Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2021 4:22:12 PM EDT
I have a PS90 and now I am interested in getting a 57 pistol. Anyone have experience with either the FN57 or Ruger 57? Which is the better buy? I like the FN57 because it "completes the collection". But the Ruger57 is newer and has the cutout for an optic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd choose the one that you like the ergos on better. Ruger has had issues with magazines. Mag release too small. The slide is only blued and will surface rust.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the Ruger has superior ergonomics.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The new full FDE Five Seven looks amazing.  Get that.  That's what I'm holding out for.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the Ruger when it first came out, after already having the FN pistol for a while.  I prefer the FN pistol over the Ruger.  The Ruger mag release is poor, the thinner grip doesn’t work as well for me, takedown is easier on the FN, and the Ruger is a bit snappier in recoil that the FN.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 6:27:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the FN FiveSeven.  I have two of them (FDE and Black Mk IIs).   I also have a CMMG Banshee pistol that takes the FN 57 mags.  It is an amazing braced pistol and makes shooting 5.7 a ton of fun.

Banshee 5.7 Pistol
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have small hands and short fingers. The FN was always too big and I never pulled the trigger on a companion for my PS90 SBR.  

The Ruger grip is smaller and works for me. It also has 1911 ergonomics.  It has same/similar grip angle and safety. (Safety on the FN is just strange).

It has very little recoil and is easy to shoot and keep on target.  I highly recommend it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 10:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I did more research on this. The biggest issue with the ruger is the lack of an internal safety which is why they don’t recommend chambering a round unless you are ready to fire. That for me was the deal breaker.
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 10:47:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I did more research on this. The biggest issue with the ruger is the lack of an internal safety which is why they don't recommend chambering a round unless you are ready to fire. That for me was the deal breaker.
View Quote
Literally every manual will tell you not to carry with one in the chamber because anything mechanical always has the possibility of failing. The hammer can't fall unless it's drawn to the final position. When I drop tested this gun, it never dropped the hammer or set off a primer..
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

EXCEPT the magazine release! I have the extended F5 release and it still SUCKS!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the Ruger has superior ergonomics.

EXCEPT the magazine release! I have the extended F5 release and it still SUCKS!

Can you detail that?
Stiff? Small? What?
Link Posted: 8/16/2021 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top