having a hard time equating fast and bolt, but ok

A LPVO with the reticle f your choice.  A reticle that works for you is the most important aspect.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A LPVO with the reticle f your choice.  A reticle that works for you is the most important aspect.
View Quote

I mean fast handling. Not necessarily fast reloading, although there are people who can manipulate a bolt pretty fast. Being able to take a shot quickly. I spend a lot of time walking our ranch and am often surprised by a bolting Hog, Fox, Jackrabbit, etc.
I have a 300 BLK AR that works well, but sometimes I just want to carry something different. For me, the simpler the reticle the better. I'm not going to shoot this rifle past 300 yards at the most. The ACSS reticle is pretty decent, but so is a basic Mildot or BDC.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:32:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Circle Dot red dot or low power prism. The 3x primary arms prism might just fit the bill.
View Quote

I have the PA 3x Microprism on an AR build and it is really nice. That just might be the ticket for a light bolt action.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Put a 2moa red dot on it.

I admit - I felt weird thinking about it and it felt weird actually installing it.... but when I put it to my shoulder, "Oh yeah..."

As has everyone who I've let shoot it since.

2moa cheap chineseium (At3 RD50, just like the Bushnell TRS-25 but 2moa dot and lifetime warranty still) on my Howa Mini in 762x39.  Once I had it zeroed at 25 yards I could bang a 6" steel gong at 200 yards no problem.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:34:27 PM EDT
[#10]
There's no simple answer. What are the circumstances of your fast shooting. Close up a red dot. Night time a prism scope. Longer distances, an LVPO. Of course this is a simplified answer but the question is a little too vague.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 8:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There's no simple answer. What are the circumstances of your fast shooting. Close up a red dot. Night time a prism scope. Longer distances, an LVPO. Of course this is a simplified answer but the question is a little too vague.
View Quote

I walk my ranch at different times of day. Morning, afternoon, evening. Sometimes I kick up all manner of game very close. Hogs, whitetail, Coyote, Jackrabbit, etc. so have to be prepared to get a shot off quickly. Other times I'll come up on one 50 or 100 yards out, so I have a little more time. I know there is no jack of all trades optic, but I probably need something closer to a red dot than a 6-24x. I was thinking a 1-6 LPVO, but was unsure how quick I could acquire a sight picture versus a red dot or Prism. Also, if I miss a shot, it's  not like I'll be missing dinner.
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Put a 2moa red dot on it.

I admit - I felt weird thinking about it and it felt weird actually installing it.... but when I put it to my shoulder, "Oh yeah..."

As has everyone who I've let shoot it since.

2moa cheap chineseium (At3 RD50, just like the Bushnell TRS-25 but 2moa dot and lifetime warranty still) on my Howa Mini in 762x39.  Once I had it zeroed at 25 yards I could bang a 6" steel gong at 200 yards no problem.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504616/IMG_0239_jpg-2597977.JPG
View Quote

Looks strange, but I can see how it would work well. Maybe you've started a trend.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I walk my ranch at different times of day. Morning, afternoon, evening. Sometimes I kick up all manner of game very close. Hogs, whitetail, Coyote, Jackrabbit, etc. so have to be prepared to get a shot off quickly. Other times I'll come up on one 50 or 100 yards out, so I have a little more time. I know there is no jack of all trades optic, but I probably need something closer to a red dot than a 6-24x. I was thinking a 1-6 LPVO, but was unsure how quick I could acquire a sight picture versus a red dot or Prism. Also, if I miss a shot, it's  not like I'll be missing dinner.
View Quote

I have a couple of Swampfox Optics LPVO scopes that are a true 1X and find they are just as fast as a traditional red dot when on 1X.  I went with the Swampfox LPVO scopes since the reticles are bigger than the comparable Primary Arms LPVO reticles. I find the Swampfox reticles easier and quicker to use.

The down side to a LPVO versus a red dot is the LPVO is the eye relief. The same goes for prism sights too. I have a Swampfox Blade 1X prism on one AR and I do like it even though it is big and heavy when compared to red dots.

Pick what features are the most important to you and go with the type of optic that fill the majority of your wants/needs.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#14]
NEW 1-6 option from PA just went on pre-order.
Extra bright fiber illumination, simple reticle options.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Leupold 1.5-4? You can get much better for the price and what you are asking for.

But if the gun has capability to go out a few hundred yards and is accurate I would go another direction. I have a VX5HD fire dot in 2.5-10x42 on my Grendel. At 2.5X with the fire dot it is super fast. Almost both eyes open. The good optics gives it a huge feild of view and very little scope shadow which makes a huge difference.  It is vastly different than my 3-9x40 VX Feedom which sounds similar on paper. This is a amazing all-round versatile scope.

If you really want to stay LPVO then I would find a TR24 with cross hairs. I found a old Burris MTAC 1-4 for super cheap and even that is a great site scope with laminated retical.retinal.

If you want a simple cheap light 1-4 you won't beat one of these.
https://imgur.com/wJamKwn
Have it on a 357 MAX handi rifle.
Plain old Leupold 1-4 1" tube. No illumination or anything. I think it was around $250? Super light weight, great warenty and good enough optics. Nice thick reticle makes it fast up close
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Something you could look at is the Primary Arms FFP Raptor line, such as:

https://www.primaryarms.com/pa-1-6x24mm-ffp-illuminated-rifle-scope-with-acss-raptor-556-reticle-black

It's basically a red dot at 1X, so quick target acquisition...  but, if you need to zoom in, you get a little more precision.  I think they make a 1-8 as well, but this is the one I have; it's on an AR, not a bolt action, but I could see it working there as well.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 5:12:41 PM EDT
[#17]
I really like my Leupold 2.5x20. Crazy light, 5" of eye relief, nice bold reticle and I can shoot it with both eyes open. I've got it on my main AR and want to buy another.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2023 1:39:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Trijicon TR25 with triangle post all the way:

The glass is incredible, and at 1x with the diopter properly adjusted, it’s every bit as good as a red dot.

I had great success with mine set to 1x last hunting season:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Killed-It-Grilled-It-My-Son-s-First-Bear-Hunt/5-2595381/
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 10:37:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve always been intrigued by Clint’s REM 700 setup in this video

Remington's Light Tactical Rifle
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I've posted this a few times. It is my brushy TX ranch rifle when not toting an AR or Tavor.
I'm going to switch the 2.5-10 out for an old Burris MTAC 1-4 to see how i like that, and eventually a different stock.
Otherwise, it is a handy setup . Model 7, 16" 308, about 7.5lb I think. It needs grip tape, quite slippery. Usually has an Andy's Leather Rhodesian (I think) sling
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#21]
2-7x or 2.5-8x Leupold or 3-9x Swarovski will be your lightest weight options in a an actual scope.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I am about to buy either a lightweight Bolt in x39, 6.5 Grendel or .308 for walking on my ranch. I will come across Hogs, Whitetail, Coyotes, Fox, Jacks, etc.
What would you recommend for a fast shooting optic to accompany my lightweight rifle? LPVO? Prism? Red Dot?  I'd like to keep the price to under $500. Even less $$ would be great.
What say you Gentleman?
View Quote

For my farm is AZ, I have RAR in .39 topped off with a Burris RT-6 and a suppressor. It is perfect. If I use subsonic ammo, it is almost cheating
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top