Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2018 3:44:37 PM EDT
Used Israeli mags for 19.99 each, not affiliated with them in any way, just know that original mags are hard to come by, I grabbed 5.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Used Israeli mags for 19.99 each, not affiliated with them in any way, just know that original mags are hard to come by, I grabbed 5.
View Quote
Same here.  Got to get em while you can!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
They're not Israeli and they look like crap. If I had to guess from the pictures they look like Rhodesian/Brit L1A1 mags that had the front locking lug separate in the Park tank. If you're desperate for good mags, these aren't them. Two years back Centerfire had Rhodie mags for $6/7/8 apiece with reparked mags at the $8 level. These look like mags from that lot that couldn't be sold after Parkerizing.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess we'll find out, if they are L1A1 then they're going back, if it's just light rust then I'll sand them and paint them black.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
They're very definitely L1A1 mags. If the front locking lug has been removed as shown in all the pictures they will work in a metric FAL(assuming the punched lug is intact).
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Did all L1A1 mags have the metric punched lug underneath the add-on "wide" inch lug? Interesting.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#6]
No, I believe punching in the lug was part of converting inch to metric. The Rhodesians seemed to have a lot of L1A1 mags left over from pre-independence but only managed to come up with metric rifles during the embargo. Just checked a handful of Brit L1A1 mags and there is no punched lug when viewing from inside.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That makes sense. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, I believe punching in the lug was part of converting inch to metric. The Rhodesians seemed to have a lot of L1A1 mags left over from pre-independence but only managed to come up with metric rifles during the embargo. Just checked a handful of Brit L1A1 mags and there is no punched lug when viewing from inside.
View Quote
Do you have a citable source for that? The Rhodesians never had a shortage of FALs and their accompanying magazines. The SLR was never actually withdrawn from service, and would see reissue late in the war, so I doubt they would have a need to butcher the magazines.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got the mags, like new with only dried cosmoline. Very little surface rust on just 1 of them and won't have to paint them. They are metric with no sign of conversion.
Edit: Cleaned them off, Israeli markings on 4 of the 5.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 5:01:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just got the mags, like new with only dried cosmoline. Very little surface rust on just 1 of them and won't have to paint them. They are metric with no sign of conversion.
Edit: Cleaned them off, Israeli markings on 4 of the 5.
View Quote
Just got mine today too.  All have Israeli markings.  I am pleased.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:14:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you all that purchused mags post some pictures? I was under the impression if the magazine floorplate was wider on the sides than the magazine body(like in the ad pictures) these were converted mags?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Ill try to post some tomorrow. I’m no mag expert but there looks to be Hebrew markings on the bottom right corner of the side of the mags.  The mags I got were a little dirty but didn’t seem too bad to me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Do you have a citable source for that? The Rhodesians never had a shortage of FALs and their accompanying magazines. The SLR was never actually withdrawn from service, and would see reissue late in the war, so I doubt they would have a need to butcher the magazines.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They did in fact do this and I had one of those Rhodie mags.  What they did was they ground down the front lug to the dimensions of the beak.  Mine had worn down enough that the fit was really loose and I would always get stoppages on it, so I got rid of it.  I've never heard of them punching out the beak, though.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do you have a citable source for that?......
View Quote
No, I don't. Just conjecture based on twenty yrs of buying Rhodie kits and parts. Bought a hundred of the "Rhodie" mags a couple of yrs ago when Centerfire last had them and about 10% of the lot were converted L1A1 mags like in the current advertisement. They had either little remaining finish or in some cases varying amounts of camo paint. As I mentioned before, Centerfire offered three conditions of these magazines,......camo painted, worn finish and freshly parkerized.

People who ordered mixed lots or just parkerized mags  had their orders delayed for weeks so the assumption was that the 'fresh park' was being done here on worn mags. So my assumption is that this offered lot was left over from that deal. Apparently not,.....

I'm happy to hear people are receiving good Izzy mags rather than the dregs of the last lot. The external floorplate style as shown in the pictures on the website is a feature of commonwealth(L1A1)magazines along with the heavy front locking lug that has obviously been removed from those pictured mags. They've been converted from inch to metric by someone and the Rhodesians did do that. Perhaps the Israelis did too once upon a time if they came across a supply of inch mags. Dunno.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:04:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Just thought of something else,.......

It's 'possible' that the Rhodie converted magazines were actually done later under Mugabe. It's true that Rhodesia ran both inch and metric guns but after the war I don't think the new regime contracted for anything other than Imbel metric pattern rifles. While a metric(or converted inch)magazine will 'sorta' work in a commonwealth receiver, an inch magazine will absolutely not work in a metric receiver. Perhaps it was just done to standardize or to make do. All that Rhodie stuff, kits and magazines, came in with a combination of pre-war and post-war camo colors so it's possible that the mag conversions were done post-Rhodesia.

Still, it's all conjecture based on a couple of pictures on a website that don't accurately reflect the product being sold.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:21:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's 'possible' that the Rhodie converted magazines were actually done later under Mugabe. It's true that Rhodesia ran both inch and metric guns but after the war I don't think the new regime contracted for anything other than Imbel metric pattern rifles. While a metric(or converted inch)magazine will 'sorta' work in a commonwealth receiver, an inch magazine will absolutely not work in a metric receiver. Perhaps it was just done to standardize or to make do. All that Rhodie stuff, kits and magazines, came in with a combination of pre-war and post-war camo colors so it's possible that the mag conversions were done post-Rhodesia.

Still, it's all conjecture based on a couple of pictures on a website that don't accurately reflect the product being sold.
View Quote
I think that's the more plausible scenario, but who knows. Cheers!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:40:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Can you all that purchused mags post some pictures? I was under the impression if the magazine floorplate was wider on the sides than the magazine body(like in the ad pictures) these were converted mags?
View Quote
I don't know where they got the pics from that they posted but the mag body is folded over on the floorplate like they should be. I compared the markings with ones on
other websites and they are indeed Israeli.
Edit: I would post pics but I don't want to waste half my afternoon doing it, if you want a pic send me your email in a PM and I'll send a couple pics for you.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mugabe continued to use the SLRs, at least for a time.  A number of them bear ZA rather than RA markings.
Link Posted: 6/28/2018 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top