Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2019 7:56:12 PM EDT
I've been going back and forth on whether or not I need one enough to shell out $4500+ for one. I don't plan to buy a sear or anything like that for it but they are kinda cool. Anyone have one that could maybe give some advice or observations as an owner?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#1]
No sear...no way!

The FNC is a pleasant carbine, but not 4500.00 pleasant.  For that money, the Sig 55X platforms are the way to go.

18Z50
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 8:53:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No sear...no way!

The FNC is a pleasant carbine, but not 4500.00 pleasant.  For that money, the Sig 55X platforms are the way to go.

18Z50
View Quote
18Z50 is absolutely 100% correct.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It does just about nothing an AR-15 doesn't do, and most of the things both platforms do, the AR-15 does better, or as well, and more cheaply and with more available parts and mods. For less money, you can get a SCAR-16s which will do all the things the FNC does, but be brand new, and at least have manufacturer support and parts available.

If it weren't for the happy fun switch, I probably wouldn't own the one I have. The resetting 3rb is better than the 3rb on my full auto AR platforms, but I rarely use 3rb other than on my MP5 and FNC, and not often there. As far as I'm concerned, burst control on my full autos is accomplished with my trigger finger - I can squeeze off singles, doubles, 3-4 or let it rip in the auto setting just fine.

It is a bit cool to have Al Pacino's gun from "Heat", though.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:07:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
No sear...no way!

18Z50
View Quote
Agreed. I love my FA FNC. As a semi, the SIG 55x is definitely better.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No sear...no way!

18Z50
By Sig 55X do you mean the ones we got a few years back with the lame AR stocks, or the imported swiss guns?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

By Sig 55X do you mean the ones we got a few years back with the lame AR stocks, or the imported swiss guns?
View Quote
Either.  The funky looking guns are funky looking.  But they shoot amazing.  Just a bit heavy.

Taking AR mags was a big plus.  Think of them as an improved AK.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:04:05 AM EDT
[#7]
No. And I wouldn’t spend that much on a Sig 55X either. They are hard on brass and fling them into the next zip code. They also scratch the hell out of the receiver...which will kill the value. For that kinda coin, I’d be getting a pretty sweet AR or NV. (Providing your don’t already).
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 8:17:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No. And I wouldn’t spend that much on a Sig 55X either. They are hard on brass and fling them into the next zip code. They also scratch the hell out of the receiver...which will kill the value. For that kinda coin, I’d be getting a pretty sweet AR or NV. (Providing your don’t already).
View Quote
Yeah, I just looked on gunbroker and almost choked when I saw the asking prices on both new style and original swiss guns.
I'm a bit burnt out on ARs to be honest, I was just looking for something different to add to the pile.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#9]
55x series swiss guns are amazing machines but gunbroker prices are really out there and they dont generally move unless its a super rare variant. The FNC is in collector status and crazy priced at the moment. Have you looked at the newer cz bren 2s or other newer additions?
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
I mean Swiss guns. Skip the turd that is the US made 556, 551a1.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
55x series swiss guns are amazing machines but gunbroker prices are really out there and they dont generally move unless its a super rare variant. The FNC is in collector status and crazy priced at the moment. Have you looked at the newer cz bren 2s or other newer additions?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Swiss 55x don’t really sell on GB unless they are a low starting price no reserve auction.

Quoted:

Yeah, I just looked on gunbroker and almost choked when I saw the asking prices on both new style and original swiss guns.
I'm a bit burnt out on ARs to be honest, I was just looking for something different to add to the pile.
You can also order a brand new 553 from JDI starting at $3250, which is very reasonable and I’ll very gladly take a Swiss 553 over a semiauto FNC, Bren, etc.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Brass markings on the receiver are self limited and do not significantly affect value. One can also put soft Velcro in that area to prevent it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Brass markings on the receiver are self limited and do not significantly affect value. One can also put soft Velcro in that area to prevent it.
View Quote
I've done that and also used grip tape to stop brass kisses.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or be like me and buy a Swiss 551 already marked up for $2500 so you don't have to worry about it.

If you're bored with ARs and want something different, try a Daewoo K2 (or the post-ban imports). They're very nice, and extremely reliable. You can find aftermarket 90 degree safeties and rails for them now. (The fixed stock is lame though, so either get an original folder or a modern stock attached via an adapter.)

Other good recommendations for current models already in this thread... SCAR, CZ Bren, B&T APC
Those 3 are all built around the same basic layout.

Or there are bullpups like the AUG, Tavor, FS2000.

I don't like Bushmaster's ACR because of the weight.

SL8 to G36 conversions are crazy expensive. The new T36 is expensive too. (I just don't think either is worth what a Swiss/SAN rifle is worth).
I have a few HK G36 models and they're good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Or be like me and buy a Swiss 551 already marked up for $2500 so you don't have to worry about it.
View Quote
My used SAN 55x rifles, I shoot without concern re: wear. My new ones get Velcro or deck tape.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#16]
I found an FNC for $2500 at a LGS and snatched it immediately. I'd do it again. I wouldn't do it at 4.5K as you see them somewhat often for 4K online.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I found an FNC for $2500 at a LGS and snatched it immediately. I'd do it again. I wouldn't do it at 4.5K as you see them somewhat often for 4K online.
View Quote
Absolutely. I paid $2250 for mine around 09.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 9:28:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I talk to one of you FNC owners awhile back reference a FNC mag. IM me

CD
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Had one for a bit and loved it, always feared shooting it however, as there were no parts available if something broke. Very cool rifle to shoot though, and stupid accurate.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#20]
FNC magazine
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Base plate unmarked,  I just marked it for ID
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 9:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I remember when Turners Outdoor in S. Cal was blowing them out for $499... put one on layaway and then changed my mind....
Link Posted: 11/29/2019 11:16:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I did the same thing at a LGS a while back.  Dumb move on my end.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Josh is correct as usual.  I prefer my 550/551/552/751 over my FNC any day of the week.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 12:10:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Josh is correct as usual.  I prefer my 550/551/552/751 over my FNC any day of the week.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Much better platform.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 10:06:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ll be the dissenting voice here. I really like my semi FNC. To be fair, my first experience with an FNC was quite positive, and it was years before I found mine. So it made my bucket list. I also really like my Sig 551a1(since they’ve been mentioned). I honestly don’t understand why so many people trash talk those. I bought quite a few mags for mine when I bought it, of course wish I had bought a few more.

I have shot both a lot, even some 3 gun with both. The only bitch I have with the Sig is that I can’t put my Gemtech Halo on it because if the barrel shoulder behind the FH. The FNC, I can mount it no problem. My FNC will run Pmags, though some won’t. Do a little homework before you buy one. There were quite a few with 1/12 barrels(though not all) as that was a thing back then. There is some decent info out there about how to tell the difference. Of course if you’re into the retro ARs, then it won’t be any big deal. It doesn’t have a last round hold open, though I’ve heard that original mags will perform this function(I don’t have any yet). They have a 2 position gas system, not that most of us ever get them that dirty. My FNC came with a weaver type mount(A.R.M.S. I think), that I then machined the appropriate slots to fit an ACOG. I will say being able to mount an optic does make the rifle a bit more usable, though I find the irons to be perfectly serviceable. You’ll want to find/make a cheek piece if you mount an optic, on the Para model (folding stock) anyway. Para models seem to be by far the most common-though I have seen a few fixed stock FNCs. Green Mountain did make replacement barrels for these, should you have the want or need. There are also a few Swedish AK5(their FNC variant) parts out there as well. . If the rifles weren’t quite so expensive I would have more of them already. If parts kits for either FNCs, AK5s, or that Pindad clone ever become available here, I’ll be building a few.

I don’t think you’ll regret getting one, if you’re interested. I certainly don’t, it’s one of my favorites for sure. Now that said I’m not as into all of the newer rifles coming out that a lot of people here are. I’m kind of a sucker for M16A1 and M16A2 generations of 5.56 rifles and carbines(you know, all that 1970s and 80s stuff).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top