Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2020 9:43:17 PM EDT
I have a  STG Austrian  kit  on a coonan receiver. It has deep scratches on chamber. Was that way when I got it.  have to have gas turned up or stuck cases. I was thinking a 18" barrel. I see DSA sells complete barrel assy.   I know nothing about fals.  This sa58 assy  fit my coonan  receiver ?
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Will it fit? Yes.  Will it time up right without shaving the shoulder, shimming or swaging?  Probably not.  Will the existing locking shoulder give you the correct headspace?  Probably not.  

Changing the barrel on an FAL is nothing like an AR.

At the least you need a barrel vise and a receiver wrench.  Yes you can half ass it, but you take the chance of damaging the receiver.

Your best bet is to have a smith who is at least familiar with the FAL change it out.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:46:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Will it fit? Yes.  Will it time up right without shaving the shoulder, shimming or swaging?  Probably not.  Will the existing locking shoulder give you the correct headspace?  Probably not.  

Changing the barrel on an FAL is nothing like an AR.

At the least you need a barrel vise and a receiver wrench.  Yes you can half ass it, but you take the chance of damaging the receiver.

Your best bet is to have a smith who is at least familiar with the FAL change it out.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. I was going to send it to ARS and let him inspect the Coonan and swap and throw a Rhodesian camo job on it .Your statement about FALs not being like ARs is the very reason I asked such question. Now the complete barrel Assy from DSA are not chromed. But they sell stripped 18” chromed . I believe the Austrian barrel on it ,is not chromed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:28:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a  STG Austrian  kit  on a coonan receiver. It has deep scratches on chamber. Was that way when I got it.  have to have gas turned up or stuck cases. I was thinking a 18" barrel. I see DSA sells complete barrel assy.   I know nothing about fals.  This sa58 assy  fit my coonan  receiver ?
View Quote

This is anecdotal so take it for what it’s worth.

I always held DSA in high regard.

Then I found a rifle in a LGS and started doing some research.

I determined that this rifle had a really good receiver so I bought it. It’s a 12-14” barrel with the welded on fake flash hider to make it 16”.

It seems to have a DSA barrel and it barely shoots minute of basketball at 100 yards scoped from bags. Meanwhile, my Austrian STG can get under 2”.

Everyone puts out a lemon from time to time, but for a $1K rifle, that’s BS.

I’d try to find an Austrian barrel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:43:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted: This is anecdotal so take it for what it’s worth.

I always held DSA in high regard.

Then I found a rifle in a LGS and started doing some research.

I determined that this rifle had a really good receiver so I bought it. It’s a 12-14” barrel with the welded on fake flash hider to make it 16”.

It seems to have a DSA barrel and it barely shoots minute of basketball at 100 yards scoped from bags. Meanwhile, my Austrian STG can get under 2”.

Everyone puts out a lemon from time to time, but for a $1K rifle, that’s BS.

I’d try to find an Austrian barrel.
View Quote

Wonder if there was a drip of weld on the crown, or worse yet, into the muzzle.  Be very interesting to chop off the flash hider & recrown the bbl, see how it shoots.  I get that runs a $200 tax stamp.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]
The Austria barrel on mine is very accurate. But has deep scratches and guages in chamber. Gas turned up isn’t a problem. It leaves the scratch imprints on the Spent  case.  If I get the Rhodesian camo job should I get a hump stock on it?  It has the straight stg58 style. This isn’t a proper parts build anyhow. Going to be a solid rifle. But a mutt also.  It’s the bipod one in the pic. The Israeli is a kit I sent to ARS and had built.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The Austria barrel on mine is very accurate. But has deep scratches and guages in chamber. Gas turned up isn’t a problem. It leaves the scratch imprints on the Spent  case.  If I get the Rhodesian camo job should I get a hump stock on it?  It has the straight stg58 style. This isn’t a proper parts build anyhow. Going to be a solid rifle. But a mutt also.  It’s the bipod one in the pic. The Israeli is a kit I sent to ARS and had built.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/26301/4334E1B2-B362-4A81-8798-C7876EFBFA5B_jpe-1512439.JPG
View Quote

You seem...familiar.
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You seem...familiar.
View Quote

I met you a couple of times at river bend Fal shoot and a Garand shoot.  I had this rifle there.  I did really well with it .   This is back in the early 2000, s   I moved to Nc in 2005.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top