Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I had an opportunity to try one of these scopes with the intention of buying it cheap from a coworker. I couldn’t get past having anything with GPS and Bluetooth capability on a weapon I own. There is just too much room for fuckery with something like that-you never know what it is reporting back about where you have taken the weapon, when, what you were shooting at, what you saw at the time you pulled the trigger. I mean, what could be more useful than data on what position a gun was fired from, what time of day, what direction and inclination it was fired from, what the shooter targeted......

By hook or by crook, these things will tattle on you, either by ATN harvesting the data and being subpoenaed or by the unit being directly quieried via Bluetooth.

Does anyone really expect that ATN doesn’t collect information about how their products are used for their benefit and to datamine for sale to other companies? I’d be shocked to find they don’t.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had an opportunity to try one of these scopes with the intention of buying it cheap from a coworker. I couldn’t get past having anything with GPS and Bluetooth capability on a weapon I own. There is just too much room for fuckery with something like that-you never know what it is reporting back about where you have taken the weapon, when, what you were shooting at, what you saw at the time you pulled the trigger. I mean, what could be more useful than data on what position a gun was fired from, what time of day, what direction and inclination it was fired from, what the shooter targeted......

By hook or by crook, these things will tattle on you, either by ATN harvesting the data and being subpoenaed or by the unit being directly quieried via Bluetooth.

Does anyone really expect that ATN doesn’t collect information about how their products are used for their benefit and to datamine for sale to other companies? I’d be shocked to find they don’t.
View Quote
If you hunt with your mobile phone in your pocket, you’re already doing everything you mentioned — and more.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:58:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you hunt with your mobile phone in your pocket, you’re already doing everything you mentioned — and more.
View Quote
The phone will tell them you were present at the time a gun fired, and may pick up some  amount of the recoil on the accelerometers if it was you holding the gun. This is different.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:32:02 AM EDT
[#4]
At least you can take the battery out and render it inoperable?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:42:27 AM EDT
[#5]
LOL just faraday bag it...
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LOL just faraday bag it...
View Quote
Silent Pocket FTW!
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Nah, soon enough it will be a "red flag" if you dont have your .gov issued monitoring device (that you pay for) on you at all times. I mean what sort of weirdo wouldt do it, what are they hiding?
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Nah, soon enough it will be a "red flag" if you dont have your .gov issued monitoring device (that you pay for) on you at all times. I mean what sort of weirdo wouldt do it, what are they hiding?
View Quote
If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 7:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
You’re missing the point
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#10]
No! The point is that there's alarm about this, and just about everything electronic that you currently do can be monitored! Hell, I have an old Bearcat scanners that can pick up cellphone calls very easily! If you think that you're doing things that nobody is looking at, you're in a fantasy world! The NSA didn't build their huge new facility to sit idle. It has capability that we can only imagine for monitoring electronic traffic! This little bump about ATN is pretty much insignificant.

I think this is where the Horta is coming from. If you don't have anything to hide, you have nothing to get excited about. As I said before, if it makes someone's day to see I bought a ATN item (of all things!) then I could give a rats ass! Lotta time wasted on someone's part! AtN stuff is no where at the top of the pile of anything special in my opinion!
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You’re missing the point
View Quote
I was being facetious.

That said, this genie is out of the bottle and it ain’t going back in, unless we luck out and get hit with a Carrington Event. We can gripe and lament all we want, but the sad fact is we’re paying monthly to carry around our own surveillance device and have become addicted to them to boot.

We’re fughed. There is no privacy. 1984 is here to stay.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 8:51:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh I know. Show me the man I'll show you the crime. I mean, really, how hard is to fake electronic records.
Link Posted: 9/19/2019 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I was being facetious.

That said, this genie is out of the bottle and it ain’t going back in, unless we luck out and get hit with a Carrington Event. We can gripe and lament all we want, but the sad fact is we’re paying monthly to carry around our own surveillance device and have become addicted to them to boot.

We’re fughed. There is no privacy. 1984 is here to stay.
View Quote
Ah, gotcha ??
That’s the truth and it hurts. The younger generation has it and will have it worse. They’ve been conditioned to have their whole life data mined and algorithms tell them what they like/don’t like, what to think, be mad at, etc etc

If they ever roll out a social credit system like what the fucking Chicoms are doing.....oh boy
Link Posted: 9/23/2019 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Ah, gotcha ??
That’s the truth and it hurts. The younger generation has it and will have it worse. They’ve been conditioned to have their whole life data mined and algorithms tell them what they like/don’t like, what to think, be mad at, etc etc

If they ever roll out a social credit system like what the fucking Chicoms are doing.....oh boy
View Quote
We have given up a lot of freedom for convenience.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top