Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2018 6:00:58 PM EDT
My dad has talked about wanting a .308 semi-auto rifle for a long time. He wont buy one for himself, so the wife and I agreed it would be a good birthday gift for him this year.

First off, I was born and raised on the AR. We both have multiple 5.56 ARs, and I have 6.5 and 6.8. He doesnt want an AR10, he wants something different. Doesnt need to be a 1/2 moa shooter, we have bolt guns for that and this is intended to be a battle rifle.

He likes the M14 style weapon and of course the FAL. I have mentioned the HK options in the past and he was interested, but I know jack squat about those.

So between the M1A and FAL, what would yall pick? I have a saker 7.62 that will occasionally run on whichever rifle I get him. Use will be banging steel within 3-400 yds (probably keeping irons only, maybe an aimpoint) and I'm sure he will take it to the farm for some deer and pig hunts. I have shot the M1A quite a bit and love the irons, looking at the socom 16 or the 18" scout. On the FAL side, the DSA 16" look awesome.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive never shot a FAL. However I did have a SOCOM II variant and currently have a standard M1A. I wish I would have gotten the Scout Squad version instead of the SOCOM II.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Both are fine rifles. I like the irons better on the M1A, but they are a pain to scope. The FAL can be scoped easily, but the irons aren't as good. The trigger is better on the M1A, the FAL trigger is short but heavy. I like the manual of arms better on the FAL personally. Also the FAL is easier to take apart to clean. I like the classic look of the M1A with wood stocks, more hunting rifle look, less battle rifle look. I think the M1A Scout is a great option, easier to scope with scout scope mount on there already, good barrel length. I know my dad would prefer M1A, since he grew up on the Garand.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW... I've had (operative word) two M1As, an inch pattern L1A1, and AR10 (16")... if you plan on scoping it, re consider the AR10... much easier to mount on the rail... both of my M1As were exceptionally accurate, and hampered only by my vision... I even built a front sight mount that relocated to the gas system... excellent triggers...the L1A1 was nose heavy, and the Australian rear sight was not as usable as some of my friend's STG58 kit guns or the M1A's sight... the inch pattern magazines at the time were more difficult to find than the metric FAL magazines....
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#4]
This pains me to say because I love my fal and if I had to pick one I might take the fal over the M1a. However from a shooters point of view my M1a is lighter, more accurate, has a better trigger and sights. If I were him and he just wants something different I’d probably recommend the M1a. Or he could just get an M1a, fal and g3 like I’m sure many of us ended up doing
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#5]
SCAR 17s
HK 91
FNFAL
M1a loaded
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I prefer shooting an M1A.  The FAL feels like it has more muzzle climb and is harder for me to control.  I only shot one once though.  So it might not be a full view of it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2018 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Tough call I like the commonwealth pattern SLR and I like the M1a.

If dad is a berm blaster the FAL.  If he likes to pick his targets and squeeze them off, the M1a.

Very good M1a magazines are being made by checkmate.  Not sure if there are any new l1a1 mags out there so you would have to hunt them up.  Many more metric FAL guns and mags out there.    Parts support is drying up on the FAL.

A nice FAL is a grand.  A nice M1a is $1200 or so.  An used century is $600-800 depending on condition.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an M1A Scout Squad and 2 FALs. I would grab either if I had too.
You search around and sometimes come into an FAL a bit cheaper than the M1A.

It's not too hard to see back spare parts for the FAL as there are still cut barrel kits around for not too much.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:31:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I have both - FAL's (DSA) and M1A's (Springfield).

M1A - Classy, looks smooth, US tradition, Rather accurate, enjoyable to shoot, not a great platform to add glass (just a PITA to set up),  Less recoil

FAL - Not as classy, looks mean, not US tradition, Ok accuracy, FUN as hell to blast thru mags, can add optics with rail added, More recoil.

Overall, if I were to get a nice gift for my Father, i'd go with the M1A - just a nice classy good shooter.  The FAL wins on sure blasting fun, just hammer away with it - and you are hammering.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:56:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Between FAL and M14?

FAL.

Smarter design.. sorry I love the M14 after all is a classic weapon but the FAL is just a superior design.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up shooting a mentor buddy's real FN FAL & always wanted one. Few years ago I was able to find a real FN (albeit kit gun due to the way it was imported) & got it. Shoots phenominally & doesn't care about ammo type whatsoever. With iron sights steel at 300yds all day isn't a problem.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll have to agree with this. I have an STG 58 and a Socom II. I really like them both but I think the fal is just a better shooter I love the darn thing
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:30:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I would take the FAL every time. However I'd want an 18" barrel with the para stock. Keep in mind the majority of FALs are a 3-4 MOA rifle on a good day. Some nicer ones will maybe do 2.5 MOA. Much like the fanatics clinging to their M1As, there are those for the FAL who won't accept the truth about its inaccuracy. If you want an accurate 308 semi-auto, you need to go for an AR10, and if that's off the table the next best option is a CETME/G3 variant such as the PTR91.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#14]
FAL.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I prefer the M1A of those two. Get a scout if you plan to ever mount optics.

For the $$ a PTR91 G3 with rail is a great buy. It will get you in something different for sub $1,000 That you can instantly mount optics and the irons are fantastic if you don't. Magazines are almost free. I got a case of them new for $100. Old stock never issued. Not even sure how many mags just a big ass box. I pulled 10 out and just packed up the rest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I have owned all of the mainstream semi auto 308s including a SCAR.  If you want to ever mount a can and SCARs and AR10s are not an option, you want an M1A.  Either 16" or 18", one is easier to mount a can than the other.

And if your Dad is not a tinkerer and you want something off the shelf with a high chance of working as is, again the M1A vs. FAL or HK.

Its not even close in my mind.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve owned them all. I still own an m14.

Why do folks claim the m14 is tough to scope? My Basset mount goes right on with one bolt and is repeatably accurate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#18]
This one is easy for me because I won't buy anything SA, Inc.

So FAL all the way.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 1:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve owned them all. I still own an m14.

Why do folks claim the m14 is tough to scope? My Basset mount goes right on with one bolt and is repeatably accurate.
View Quote
I had a few different scope mounts over the years for my M14 clones and invariable they were always a PITA to get to work.  I tried one with the ability to still use the sights, but the scope was up so high that it required a cheek piece which then precluded the use of irons.  When I went to an ARMS pattern low mount, I had to get higher rings to get the scope to clear the rear sights and now was 100% dependent on optics as I could no longer use the irons.  Factor in that whenever you pull the action out of the stock you're going to change the zero it just turned out to be easier to keep them irons only.  On my bush length I did end up putting an ultimak mount with T2 on and that's been great for using the irons but adding the speed of a red dot.

All that said, I do love my M14s for their great sights and being solid shooters.  My brother has had a few FALs and they're all awesome, i'd love to get one, but just haven't found one in the price point I want at the moment.

If it's a first rifle and he's just looking to blast, y'all may want to consider a PTR GI PTR91.  Price is lower, mags are dirt cheap, can be customized to look how you want and they're pretty easy to scope compared to the other two.  The FAL is also another great choice for a berm blaster, as previously identified.  If he prefers more iron sight target shooting, a full length M14 clone is hard to beat.

Not sure that all helps, but its my two cents.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I have both. I love both. In your position, if I could get an F A L with a full length StG58 barrel or a full length bipod cut Argentine barrel, then the F A L would be my choice. If you can't find the aforementioned, I would get an M1A.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 6:28:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I had a few different scope mounts over the years for my M14 clones and invariable they were always a PITA to get to work.  I tried one with the ability to still use the sights, but the scope was up so high that it required a cheek piece which then precluded the use of irons.  When I went to an ARMS pattern low mount, I had to get higher rings to get the scope to clear the rear sights and now was 100% dependent on optics as I could no longer use the irons.  Factor in that whenever you pull the action out of the stock you're going to change the zero it just turned out to be easier to keep them irons only.  On my bush length I did end up putting an ultimak mount with T2 on and that's been great for using the irons but adding the speed of a red dot.

All that said, I do love my M14s for their great sights and being solid shooters.  My brother has had a few FALs and they're all awesome, i'd love to get one, but just haven't found one in the price point I want at the moment.

If it's a first rifle and he's just looking to blast, y'all may want to consider a PTR GI PTR91.  Price is lower, mags are dirt cheap, can be customized to look how you want and they're pretty easy to scope compared to the other two.  The FAL is also another great choice for a berm blaster, as previously identified.  If he prefers more iron sight target shooting, a full length M14 clone is hard to beat.

Not sure that all helps, but its my two cents.
View Quote
Now, I'm not trying to be a jerk, but do you expect to use your irons on AR when you put a scope on it?  In fact, how many style guns actually give you that option?

I fail to see how things you claim are problems, are really problems.  If you go with real low arms mount, you can try and get rings as low as possible and then your cheek weld isn't too bad.   You could even take off the rear sight to make it pretty low. But even if you don't go that low, it's not that bad.   I personally don't find a high scope mount a really huge problem.

Link Posted: 1/21/2018 8:08:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Had a M1a and a HK91 and sold both to keep a FAL

Took it out today shooting

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 8:40:59 PM EDT
[#24]
You sir know how to make a convincing argument
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#25]
This.

I have both, and prefer the M14 type rifle. I would not get a Springfield. It will take a little more work (but less money) to get a Chinese M14S and install a flash suppressor with bayonet lug, swap the rear sight elevation pinion, maybe the connector lock (for length), and get a nice stock for it. Wood for looks, or synthetic for better performance.

I also use the ARMS #18 and find it to be the best scope base. Combine it with Q.D. rings, and you can detach the scope whenever you want to use irons. I have the old 2 pad version, and it's almost like it isn't there when the scope is gone. The current ones are great also.

M14 sights are much better than FAL sights.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#26]
My advice would be avoid the fal if you plan to supress it. I've had 2 fals, and they are fantastic, but they aren't designed for cans. I bent the piston on one running that way. Because of the way the gas system works, it just beats the hell out of the action.
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I might try to strike up a conversation about it and get a better feel for what he would pick. Based on some of the replies, I do think the M1A has better features for what he would use it for (aimed fired, not mag dumps at a paint can. Dad's a rifleman and carried an A2 in the Army). But the FAL is the right arm of the free world, and he grew up reading about the selous scouts and always talks about how cool the Rhodesian rifles looked....
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I would look for an older Springfield M1A.  They have better parts in them, almost all GI if you go back far enough.  There are other M1A options, but they are more expensive.

One other thing to consider, mags.  FAL mags are harder to come by, while the Checkmate M1A mags are great, and can be found easily.  I have both, actually, 2 FALs, and the M1A gets shot more.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#29]
OP said aimpoints and a can, between FAL and shortened M1A variants with a rail up front, its a no brainer...   I love both and would be hard pressed if I just had to have one, but I have never put a can on my FAL or full length M1A.  The former doesn't like cans nor are they easy to mount, the latter isn't easy either and it would feel 6 feet long with a can...  actually it might be close to that with a tape measure.

Now that I refresh my memory on the shorter M1A variants, I think the SOCOM is easier for can mounting.  Might want to call up Smith Enterprises or post a question in silencer sub forum.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:54:48 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm a FAL person, but it sounds like the M1A would fit your dad's needs better.

I'm also kind of confused about people saying FALs don't like being suppressed. They have a very adjustable gas system and normally a threaded barrel albeit in a more unusual thread pattern. Seems like newer DSAs come in 5/8x24 as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#31]
For popping steel and for a red blooded American, get the M1A.

While I love both. The M1A sights are more user friendly. And they are usually more accurate.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 8:16:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm a FAL person, but it sounds like the M1A would fit your dad's needs better.

I'm also kind of confused about people saying FALs don't like being suppressed. They have a very adjustable gas system and normally a threaded barrel albeit in a more unusual thread pattern. Seems like newer DSAs come in 5/8x24 as well.
View Quote
Try it. I did, and the end result was a bent piston on my inch pattern and a piston and carrier showing heavy wear on my DSA. The way the system works doesn't regulate gas into the face of the piston (the gas plug) it just let's the excess blead off once the piston starts moving. I considered having a custom plug made, but between the design hurdles and the cost I gave up and just accepted that these two rifles don't like to be surpressed.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#33]
M1A - had one since 1978.  I really liked it.  Deer hunted with it, used it on duty (great road block rifle) and had lots of fun plinking with it.

FAL - had one for a few years.  I liked it.  Made a liar out of all those claims about being too heavy, having a bad trigger and having heavy recoil.  Had I bought it first, I might not ever have bought an M1A.  Gave it to my youngest son after fixing the gas system issues (gas port too small for the shortened barrel length).

DPMS GII - haven't had it long but I really like it.  So far, very reliable and accurate (with SA surplus, haven't' gotten around to loading for it yet, but looking forward to it).

M1A - mine has a traditional scope mount on it (meaning it's screwed to the side of the receiver).  I've never had any issues with it working loose or moving around.  I never take it off either.  If I were scoping a new M1A today I'd try one of those barrel mounts/scout scope mounts.  I have one on an M1 Garand and it's great (Amega Ranges with a LER 2X8 pistol scope on it).

Spare parts availability is a point I always consider.  Spare parts are readily available for the M1A since many of them are the same as the M1 Garand.  I'd say finding a gunsmith to fix things your dad can't fix/replace is probably easier than finding a gunsmith to work on the FAL (not 100% sure of that, but it seems likely based on the fewer number of FALs out there vs. M1 Garands and M1As.)

FAL - I never like the scope mount options for the FAL.  I had one on it, I just didn't trust those little screw clamps not to work loose (sooner or later).  Mine never came loose, but I always worried about it.

Spare parts?  I have no idea, but while surfing for parts for other rifles I seldom come across a place selling general parts for the FAL.  Same for gunsmithing.  I know there are people out there that do it, but not like for the M1/M1A.

I know you said he doesn't like the AR type rifles, but right now, if I was going to buy yet another .308 semi auto it would be another GII.  M1A will have to "live" with the fact that the only brothers it will ever have are the M1 Garands I have.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Ditto on suppressing the FAL.  Mine will suppress well, if I turn the gas off and cycle it by hand. With the para rear sight, just flip it up to 250 to be right on at 100 (150 yard peep sighted in at 100). Someone on Fal Files made a run of special gas plugs, with smaller gas hole. Would like to see video of how well they work.

Have never tried to suppress my M1a's, but read they have their own set of problems, especially large amount of gas to face.  There are work arounds for this, but would have to wonder if it is worth the trouble for the amount of time you would want to run suppressed.

For 308 semi suppressed, am using ar-10 style with adjustable gas block.  Tried the heavier springs/weights, but the adj gas block works much better and is much easier on the rifle.

For accuracy would pick a good M1A over FAL.  For durability and ease of cleaning, would pick FAL over M1A.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This one is easy for me because I won't buy anything SA, Inc.

So FAL all the way.
View Quote
Well there are other M14 clones, LRB, SEI, Fulton, James River Armory, Norinco, Federal Ordnance
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#36]
FAL.

The M14 balances like a cinder block tied to the end of a 4 foot stick. If he's shooting from a rest, M14. If he wants a blaster he can carry through the woods, FAL.

Mag changes, bolt manipulation, optics mounting, and parts availability are all also superior on the FAL.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 7:23:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I have six FALs, a PTR-91, and an AR-10 build in-progress; no M14/M1A. I'd take either two of the former over the M-14-type anyday. Better ergonomics for me, accuracy is a wash between stock models of all three, and the sights on the FAL and PTR are rugged and suit me fine out to 600m, which is further than I'd likely ever be shooting except for fun. The FAL cannot be beat when it comes to field stripping and cheap spare parts, either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:24:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I would take him to the gun store and let him pick.

It is an individual choice.  Look at the responses here.

It's not like you are getting him a Heritage 22 for just over $100

You are above 1K.
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#39]
How about a .308 Garand?

Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#40]
All comes down to personal preference and availability at the time and resources.  I grew up on the M1 Garand and later got a Venezuelan FN49.  My first experience with the M14 was getting issued a XM21 with ART II scope.  Carried the same M14 NM in Kenya, Iraq and All Army Matches shooting with irons out to 1000 yds.  Mount a SA Scout rail to it in 04' along with a EoTech 552.  Last M14 I had was a Winchester with plastic stock in Astan in 14'

FALs, bought my first SA SAR48 Bush Rifle back in 87' and install a ARMs top cover and mounted a Simmons 2.5x scope to drop my longest shot on a deer at 300m.  Also cut the bolt and added a Israeli forward assist.  Later in West Germany 89' got a Belgium 50.00 with a Douglas Premium Match barrel that was extremely accurate for $1!.  Course couldn't bring back to US so sold for my money back to another team mate (89' Import Ban )  With the FN49 and FAL with their adjustable gas system not limited to type of ammo shoot.  Also you can shut the gas off (to G setting) to make it a straight pull bolt action so you don't have to chase brass.  Had couple other 50.00s I used in Iraq throughout the years in Iraq.  I wouldn't mind carrying one if I had enough magazines.

Don't currently have either one.  Building a Mk11/M110 clone and won't mind having a SCAR Mk17, those things run hard.

CD
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote
That was going to be my suggestion.

I have a 'rescued' M1 that's getting re-barreled with a .308 Criterion tube and re-stocked in new wood as well ... which, interestingly, looks very much like the wood on the M1 in your pic.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 8:44:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Not as common as the M1A or Garand but from the same lineage, the BM59 just to be a little different...
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:13:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Ditto on suppressing the FAL.  Mine will suppress well, if I turn the gas off and cycle it by hand. With the para rear sight, just flip it up to 250 to be right on at 100 (150 yard peep sighted in at 100). Someone on Fal Files made a run of special gas plugs, with smaller gas hole. Would like to see video of how well they work.

Have never tried to suppress my M1a's, but read they have their own set of problems, especially large amount of gas to face.  There are work arounds for this, but would have to wonder if it is worth the trouble for the amount of time you would want to run suppressed.

For 308 semi suppressed, am using ar-10 style with adjustable gas block.  Tried the heavier springs/weights, but the adj gas block works much better and is much easier on the rifle.

For accuracy would pick a good M1A over FAL.  For durability and ease of cleaning, would pick FAL over M1A.
View Quote
It works great. He still does them for a donation and providing him a gas plug if you want to be able to swap between them.  I went with an ajustable plug on the M1A as well and the breach shield helps, but it's still not great:

Helpful Hint: Modified Gas Plug for Suppressing the FN FAL
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had them both for years. Thought I'd like the M1A better but ended up liking the FAL more.

Tried both scoped.  Both sucked.

Like them each with 18" barrels, and iron sights.

It's definitely subjective.  That's a good idea to try to find out what he wants.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#46]
I shot a Match grade M1A for about a decade before I sold it to another competitor.   It was a 1 MOA rifle with hand loads or a good lot of M852.  It was a 1.5 MOA rifle with a good lot of M118.   The M1A is very accurate in match grade trim, but is more of a 3 MOA rifle in battle rifle trim. It points well, and handles well.

I own an inch pattern FAL, built with an Australian L1A1 parts kit, and like any other FAL it has great ergonomics and feels both lighter and shorter than it really is.  But they are 3-4 MOA rifles and the light weight barrels heat up quickly.  There are not really all that many accurizing options and while you can get heavy barrels for them, it totally ruins the handling traits that make a FAL a FAL.

I also owned an SAR-8 - the Springfield Armory made clone of the HK-91.  It is the polar opposite of the FAL given that the HK-91 and high quality clones like the SAR-8 are quite accurate (they'll give a match grade M1A a run for it's money with a properly mounted scope), but feel longer and heavier than they actually are. I still have the FAL, I turned the SAR-8 into money a long time ago.

I do have a Garand in .308 and it's also a very nice shooting rifle, and like any Garand, you can do a lot to accurize them.  In both .30-06 or .308 they'll usually shoot in the 1.0 to 2.0 MOA range with a newer commercial barrel or even with a 1960's arsenal rebuild barrel.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted: ...I would take the FAL every time. However I'd want an 18" barrel with the para stock.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Had both, sold the M1A.  Found the FAL more "ergonomic".
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It works great. He still does them for a donation and providing him a gas plug if you want to be able to swap between them.  I went with an ajustable plug on the M1A as well and the breach shield helps, but it's still not great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcjwzufxkb4
View Quote
THANKS!  Still have a SiCo flash hider that takes madd Saker mounted on a para.
Link Posted: 1/27/2018 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#50]
The Fal keeps it weight closer to ya, as in it feels better balanced to a lot of us.  Have a viltor adj pistol grip stock on a M1A socom, that brings the weight in much closer if adjusted shorter lop.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top