Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2018 2:24:50 PM EDT
I started browsing this forum to justify my decision to buy a FLIR Scout TK (preowned if I could find one) to look for critters with my daughter around the property. Not even to shoot them, just see them.

Now I have a shiney new PTS233 on the way from one of the site industry partners (wish I could support all of them, but alas $$$).

Thanks, ARFCOM. Damn gun nuts....this is worse than the AR pistol forum.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Enjoy, it's a blast! I will say i've probably used mine a little less over the summer because it's so hot and the outside temps don't have much differential. But when it was a little cooler out, I was outside constantly looking around at stuff.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Enjoy, it's a blast! I will say i've probably used mine a little less over the summer because it's so hot and the outside temps don't have much differential. But when it was a little cooler out, I was outside constantly looking around at stuff.
View Quote
Haha I concur. It's hard not to turn that sumbitch on every night just to see what's lurking around outside.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:53:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Wife okayed the purchase today and I have one on the way too!  She’s been curious about the animals in the yard at night. I’m excited.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd love to handle one of these for a weekend to decide if it'll work for me. I've rented a Reap IR for 3 weekends now and I'm in love with it, but at 8k....there's a reason I rent it.

For $2k that's very doable if it's actually worthy.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd love to handle one of these for a weekend to decide if it'll work for me. I've rented a Reap IR for 3 weekends now and I'm in love with it, but at 8k....there's a reason I rent it.

View Quote
The Flir is definitely worth 2k. What are you hunting and at what ranges?

Renting the reap for 3 weekends had to be expensive too though, eh? Would’ve been well on your way to owning that Flir.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:41:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Renting the reap for 3 weekends had to be expensive too though, eh? Would’ve been well on your way to owning that Flir.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, $300 a weekend isn't cheap, but it was spread out over some time, 3 separate weekends.

Coyotes only, and I'd really like to be able to spot at 500+ yards. I live on over 2k acres and have lots of flat open areas. The reap ir has been used to spot coyotes at 1k for me and I love the size and functionality of it.

Obviously this isn't a fair comparison, but if I can tell there's an animal at 500yds, that would work for me.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Obviously this isn't a fair comparison, but if I can tell there's an animal at 500yds, that would work for me.
View Quote
It will.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yup, $300 a weekend isn't cheap, but it was spread out over some time, 3 separate weekends.

Coyotes only, and I'd really like to be able to spot at 500+ yards. I live on over 2k acres and have lots of flat open areas. The reap ir has been used to spot coyotes at 1k for me and I love the size and functionality of it.

View Quote
You will be able to spot coyotes at 500 no problem.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:26:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Just to be clear, you will be able to tell there's something there. Identify, I'm not sure about how far. I have used the PTS233 to spot coyotes at 400+, but never pulled the trigger bc I wasn't 100% sure of what it was. That's a different damn topic though. The furthest I've detected something so far has been cows at 1100 yards. How'd I know they were cows? Bc we put them there
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, you will be able to tell there's something there. Identify, I'm not sure about how far. I have used the PTS233 to spot coyotes at 400+, but never pulled the trigger bc I wasn't 100% sure of what it was. That's a different damn topic though. The furthest I've detected something so far has been cows at 1100 yards. How'd I know they were cows? Bc we put them there
View Quote
Yes sir, I was careful to not say identify for that reason. I would never shoot that far, even with the reap ir I've used I haven't shot anything over 200ish yards, it's so hard to judge distance with thermal so I typically wait until i know it's close.

You guys are killing me right now though, I was just about to start a custom 6.5 CM rifle, but I already have one of those....I definitely dont have thermal.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You guys are killing me right now though, I was just about to start a custom 6.5 CM rifle, but I already have one of those....I definitely dont have thermal.
View Quote
Uh oh then don't watch this to know for sure that you can see small critters at a long distance away.

I killed the largest hog saying out of this group and it weighed approximately 175 pounds.

Plenty of them in this group that were coyotes sized.  To be fair and honest, these are probably no more than 400 yards away. I believe I said in the description of the video that far tree line is 650.

hogs at distance Flir pts233 (320/19mm)
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's some footage of two guys and a dog through the PTS233 at 300 yards. You'll definitely be able to detect a coyote at 500.

https://youtu.be/_PQuX1yVntY?t=11m35s
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here's some footage of two guys and a dog through the PTS233 at 300 yards. You'll definitely be able to detect a coyote at 500.

https://youtu.be/_PQuX1yVntY?t=11m35s
View Quote
Fuck....you guys must be sick, getting joy out of watching me blow $2k on this. Y'all need help.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top