Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2018 6:14:17 AM EDT
I'm trying to figure out what type of effective range can we expect from these sorts of Automatic Rifles such as the M27 and others of this class (Assault Rifles with bipods). Are they really viable?

Specifically, has anyone fired a FA AR out to 100-300 yards off a bipod in full auto? And if so, what type of hit % / overall pattern did you achieve?

"Effective range" being where more then 1 round is hitting a torso sized target; presumably the first round always hits for a closed bolt rifle.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:12:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Never really tracked my hit percentages but I would say a human size target, shooting 3-5 round burst from a bipod would be no issue.

The only photo I have of a target shot by full auto is this one. FWIW the green square is 8.5"x11"

25 yards mag dump with an M11 w/ Lage max-11k upper standing up/unsupported.
Attachment Attached File

Shooting full auto will never be as accurate as well placed semi-auto shots but its also not as inaccurate as most people claim especially if doing controlled bursts.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:17:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Off a bipod at 100yds, you should be able to keep 80%+ of a full mag dump in a torso sized target.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 11:47:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Haven’t tried on paper, but my Colt LMG shoots super flat and easily stays on steel target at 100yd. A heavy 556 upper with a bipod should have no problems getting consistent full auto hits.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#4]
50 yards, Full Auto, from Prone & Bipod I usually got groups about the size of basketballs.  Of course I usually shot short bursts, but every time I squeezed the trigger and held on tight I was nearly always able to get basketball sized groups.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have no problem keeping all 3 round burst on a torso sized steel target at 300 yrds. My gun us the open bolt LMG so cyclic is a bit slower as well the barrel is much heavier than a standard one.

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have no problem keeping all 3 round burst on a torso sized steel target at 300 yrds. My gun us the open bolt LMG so cyclic is a bit slower as well the barrel is much heavier than a standard one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WriIGNW1nKY

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/M16-right-side.jpg
View Quote
That’s awesome.  Looks dead easy to control
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WriIGNW1nKY

http://weaponblueprints.com/mongo/pictures/M16-right-side.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful setup.  Mind sharing background details on how you got it?  Factory gun or conversion to open bolt?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:48:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Beautiful setup.  Mind sharing background details on how you got it?  Factory gun or conversion to open bolt?
View Quote
Its basically the same as the Colt LMG uppers but its one of the few more up to date ones that Colt made for the Marine trials. The open bolt is Colt's design and parts with the proper recoil spring and hydraulic buffer. The bipod is the standard Parker Hale one that they used. I bought it all together and mated to my transferable M16A2 receiver.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top