BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
FA or 3 Round burst (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/7/2023 7:39:31 AM EDT
In a few months I will finally have an M16 that I've wanted since forever...20+ years of waiting.

I'm wondering, if I have 3 round burst controls, can I just remove the cam from the hammer and run it in FA?

I saw recently the 4 position internals available on gunbroker.  That's neat I guess, but I really don't see me using 3rb much or wanting it either.

This will be a colt DOE btw, baby sized 9mm sub gun. Can't wait!  Been hording mags and stuff for a long time.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:19:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Having never shot either, i would think 3rb would be better.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#2]
3rnd burst is kinda lame unless you're shooting a 308 battle rifle. On an M16 I think it's pointless and has extra/different/more parts in the fcg. The trigger is wider to fit the second disconector, the safety is different and iirc the hammer is different to fit the cam gear
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Having 3rb is nice.  But then it's not that hard to control short bursts with trigger control.  I have an MP5 and only have S - Semi - FA.  No problem controlling 2-3 round bursts.  

Maybe you'll find having the extra selection worth it.  Up to you.  Congratulations.  Enjoy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By weapons_free:
3rnd burst is kinda lame unless you're shooting a 308 battle rifle. On an M16 I think it's pointless and has extra/different/more parts in the fcg. The trigger is wider to fit the second disconector, the safety is different and iirc the hammer is different to fit the cam gear
View Quote

Dang, I knew the hammer was going to be different because of the cam thing but didn't realize all the other stuff was unique too.

Guess I'll be buying a LPK.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#5]
4 position FCGs exist. This is ARF.com. Get both.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:12:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ggllggll:

Dang, I knew the hammer was going to be different because of the cam thing but didn't realize all the other stuff was unique too.

Guess I'll be buying a LPK.
View Quote
a regular m16 selector and trigger wont work for a 4 pos gun since it has two disconnectors
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:14:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ggllggll] [#7]

a regular m16 selector and trigger wont work for a 4 pos gun since it has two disconnectors
View Quote

Oh sorry, I mixed up what I was trying to say...

Are the disconnector and selector different between the FA and 3rb controls?

I won't have, and don't want, the 4 position internals.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm wondering, if I have 3 round burst controls, can I just remove the cam from the hammer and run it in FA?
View Quote
You'd have to get rid of the burst cam's disconnector (there are 2) and replace it with a washer of the same width, or a little piece of its former self, or just replace the whole FCG with a FA one.

FA is better anyway.
The only FCGs on any of my assault rifles and SMGs that have burst also have full auto.

Burst was designed as a limitation, mostly for people not trained enough to know what they're doing, but I do like having 2-round burst because it yields reliable and consistent controlled pairs. 3 round is okay, but I can do that on my own pretty easily.

On the M16 it sucks because its burst cam does not automatically re-index (like HK's do) and you get 3 different trigger pulls while firing in semi-auto (because the cam is cycling all the time).
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Are the disconnector and selector different between the FA and 3rb controls?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:

On the M16 it sucks because its burst cam does not automatically re-index (like HK's do) and you get 3 different trigger pulls while firing in semi-auto (because the cam is cycling all the time).
View Quote
+1.  I can't find it right now but people used to always post a picture of the 3 round burst then another picture going back to standard full auto when getting their transferrable M16's.  
A lot of people would think it would be so awesome then realize it sucks and ditch it later.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#11]
pretty sure you still buy an m16 fcg from brownells
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:41:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#12]
In a few months I will finally have an M16 that I've wanted since forever...20+ years of waiting.

I saw recently the 4 position internals available on gunbroker.  That's neat I guess, but I really don't see me using 3rb much or wanting it either.

This will be a colt DOE btw, baby sized 9mm sub gun. Can't wait!  Been hording mags and stuff for a long time.
View Quote

I assume you are getting a RR?  
I assume you have done all the research about straight blowback 9mm M16 setups being hard on the trigger/hammer pins?

I think the DOE is very cool looking but in full auto, very bouncy... IMHO, can't hold a candle to the MP5 or a tuned CMMG RDB which also isn't hard on the pins / lower.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By amphibian:

I assume you have done all the research about 9mm being hard on the trigger/hammer pins?

I think the DOE is very cool looking but in full auto, very bouncy... IMHO, can't hold a candle to the MP5 or a tuned CMMG RDB which also isn't hard on the pins / lower.
View Quote
if your are gonna shoot 9mm from a rr most guys i know install the anti walk pin kits
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Also wanted to add that I have every M16 configuration in all calibers I run except 22LR running around the 600 RPM range.

In that range, I can pull single, double, triple round bursts at will.

I find that way more fun than a non-resetting 3 round burst.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#15]

if your are gonna shoot 9mm from a rr most guys i know install the anti walk pin kits
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I assume you have done all the research about 9mm being hard on the trigger/hammer pins?

Well, there is a debate on that too...
A lot of people also say do NOT use the anti walk / non-rotating pins.  When/if the pin breaks, you don't know and the broken pins are now gouging your pin holes up in your lower.

I personally do neither.  I run an MGI modular lower.  The magwell goes over the head of the hammer pin so you can't use those pins but what it does do is allow me to use a 'trigger pin' that doesn't have the hammer pin groove for my hammer pin.

I have had a hammer pin break on me and caused an AD...thank God I had the muzzle point in a safe direction.  Since then I have run a SS KNS 'Trigger' pin as my hammer pin and after many thousands of rounds have never broken one.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:53:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, there is a debate on that too...
A lot of people also say do NOT use the anti walk / non-rotating pins.  When/if the pin breaks, you don't know and the broken pins are now gouging your pin holes up in your lower.

I personally do neither.  I run an MGI modular lower.  The magwell goes over the head of the hammer pin so you can't use those pins but what it does do is allow me to use a 'trigger pin' that doesn't have the hammer pin groove for my hammer pin.

I have had a hammer pin break on me and caused an AD...thank God I had the muzzle point in a safe direction.  Since then I have run a SS KNS 'Trigger' pin as my hammer pin and after many thousands of rounds have never broken one.
View Quote
with the new roller delayed 9mm uppers out i wonder if that would reduce the stress on the fcg but pretty sure i know the answer lol. as far as the anti walk pins im just sharing what a bunch of guys i shoot with use
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
+1.  I can't find it right now but people used to always post a picture of the 3 round burst then another picture going back to standard full auto when getting their transferrable M16's.  
A lot of people would think it would be so awesome then realize it sucks and ditch it later.
View Quote

And FWIW, as Battlefield Vegas uses anti-rotation pins on their M16s, I do as well.

Disclaimer:  I have no affiliation with or financial interest in any vendor or manufacturer.  I am not a competitive shooter or a blogger who receives any form of compensation or sponsorship for endorsements, or favorable public or private comments.  I do not have a website, podcasts, webinars, or online videos; or books/magazine articles.  Use of vendor and/or product brand names, if any, is for informational purposes only; and products or services were purchased by me from regular commercial sources.

Best of luck.
MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I did plan on using the kns pins, I have a set ready to go.

Although I wanted them to protect from rotation and wollering out the lower, I didn't realize they can also break.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:18:19 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread may be of interest to you since you want to do 9mm: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Which-not-blowback-9mm-AR-system-is-king-/15-779133/

Specifically this new RDB from Maxim: https://maximdefense.com/product/244978/
I'm pretty sure this thing will have a very high cyclic rate but on the other hand, it should be less stress on the pins / lower.
I've ordered one for testing the cyclic rate and see what happens.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:41:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Although I wanted them to protect from rotation and wollering out the lower, I didn't realize they can also break.
View Quote

Rotation does not "wollar out" the lower. It's completely normal for all AR hammer pins (and many other hammer pins) to rotate, and it affects nothing. They get rounded out from people removing and re-inserting them any other way except straight (usually a bunch of times) and also from breaking in half at the groove for the hammer's spring retainer, like Amphibian told you about. Obviously, if you notice it breaking, you'd want to stop and replace the pin. With a KNS setup you cannot observe this.

It is true that 9mm blowback bolts are harder on the aluminum holes for the hammer pin (and the pin itself) because the bolt transfers more energy to the hammer than a 5.56mm configuration does.

Straight blowback kinda sucks in general, when delayed blowback and gas-operated systems are available. (Not that I'm trying to crap on your dream gun, just want you to be aware.)

The problem with gas-operated 9mm is that most of the commercial 9mm powders typically used burn extremely dirty (as in, some make Russian rifle-caliber powders look good). That is why there are so few gas-operated 9mm models.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

You can control the burst, it is worth it to change it out.

Mine all are auto, no burst.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Rotation does not "wollar out" the lower. It's completely normal for all AR hammer pins (and many other hammer pins) to rotate, and it affects nothing. They get rounded out from people removing and re-inserting them any other way except straight (usually a bunch of times) and also from breaking in half at the groove for the hammer's spring retainer, like Amphibian told you about. Obviously, if you notice it breaking, you'd want to stop and replace the pin. With a KNS setup you cannot observe this.

It is true that 9mm blowback bolts are harder on the aluminum holes for the hammer pin (and the pin itself) because the bolt transfers more energy to the hammer than a 5.56mm configuration does.

Straight blowback kinda sucks in general, when delayed blowback and gas-operated systems are available. (Not that I'm trying to crap on your dream gun, just want you to be aware.)

The problem with gas-operated 9mm is that most of the commercial 9mm powders typically used burn extremely dirty (as in, some make Russian rifle-caliber powders look good). That is why there are so few gas-operated 9mm models.
View Quote
+1 on all that.
Hopefully the new Maxim Defense RDB recoil spring assembly can make his 'dream gun' run smoother.  So he can have his cake and eat it too....I just suspect it will be around 900 RPM or so but at least smoother than straight blowback.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

This is all great info, I had no idea.

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#24]

substitute "burst" for "safety

There is no need for burst or a 4-posiition trigger in M16s IMHO.  Too many extra parts with little gain in functionality
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm also in the full auto camp, I don't like the M16 burst arrangement. I prefer to run high cyclic rate 5 to 6rd bursts on target.

At 1k RPM a third of a second on the trigger puts 5 rounds on target.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#26]
Originally Posted By tonysoprano150:
substitute "burst" for "safety
There is no need for burst or a 4-posiition trigger in M16s IMHO.  Too many extra parts with little gain in functionality
View Quote
Yeah, I strongly agree.

DEVGRU (well, just Seal Team 6 at the time) also agreed, and they wanted an ambidextrous grip with ambi controls (like the then-new burst trigger groups) on HK's MP5, but they wanted to omit burst, in favor of a simpler trigger pack. Such an HK trigger group didn't exist yet. So when they spec'd the MP5-N in the early 1980s, HK created it for them. Thus the ambidextrous "Navy trigger group" was born (and later offered on other HK models).

Burst mechanisms add complexity and additional failure points to an otherwise simpler (more reliable) system.
They're also completely unnecessary for trained and experienced operators.

They're also a PITA when it's time to clean (or otherwise disassemble) your FCG.

For exactly the same reasons, the M16A3 (which originally was the M16A2 with Auto instead of Burst) was slated to be adopted by US Navy Special Warfare Command (NAVSPECWARCOM) but the SEAL teams were already happy with the M4A1 (or its cousins like the Colt 727 Carbine) so the Seabees got them instead (and some other USN personnel).

I've also read that, at the time, the Japanese were especially concerned with the complications (and potential failure) of burst trigger groups when they were developing their Type 89 assault rifle at Howa. (Having burst capability on a mass-issued infantry rifle was all-the-rage in the late 1980s so they didn't want to omit burst.) Supposedly their Type 89 was engineered in such a way that, if the burst mechanism were to fail, it would not affect the other operations of the FCG, but I've yet to see a great technical writeup (or video) on how this was accomplished.

Maybe we need to get Ian over there to tell us (since Japan does not export them).
Attachment Attached File

These are from his forgottenweapons.com blog.

Attachment Attached File

That's the (independent) burst mechanism to the left of the main FCG.
4-position selector so it's got 3-round burst and full-auto
Interesting stuff.

Now Japan is fielding a new infantry rifle that's kind of like a SCAR copy, the Type 20 (also by Howa).
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:55:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Not to side track, but speaking of ambi controls, I just got one of these ambi 60 and 120 degree selectors and it works great.

https://www.griffinarmament.com/ambi-safety-selector-kit/

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 9:35:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#28]
3rb SUCKS in an M16. The design is a total turd. Skip it entirely. Buy a Geissele SSF instead.

Also, keep in mind that KNS anti-rotation fcg pins will burnish the anodizing on your lower. Something to keep in mind if you have a Colt lower.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#29]
The Hiperfire M16 trigger is also really good.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
Buy a Geissele SSF instead.
View Quote
+1
They're great.

Try to get the 416 version if you might have an HK416 upper (or clone) in your future.
For some reason, Geissele doesn't seem to want to put them out much.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#31]
+1
They're great.

Try to get the 416 version if you might have an HK416 upper (or clone) in your future.
For some reason, Geissele doesn't seem to want to put them out much.
View Quote

That’s a good suggestion. I have one sitting in the spare parts bin.

They are currently in stock.

https://geissele.com/super-select-fire-sopmod-ssfr-hk416-trigger.html
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:09:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bruh44] [#32]
You can get a burst trigger to run auto but it’s not reliable, and not what it was made for. Just get a FA FCG from Brownells for under $100.
As for 9mm, I would strongly suggest the CMMG Bashee radial delayed blowback upper. Or you can just get their bolt and carrier and barrel, then build what you want.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#33]
So what is the harm in using a regular SSF trigger with a 416 upper or use a 416 SSF trigger in a non-416 upper?
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 10:52:13 AM EDT
[#34]
When I had my select fire M-16 I didn't have any difficulty getting 2-3 round bursts.  I wouldn't see any benefit to having all the extra parts that could potentially break, when a little practice would give the same 2-3 round bursts.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Genin:
When I had my select fire M-16 I didn't have any difficulty getting 2-3 round bursts.  I wouldn't see any benefit to having all the extra parts that could potentially break, when a little practice would give the same 2-3 round bursts.
View Quote
+1
...and as I posted above, with so many different aftermarket parts out there, you can tune the M16 to run slower to get single, double, triple round bursts for just about every caliber.
The only exception would be for 22LR, they typically run too fast but even then 3 round bursts is pretty typical with a 22LR setup and maybe even doubles so no point to getting a 3RD burst firecontrol.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#36]
So what is the harm in using a regular SSF trigger with a 416 upper
View All Quotes
So what is the harm in using a regular SSF trigger with a 416 upper
It won't work because the regular SSF hammer isn't tall enough to disengage the firing pin safety on the 416's bolt carrier.
Some people get around this by removing that safety, but it isn't the preferred method.

or use a 416 SSF trigger in a non-416 upper?
As far as I know there's no drawback to that.
Only the hammer is different.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:28:40 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes

+1
...and as I posted above, with so many different aftermarket parts out there, you can tune the M16 to run slower to get single, double, triple round bursts for just about every caliber.
The only exception would be for 22LR, they typically run too fast but even then 3 round bursts is pretty typical with a 22LR setup and maybe even doubles so no point to getting a 3RD burst firecontrol.

The Geissele SSF makes the controllability of bursts even better.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:50:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#38]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:

The Geissele SSF makes the controllability of bursts even better.
View Quote
Yep,  I have two sets of them.
Although, note that Geissele doesn't support using them in a straight blowback configuration like what the OP is wanting to do.
I've seen posts where people broke I think the SSF hammer running a straight blowback 9mm upper and they said 556 only use.  
Although my CMMG RDB is tuned to run softer than any 556 upper I have.  So I run my SSF with that but I wouldn't use it with a straight blowback 9mm upper.
Again, maybe the new Maxim RDB will take the shock out of it.  I will do some testing when I get mine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Although, note that Geissele doesn't support using them in a straight blowback configuration like what the OP is wanting to do.
I've seen posts where people broke I think the SSF hammer running a straight blowback 9mm upper and they said 556 only use.
View Quote
Yeah...
It's a MIM hammer.

They used to machine their SSF 416 hammers (and therefore they were stronger) but I don't know if that's still true.
At the time, they didn't have the equipment to produce them in MIM and Idk if they ever got it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep,  I have two sets of them.
Although my CMMG RDB is tuned to run softer than any 556 upper I have.  So I run my SSF with that but I wouldn't use it with a straight blowback 9mm upper.
Again, maybe the new Maxim RDB will take the shock out of it.  I will do some testing when I get mine.
View Quote

I would really like to know if the maxim does the job.

Since I'm not super into changing the upper configuration, and I'm sure the cmmg barrel would have a completely different look to it, and also not machined for the gun port front sight post.

I had no idea that 9mm was such a pain in FA.  I've been shooting them for years, the standard colt style 9mm uppers and never even thought of an issue.

Link Posted: 6/8/2023 3:40:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: amphibian] [#41]

I would really like to know if the maxim does the job.

Since I'm not super into changing the upper configuration, and I'm sure the cmmg barrel would have a completely different look to it, and also not machined for the gun port front sight post.
View Quote
I created a thread on the Maxim here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Maxim-Defense-RDB-review/15-780933/
As I posted there, I don't think it will be possible to tune it to run slow and smooth like the CMMG RDB or MEAN bearing delay but if it works it should at least be smooth with a high cyclic rate with straight blowback upper.

I will do some high speed video on it with cyclic rate tests if I ever get mine.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#42]
You have almost all the knowledgeable heavy hitters giving you solid info. I am not a heavy poster but I have had a registered receiver since 1983 with tens of thousands of rounds and I suggest forgetting the burst and opening your eyes to the many different uppers you can play with. Also; SSF. Bob.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:24:48 PM EDT
[#43]
SSF is my preferred trigger.. Only issue is with the razer back belt fed where it doesn't like it. I still have to play/tune everything still..
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 11:10:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#44]
SSF.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Ryo:
SSF is my preferred trigger.. Only issue is with the razer back belt fed where it doesn't like it. I still have to play/tune everything still..
View Quote

Same here. Besides 3round burst is easy with practice.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#46]
I was issued the M16A1 and M16A2. While I liked the A2 over the A1, I did not like the 3 round burst. And yes I have used burst and FA in combat. One of my biggest complaints about the 3 round burst is that it negatively effects the trigger pull while shooting semi-auto. I was taught early on how to control full auto weapons and shoot short bursts with them. Besides the M16A1, I was also issued the M60, M3A1 and our vehicles had the M2.

OP, it's your gun and your money so go with what you want. I personally would prefer the full auto trigger group.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By chumpmiester:
I was issued the M16A1 and M16A2. While I liked the A2 over the A1, I did not like the 3 round burst. And yes I have used burst and FA in combat. One of my biggest complaints about the 3 round burst is that it negatively effects the trigger pull while shooting semi-auto. I was taught early on how to control full auto weapons and shoot short bursts with them. Besides the M16A1, I was also issued the M60, M3A1 and our vehicles had the M2.

OP, it's your gun and your money so go with what you want. I personally would prefer the full auto trigger group.
View Quote

I agree that FA is simple enough to squeeze a few rounds in without going overboard.  

Really I was originally just wondering if the internals of the 3rb mechanics can be disabled to function in FA only.  Im not a fan of the 3rb myself.

My first issued rifle was an M16A2 with 3rb.  Then the unit converted to M4 around 2001 ish?  I liked the M4 because it was easier to manage and lighter, shorter, had the foregrip and an aimpoint optic, but still had 3rb of course.

Anytime I had to play grenadier they gave me an M16 with 203, but again still 3rb, we didn't have m4s with the 203 at the time.

On the other hand, with the M249 I was always able to keep it on target with short bursts.  Or at least it seemed like I was generally on target.  That was 20 years ago...miss those days.  Our unit switched from M60 to M240B around the same time frame 2001-2002 ish.  They requalled all the heavy gunners to M240 and I was not part of that transition, luckily... that's a heavy beast.

USAF '00-'06 here
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:30:51 AM EDT
[#48]
As others have said, with a little practice you can easily do short controlled bursts with FA. I did it yesterday with my A2.
Link Posted: 9/6/2023 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#49]
You can do 2-3rds burst with FA fcg… but you can not do the opposite
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 10:17:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kingoftheriver] [#50]
FA fire control group + 20" rifle upper w/ a1 pencil profile barrel  + rifle buffer tube with hydraulic buffer = lightweight, smooth, and controllable (even for first time shooters) without being choppy.

After doing this, you'll find your 9mm upper gathering dust.

RCA
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
FA or 3 Round burst (Page 1 of 2)
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top