Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2021 11:02:50 AM EDT
Gents
Just wondering what your experiences are with flashlight AOWs. Id like to get a pen AOW but not allowed in many states so trying to be as flexible as possible. More for shits and giggles and nothing too serious.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:11:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, never realized there were particular statutes about the particular form factor of an AOW. Something mini-maglite size would be cool. In the past, I've had a couple SSSWs, SWD Pen Gun and one by someone who I don't recall that really looked like a pen and had a stub of refill that you could shoot thru.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:14:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Third_Rail] [#2]
They can be fun - but painful depending on caliber.

As an example a buddy has a .44mag flashlight. It's C-cell sized.

Don't fire it if you ever happen to see him at the range. Tore the hell out of my hand with the knurling. I'd bet just about anything he never fires it with anything but mild .44spl loads.

Originally Posted By mecompco:
Hmm, never realized there were particular statutes about the particular form factor of an AOW. Something mini-maglite size would be cool. In the past, I've had a couple SSSWs, SWD Pen Gun and one by someone who I don't recall that really looked like a pen and had a stub of refill that you could shoot thru.
View Quote

There are all sorts of AOWs which are "gadget guns".

For example this fine pen:

...would be hilarious with this silencer:

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback. And thats what i was afraid of. There are .410 gauge aow flashlights and i cant imagine that being too friendly. Maybe ill stick with. 380.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I've built a couple maglite 410 AOW's at my shop.  They are a very niche item.  I built mine just because of the $5 transfer.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:52:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BradN:
I've built a couple maglite 410 AOW's at my shop.  They are a very niche item.  I built mine just because of the $5 transfer.
View Quote

What kind of firing mechanism did you end up with? I've seen so many different types - some with safeties and some without.

Pull-release. Trigger/clip. Pushbutton. Notched striker as many pen guns have. Even one push-on-the-muzzle-to-fire!

That last at least had a cotter pin/ring safety but boy did it strike me as an unsafe weapon. Contact triggering seems outrageous.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:32:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BradN] [#6]
Mine has a pull release with a safety notch.  I used a 1/4" push push instead of a grenade pun like some use.

I also didn't have the light body engraved like most, I had the "trunnion" engraved.  Basically the part that screws into the light and the barrel screws into it.  That way if they light gets worn or damaged, I can replace it and I can make new barrels in different calibers although mine is 410/45 on the form4.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:06:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's mine.  Ignore the funky trigger slot.  I cut it wrong then said screw it and made it right.  I'm doing a new light out of a 3 cell instead of a 4 cell.  It will use a 18650 rechargeable battery in a custom holder.  I still need to refinish the steel parts.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Mistakes happen - I bet everyone here has made a similar mostly harmless mistake and said "screw it" once it's on a registered item.

I do like the idea of engraving the trunnion instead of the flashlight body itself. As you said it ought to mean it can legally swap to a different light.

As far as caliber? The ATF has never really cared. Update them if you really want but as long as you don't somehow permanently remove the ability to go back to the initially registered caliber they don't care.

One of my SBSs has barrels in seven different gauges. It's only registered as one of them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I can swap it to a different light...or a pringles can, or a yeti cup...

New barrels may happen at some point, too many customers guns to work on right now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#10]

New barrels may happen at some point, too many customers guns to work on right now.
View Quote

That's something I haven't ever seen discussed. A multi-housing gadget gun AOW if you will.

Well. I can't do a F2 but I know what my next F1 is going to be! Thanks for pointing out the obvious.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Are you selling these? I’m a buyer
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:

Are you selling these? I’m a buyer
View Quote
There was a guy in the past selling Maglite AOW's who got a cease and desist letter from Maglite. I would think small batches with no advertising would be okay for a while but they were unhappy
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 4:25:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By whiskerz:

There was a guy in the past selling Maglite AOW's who got a cease and desist letter from Maglite. I would think small batches with no advertising would be okay for a while but they were unhappy
View Quote

You are correct, I sell "410 NFA firearms that incorporate a popular flashlight into it"

Link Posted: 3/22/2021 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#14]
That is beautiful! I'd love to inquire into acquiring one. Need to increase my five dolla collection. Email sent.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Color me interested as well.

I have alway dreamt of a mag light style AOW that actually would pull apart and drop out a grip and one would use the larger light end as a stock. Barrel end would be the battery end. Have it chambered in 410 or 20ga. And if possible make it a 2-4 shooter. Something similar to the COP guns. But all contained inside a mag light.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
Color me interested as well.

I have alway dreamt of a mag light style AOW that actually would pull apart and drop out a grip and one would use the larger light end as a stock. Barrel end would be the battery end. Have it chambered in 410 or 20ga. And if possible make it a 2-4 shooter. Something similar to the COP guns. But all contained inside a mag light.
View Quote

Like a king size Braverman pen gun of sorts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 6:27:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Like a king size Braverman pen gun of sorts.
View Quote

Yes. Like something from  spy film.

Link Posted: 5/14/2021 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Brad,

Put me on the list for one of those.  I think I know where the money Jonathan owes me is going.

Joat
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Joat:
Brad,

Put me on the list for one of those.  I think I know where the money Jonathan owes me is going.

Joat
View Quote

We can work something out...
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 12:18:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Not a flashlight but here's another AOW I made for a customer.  We used an Altor receiver, barrel and firing pin spring.  I made the rest.  With the 380 barrel, it's not bad at all to shoot.  With the 9mm barrel and 147g subs, it's get frisky.  There's a bit more cosmetic machine work to do but it's functionally done.  Of course we had to shoot it suppressed too.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#21]
That is so damn cool. Suppressed aow
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 11:55:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JsbsMarine:
That is so damn cool. Suppressed aow
View Quote

I so want to make an integral like this too.  One day maybe...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top