Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2018 12:56:27 PM EDT
Hey, guys. I know this must have been covered before, but I'm getting ready to twist my Imbel kit together on an older, Coonan receiver (I've checked for defects pointed out by Gunplumber and it seems GTG) and I want to purchase headspace gauges. In my limited experience, only a no go and/or field gauge is really needed. Would you guys say this is correct? I want the weapon to safely feed both 7.62x51 and .308, so am wondering which spec to use, and whether the Clymer or Forster gauges would be better for the FAL. (I know there are a plethora of gauges out there, some specifically for the M240B or M14) Any help would be much appreciated. The only other thing I need are a few 922R parts and an FAL barrel vice. (I've considered making my own out of hardwood, or having a friend cast it from bronze and cut it in half.)
I'm really looking forward to getting this thing up and running. I'll be shooting mostly milsurp 7.62x51 and cheap bulk ammo through it, so ammo recommendations (or ammo to stay away from) would also be appreciated. It will be a scoped, 21" fixed stock. (poor man's DMR.) Thanks! - Morg
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a go and a no-go, both Clymer IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I use a go and a no-go, both Clymer IIRC.
View Quote
^This
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#3]
SAAMI .308 Winchester
GO: 1.630 in.
NO-GO: 1.634 in.
FIELD: 1.638 in.

FN FAL
GO: 1.6325 in. (FN & Brit/commonwealth. Canadian is 1.6315 in.)
NO-GO: 1.638 in.
FIELD: 1.640 in.

7.62 NATO (M14 US MILSPEC)
GO: 1.6355 in.
FIELD: 1.6445 in.

FWIW, both Jerry Kuhnhausen and Clint McKee recommend a 1.631-1.632 headspace for rifles that will be using both .308 and 7.62 NATO. The stated rationale is that almost all 7.62 NATO manufacturers (especially U.S. makers) hold their ammunition to minimum dimensions.
The general FALFiles recommendation seems to be to headspace to the above FAL specs (not surprising), which means your .308 Win "no-go" becomes your "go", and the .308 Win "field" becomes the "no-go". This is based on most of these rifles being used with 7.62 NATO milsurp ammo; while U.S. makers hold tight dimensions, not all foreign makers do.
For a FAL shooting mostly milsurp and bulk .308, the FAL specs are a good choice, IMO.

As to brand of gauge, either Clymer or Forster will work. I use Clymer. You will want a set of pin gauges, too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SAAMI .308 Winchester
GO: 1.630 in.
NO-GO: 1.634 in.
FIELD: 1.638 in.

FN FAL
GO: 1.6325 in. (FN & Brit/commonwealth. Canadian is 1.6315 in.)
FIELD: 1.640 in.

7.62 NATO (M14 US MILSPEC)
GO: 1.6355 in.
FIELD: 1.6445 in.

FWIW, both Jerry Kuhnhausen and Clint McKee recommend a 1.631-1.632 headspace for rifles that will be using both .308 and 7.62 NATO. The stated rationale is that almost all 7.62 NATO manufacturers (especially U.S. makers) hold their ammunition to minimum dimensions.
The general FALFiles recommendation seems to be to headspace to the above FAL specs (not surprising), which means your .308 Win "no-go" becomes your "go", and the .308 Win "field" becomes the "no-go". This is based on most of these rifles being used with 7.62 NATO milsurp ammo; while U.S. makers hold tight dimensions, not all foreign makers do.
For a FAL shooting mostly milsurp and bulk .308, the FAL specs are a good choice, IMO.

As to brand of gauge, either Clymer or Forster will work. I use Clymer. You will want a set of pin gauges, too.
View Quote
This too. Also if you can find it, read Gun Plumbers rundown of head spacing. It will clarify things for you greatly.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 12:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You will want a set of pin gauges, too.
View Quote
Yep!

And if using a newer DSA receiver, get them down to 0.250" or so!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top