Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/24/2024 11:45:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Milhouse]
Well gentlemen, I messed up, and thankfully it only cost me a new gun and a bruised ego. It was also the reality check that I needed. I see now why certain protocols are in place, and I frankly got careless and over confident.
I only reload 9mm on a Dillon 550. I’m a beginner, I guess. I’ve loaded just over 3000 rounds so far. My press was last set up at a previous house a few years ago. I hadn’t reloaded in a few years, so I decided to build a new bench and get back into it at the new house.
Anyway, I’ve since loaded about 1000 rounds.
I use mostly once fired brass, Berry 115gn, with 4.2 of Titegroup. I’ve heard that double charges are possible with TG, and that you have to be extra careful. Now I know why. I mean, I understood how it could happen and why you need to be careful, but I guess I got over confident using the progressive press. The Dillion is so accurate, and I pay attention, so how could this go wrong? Well I obviously fucked up.
Long story short, I was having an issue where an expended primer got caught up where it shouldn’t have in my press. It caused me to stop and restart the process a couple times until I figured out what the issue was. It was in this process my double powder load happened. I know exactly when it happened. I got distracted and kaboom.
I was at the range testing my new micro dagger. I had shot it the day before for the first time. Day one I put about 100 rounds of 50/50 factory/reloads. I was having fail to go into battery towards the end of the session, so I packed it up, took it home and cleaned it. The next morning I went back to the range and started with just factory ammo. It was running perfect with ball and hp ammo. I decided to see how it ran with my pretty light reloads. 4.2 of TG with plated bullets is fairly light. First magazine was good, so I decided to film the second magazine, to show my gf it was working…
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:50:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bigtex84] [#1]
Wowza

The 550 doesn’t auto index if I remember correctly so that makes it easy to double charge a case.  You are the first and won’t be the last.  Glad you are ok.  That barrel is something else.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow - look at that barrel. No injury to your hand?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Glad you are okay OP

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I should say, it scared the shit out of me, but my hand was fine. It hurt, but no injuries. My hand was numb and tingly for at least an hour. My wrist and elbow hurt later that day.
I’ve since weighed every single one of my rounds. I’m installing better lighting over my press. I’m going to visually inspect all my powder charges. And lastly, after my TG is gone, I’m switching powders. It’s just not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap, lucky you. Go buy a lottery ticket.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Glad your OK, that could have been ugly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Glad you are ok and good for you for owning up. It is a good reminder for us that reload.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:06:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Merlin] [#8]
Originally Posted By Milhouse:
Well gentlemen, I messed up, and thankfully it only cost me a new gun and a bruised ego. It was also the reality check that I needed. I see now why certain protocols are in place, and I frankly got careless and over confident.
I only reload 9mm on a Dillon 550. I'm a beginner, I guess. I've loaded just over 3000 rounds so far. My press was last set up at a previous house a few years ago. I hadn't reloaded in a few years, so I decided to build a new bench and get back into it at the new house.
Anyway, I've since loaded about 1000 rounds.
I use mostly once fired brass, Berry 115gn, with 4.2 of Titegroup. I've heard that double charges are possible with TG, and that you have to be extra careful. Now I know why. I mean, I understood how it could happen and why you need to be careful, but I guess I got over confident using the progressive press. The Dillion is so accurate, and I pay attention, so how could this go wrong? Well I obviously fucked up.
Long story short, I was having an issue where an expended primer got caught up where it shouldn't have in my press. It caused me to stop and restart the process a couple times until I figured out what the issue was. It was in this process my double powder load happened. I know exactly when it happened. I got distracted and kaboom.
I was at the range testing my new micro dagger. I had shot it the day before for the first time. Day one I put about 100 rounds of 50/50 factory/reloads. I was having fail to go into battery towards the end of the session, so I packed it up, took it home and cleaned it. The next morning I went back to the range and started with just factory ammo. It was running perfect with ball and hp ammo. I decided to see how it ran with my pretty light reloads. 4.2 of TG with plated bullets is fairly light. First magazine was good, so I decided to film the second magazine, to show my gf it was working
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11077/IMG_4884_jpeg-3167999.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11077/IMG_6090_jpeg-3168000.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11077/IMG_6094_jpeg-3168001.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11077/IMG_6099_jpeg-3168002.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/11077/IMG_6092_jpeg-3168003.JPG
View Quote

Glad to hear you weren't hurt!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:16:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Milhouse:  I should say, it scared the shit out of me, but my hand was fine. It hurt, but no injuries. My hand was numb and tingly for at least an hour. My wrist and elbow hurt later that day.
I’ve since weighed every single one of my rounds. I’m installing better lighting over my press. I’m going to visually inspect all my powder charges. And lastly, after my TG is gone, I’m switching powders. It’s just not worth the risk.
View Quote

Is 4.2 grains within the variation of case weight & bullet weight?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad you did not get hurt. Thanks for posting, that barrel is crazy!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By Milhouse:  I should say, it scared the shit out of me, but my hand was fine. It hurt, but no injuries. My hand was numb and tingly for at least an hour. My wrist and elbow hurt later that day.

I believe so. When sorted by brass type, they are pretty consistent. I wrote the weights down for about 20 rounds of each brass type. For instance my WIN brass reloads very from 179.9 to 181.0. If anything was not within those numbers, I put it aside to be pulled.
The only inconsistencies I have are with Speer brass. They make two different weights. One batch weighs 177.7 to 178.8. Other Speer weighs 182.1 to 183.4.
If a Speer didn’t weigh in the 178 range it got pulled.
I weighted 650 rounds…about (50) Speer will get pulled and weighted.
I did find one JAG without powder. A normal jag reload weighs about 175gn this one weighed about 170. I knew as soon as I weighed it, it was short.
Hopefully my double checking process works, it seems to.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#12]

I have seen similar KABOOMS at 2 different USPSA matches.

Both times, it was the same R.O., both times, he asked "Dillon 550 ?"

Both times the shooter said "yes"

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#13]
When it first happened I was going to pull everything, but after weighing them, I’ve rethought that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Cardplayer:
Glad you are ok and good for you for owning up. It is a good reminder for us that reload.
View Quote

Thank you! That’s the only reason I posted. I’m not an idiot, I’m usually very careful in everything I do. Over cautious if anything, and it happened to me. I got careless.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:38:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Some of the things I love about the XL650 / 750 is that is auto-indexes the case to the nest station, and you have an extra station for the power check buzzer

too much, or too little powder will sound the alarm

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing I do with my 550 is if I have ANY issue- primer, brass, whatever-, I pull the cases from station 1 (size/reprime) and station 2 (powder charge) and start fresh.

Why? Because I caught a double charge just before I seated a bullet- caused by trying to clear a primer from behind the slide.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Get the light from Inline Fab, it may help, I have it on my 550s and are fantastic. Also, consider working with a slower powder that will fill your cases.
I'm sure you know this but, If you ever leave your press for any reason leave it with the handle in the down position.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FB41:
One thing I do with my 550 is if I have ANY issue- primer, brass, whatever-, I pull the cases from station 1 (size/reprime) and station 2 (powder charge) and start fresh.

Why? Because I caught a double charge just before I seated a bullet- caused by trying to clear a primer from behind the slide.
View Quote

I’m adding this to my process. Also better lighting.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:45:31 PM EDT
[#19]
I blew a glock 20 with accurate #5.

I had at least 10,000 rounds through it.  The glock 20 just swelled up the chamber a light bit but I did a dye penetrate test and there was some cracking.

Still got pressure blisters and burns on my hands.  It hurts.

yea, a dillon 550 and I was a heavy reloader at the time.

Accurate #5 had some reports of blowing up because of the light charge so maybe I didn't double charge it.  No way to ever know.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Get the light from Inline Fab, it may help, I have it on my 550s and are fantastic. Also, consider working with a slower powder that will fill your cases.
I'm sure you know this but, If you ever leave your press for any reason leave it with the handle in the down position.
View Quote

I did not know this. Makes sense now that you say it. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Just a double charge?  Seen several but they normally blew the magazine out and apart and stained the shooters drawers. Glad you are okay.  

Typically with a double charge you have one with no powder.  You found that one I see.  Safe decision going to a bulky powder that tells you when there is a double charge, but it gets substantially more expensive.  Good light, and clearing the shell plate completely after you fix a problem should keep you out of trouble.  Don’t be afraid to throw a few rounds/components away as it’s cheaper than a hospital bill and/or new gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Yeah, I'm careful, but I will triple check from now on.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:54:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dirtyone04] [#23]
Dang, that was catastrophic. Glad you're ok.
Had one myself.
Not my pistol, but I was shooting it.
Random guy at the range let me shoot it. Never got to find out what caused it. After the explosion I grabbed a quick pic, he then grabbed his pistol and scooted away.
Guess he thought I was going to sue him.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:
Just a double charge?  Seen several but they normally blew the magazine out and apart and stained the shooters drawers. Glad you are okay.  

Typically with a double charge you have one with no powder.  You found that one I see.  Safe decision going to a bulky powder that tells you when there is a double charge, but it gets substantially more expensive.  Good light, and clearing the shell plate completely after you fix a problem should keep you out of trouble.  Don’t be afraid to throw a few rounds/components away as it’s cheaper than a hospital bill and/or new gun.
View Quote

The magazine held up pretty well. It doesn’t work and it was blown out of the gun.
It did scare me. I was alone, things could have been much worse. I’m grateful it happened to me and not a loved one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:05:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ishootglocks] [#25]
Glad you are ok! Learn and adjust your process to prevent it from happening again.

I've since switched to other powders due to switching from FMJ to costed bullets, but I never understood the "Titegroup is so easy to double charge in 9mm" comments. I loaded thousands of rounds with TG over the years.

8gr of TG in a 9mm case is very, very obvious UNLESS you aren't looking at the case at all. I realize lighting and shadows can affect this so quality lighting is a must. I use an overhead lamp pointed at the press plus on-press lighting (UFO LEDs).
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#26]
We had a guy in my league blow up 2 nice 1911s.

He also used a 550.

I have 30 years of pulling the handle on a 550. All reloading ops demand our full attention, the 550 even more so.

The lighting is important, you must check every case before seating a bullet.  Plenty of options there to go beyond the room lights.  I have a led kit shining down.  That last step of peering in every charged case is so important on a 550.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:24:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1911user] [#27]
Originally Posted By DVCER:
I have 30 years of pulling the handle on a 550. All reloading ops demand our full attention, the 550 even more so.

The lighting is important, you must check every case before seating a bullet.  Plenty of options there to go beyond the room lights.  I have a led kit shining down.  That last step of peering in every charged case is so important on a 550.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:26:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Reset the "days since Titegroup claimed another gun" counter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#30]
@palmettostatearmory trade for in house scientific research?

Lol

Glad your ok OP.

When I was looking at the 550 vs 750 this possibility right here pushed me the 750.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#31]
When I switched back to a 550 I made it a policy to only use slower burning powders because a double charge overflows the case and is so obvious Stevie Wonder would know it was a double charge
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:32:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Milhouse] [#32]

He also used a 550.

View Quote

This is where my process was lacking and has been addressed. I wasn’t visually checking every powder charge. A double charge of TG doesn’t fill the case, but it is obvious if you check. I’ve learned my lesson in the perfect way. It hurt enough that I’ll never forget it and nobody got hurt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:36:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#33]
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:
Had one myself.
Random guy at the range let me shoot it. Never got to find out what caused it. After the explosion I grabbed a quick pic, he then grabbed his pistol and scooted away.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/193396/boom_jpg-3168061.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/193396/burn_png-3168062.JPG
View Quote

That's a funny set of irons on that Ruger.  

OP, glad you weren't seriously hurt.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:59:23 PM EDT
[#34]
One of the reasons I use W231/HP38 with 115gr bullets is that a double charge will have powder overflowing the case.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#35]
So what did the girlfriend have to say when you were trying to show off and it blew up in your hand?

In all seriousness, good to hear there were no injuries. I'd definitely recommend letting PSA take a look at the parts for their own studies about how well they handled the pressure.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#36]

He also used a 550.

View Quote

It's not the 550 that's at fault.  It is the reloader, the user.

You can add all manner of "engineering safeguards" to prevent problems.  People add auto-advance but that has it's own set of problems (sort of the inverse of this one).  They add powder checkers, all sorts of stuff, even up to fully automated systems.  The thing is, at some point, are you even involved in reloading any more.  People watch TV, drink alcohol and do drugs while reloading.  The less involved you are, the less engaged, the less focused you are, the more distracted you are, the more likely you are to have problems.  

Perhaps, some people just shouldn't reload, or they should not reload while distracted.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:43:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I had a double load in a Beretta 92 and all it did was crack the locking block and blew the mag out. I replaced the locking block and the barrel to be safe and it ran like a clock.
I ended up pulling all the bullets (about 150) from the batch I loaded and didn't find any others. No clue how I did it, I was using a LEE loadmaster progressive press.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By dirtyone04:
Had one myself.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/193396/boom_jpg-3168061.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/193396/burn_png-3168062.JPG
View Quote

That could’ve been a bad one with the revolver. That concrete in the background looks like some Spring Valley concrete.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By FB41:

View Quote

This is good advice!  

I've seen several kabooms ROing matches. Rifles and pistols, but definitely more pistol kabooms.

The two most common pistol caliber issues are fiddling with the press mid process to clear issues or weighing charges. Weighing every 10th, 20th, whatever seems to be the most common. Double charges and squibs are the result.  Set it and forget it or weigh every 100th and clear out the press! It will also help cut down on squibs.

With rifles, the primary issue seems to be leaving powder in the measure between sessions. When a choice is made to swap from pistol to rifle: a small amount of pistol powder gets left in the hopper or charge bar. Ball powders rifle and pistol and it's tough to notice. Imagine 26 grains of Titegroup in a 5.56!  A lot of rifles get rebuilt after this error!

Not just a 550 issue, both seems to occur on 650s as well from the same practices.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Stillnothere:
So what did the girlfriend have to say when you were trying to show off and it blew up in your hand?

In all seriousness, good to hear there were no injuries. I'd definitely recommend letting PSA take a look at the parts for their own studies about how well they handled the pressure.
View Quote

It was humbling on many levels. I can’t imagine how bad I would have felt if she was behind the trigger. She shoots a 9mm 1911, so maybe it wouldn’t have blown apart like the micro dagger. I’m grateful we didn’t find out.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Trollslayer:

You can add all manner of "engineering safeguards" to prevent problems.  People add auto-advance but that has it's own set of problems (sort of the inverse of this one).  They add powder checkers, all sorts of stuff, even up to fully automated systems.  The thing is, at some point, are you even involved in reloading any more.  People watch TV, drink alcohol and do drugs while reloading.  The less involved you are, the less engaged, the less focused you are, the more distracted you are, the more likely you are to have problems.  

Perhaps, some people just shouldn't reload, or they should not reload while distracted.
View All Quotes

He also used a 550.

I agree 100%. The 550 worked perfectly. I made a mistake. I clearly messed up clearing a stoppage in the press and I double charged a round. I also wasn’t visually checking every powder charge.
Both of these practices will be followed religiously from now on. This hurts physically and financially. That was enough of a learning experience for me.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:59:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scottgreen45] [#43]
Always the right answer! Using a powder that takes more than 50% of case volume.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Milhouse:
I should say, it scared the shit out of me, but my hand was fine. It hurt, but no injuries. My hand was numb and tingly for at least an hour. My wrist and elbow hurt later that day.
I've since weighed every single one of my rounds. I'm installing better lighting over my press. I'm going to visually inspect all my powder charges. And lastly, after my TG is gone, I'm switching powders. It's just not worth the risk.
View Quote
550 user here as well, probably in the 10-12k range for total rounds loaded.

I have a small inspection mirror loosely zip tied to the powder hopper and angled in a manner so that I can peer straight into #2, and with a slight lean, I can also look into #3 before placing a bullet on the flared case if I have any doubt about what's happened.

As a few others have stated, any malfunction that requires me to break the normal loading and manipulation cycle sees me clearing #1 and #2.

After settling the hopper I individually weigh 5 charges to confirm it meets the charge I want for the load, then check the charge weight when it's time to reload the primer mag, approximately every 100 rounds.  This keeps the focus on the manipulating the press.

All of the charge weight checks are written down as part of my reloading log, along w/ COL, crimp, and case gage checks when checking the charge roughly every 100 rounds.  

The COL and crimp checks came from finding a loose lock ring and not knowing when it happened.

Lastly, good to hear that the only damage was to the ego and not the body.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 1:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#45]
guessed it was TG before opening thread.  that stuff scares me; double loads easily and does not suffer fools.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 4:56:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#46]
Glad you are OK.

Points for imagery on that - I've never seen such a clear photo of a Kaboom like that, and it's kind of an amazing and fascinating photo.  I think you should watermark that - it's a really interesting and unique photo.  You might want to reach out to PSA and let them know it happened, and offer them any failure mode data, if they are interested.  The might just surprise you - by more than you expect.  

As to 550 - I personally prefer a unit that auto-indexes.  Some people make a 550 work great.  Apparently based on some of the replies above, not every body does.  If you had a unit that autoindexed, would that human-error still have ended in kaboom?  I'm an engineer, so it's ingrained into my ethos to have a system that is as inherently safe as possible - first.  Safety First - so is it?  

My own practice (that has worked for me) - AutoIndexing Hornady LnL (same thing as a 650); and I have a light shining on the shellplate to see the powder.  The nice thing about 9mm is a double charge tends to be very obvious, unless you just aren't looking at all.  Which can happen - people aren't as attentive non-stop on a routine repetitive action as they like to think; observe all the .300 BO Kaboom's, as an example.  It's a self-diagnostic of "of course I checked every round", with little beyond your own self-memory assessment that of the many thousands run in Real Life with Real Life distractions and other humans who come find you, you never blinked or thought about things like "Did Han really fire first?", et. al.  That's where an auto-index can save your bacon.  And of course, alcohol and reloading never mix - if I have a beer with dinner, reloading later that night can wait (not implying you did - just a note on my own practices).   Also, as others do: when there is a distraction or I have to step away mid-run, Ram goes up and stays up.  I've never had a double charge, but I have had a couple squibs in my career I'll admit - sucks coming home with a bullet stuck in the barrel, but that beats the other option!
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:09:53 AM EDT
[#47]
I skipped the 550 and went straight to a 750.
Manual indexing was one reason.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Glad you are OK.

Points for imagery on that - I've never seen such a clear photo of a Kaboom like that, and it's kind of an amazing and fascinating photo.  I think you should watermark that - it's a really interesting and unique photo.  You might want to reach out to PSA and let them know it happened, and offer them any failure mode data, if they are interested.  The might just surprise you - by more than you expect.  
View Quote

I was thinking the OP must shoot wearing a gopro w/head mount. Quite a picture!

Glad to hear the pistol was the only casualty that day.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 9:53:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#49]

View All Quotes

He also used a 550.

That's why I have no TV in my reloading area and never load with music going. I want to hear the machine (wear digital muffs) and I have a cadence...I look to see the primer in the slide, visibly check case for powder and then place bullet. In my head I hear primer, powder, bullet, primer, powder, bullet...loaf of bread, container of milk, stick of butter...
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#50]
I’ve never seen a picture of an over pressure round that caused the barrel to peel back like that, normally you see it blow out the bottom and crack the frame.

Are you sure you didn’t have an obstruction in the barrel?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top