User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/30/2023 2:49:25 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Just bought this gun in March, it's an April of 2022 production standard stock.

Ever seen one crack there? Kinda disappointing after dropping $1600 on a new gun. I've got maybe 300rds through it.

To the people that have had experiences with Steyr's customer service, how's it been?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks! Hopefully it’s covered under warranty.
Maybe defective mold.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_133519_Gallery_jpg-2801238.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_133750_Gallery_jpg-2801243.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_134531_Gallery_jpg-2801244.JPG

Ever seen one crack there? Kinda disappointing after dropping $1600 on a new gun. I've got maybe 300rds through it.

To the people that have had experiences with Steyr's customer service, how's it been?
View Quote

There have been several threads on r/bullpup forum of a semi recent production Bad Batch of AUG stocks. Yours was probably in that window:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AUG/search/?q=cracking&restrict_sr=1&sr_nsfw=&include_over_18=1

From all accounts Steyr is replacing these stocks without any guff.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:51:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There have been several threads on r/bullpup forum of a semi recent production Bad Batch of AUG stocks. Yours was probably in that window:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AUG/search/?q=cracking&restrict_sr=1&sr_nsfw=&include_over_18=1

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_133519_Gallery_jpg-2801238.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_133750_Gallery_jpg-2801243.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_134531_Gallery_jpg-2801244.JPG

I guess Im not the only one. Thanks for the link man.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Attachment Attached File

And as long as I'm looking, I was a total AUG noob when I bought this.....is it standard for my receiver to not have that stainless (?) sleeve in one of the four tubes in the receiver that the operating rods slide through?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 4:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.redd.it/been-thinking-about-the-stocks-cracking-issue-v0-rriu1xokm9ba1.jpg?s=b59c55c92f9d935363e840106dca16b49f54d8d5

I guess Im not the only one. Thanks for the link man.

Of course, happy to help. Please keep us posted on how Steyr responds.

But it's overall not an AUG thing; there's 40 year old AUGs out there that still work fine with their OG stocks. It just seems to be some fuckup thats materialized this last yearish or so.

More info:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Are-AUG-stocks-still-cracking-/43-535189/
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_145512_Gallery_jpg-2801327.JPG

And as long as I'm looking, I was a total AUG noob when I bought this.....is it standard for my receiver to not have that stainless (?) sleeve in one of the four tubes in the receiver that the operating rods slide through?
View Quote
100% normal
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 5:19:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
100% normal
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60275/Screenshot_20230430_145512_Gallery_jpg-2801327.JPG

100% normal

Thank you.

When digging around facebook groups for cracked stocks I found the answer to that too. Kind of unusual its not also sleeved but whatever I guess.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thank you.

When digging around facebook groups for cracked stocks I found the answer to that too. Kind of unusual its not also sleeved but whatever I guess.
View Quote

I think its sleeved on that side because that's the side where the gas piston is?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I think its sleeved on that side because that's the side where the gas piston is?
View Quote

Probably.

I just filled out a service / warranty claim on their website; it would be nice if they just mailed me a new stock but Im betting they will want the old one back so there isnt defective ones out in the wild.

I filled out the registration form and on one of the last questions it asks "how likely are you to recommend us to a friend?" And my response was "depends on how you handle the warranty claim Im about to file"
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I bet some bean counter changed raw materials to a cheaper variant but “in-spec” on paper …
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bet some bean counter changed raw materials to a cheaper variant but “in-spec” on paper …
View Quote

Or a supplier was changed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah ... one or the other ... all these years without issues and now all the sudden ... baaam ...

You are seeing this in the automotive and other industries that use polymers ... good quality polymers have increased in pricing ... many suppliers to keep prices the same have ventured into the Asian markets where the quality of poly isn't the same nor held even-though it meets the "spec" ... we saw this as a trial run one time in the industry I worked at ... within a year we went back to the original OEM ...

Steyr should do the same ...
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
If you notice all the cracked ones have 90° corners. The good ones have a inside fillet and those don't seem to crack.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you notice all the cracked ones have 90° corners. The good ones have a inside fillet and those don't seem to crack.
View Quote

You'd think Steyr would have had a recall, or an expedited process of replacement, or something.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you notice all the cracked ones have 90  corners. The good ones have a inside fillet and those don't seem to crack.
View Quote
That's an interesting point.

Maybe the bad ones missed a step in manufacturing?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 12:34:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fascinating, great eye. That is an interesting hypothesis.

And this website does mention something to that effect (as one of many possible explanations):

https://www.ecomolding.com/cracking-in-plastic-injection-molded-parts/

(II) Cracking caused by external stress
The external stress mainly refers to the stress concentration caused by inappropriate design, especially the sharp corners.

However there are a bunch of other reasons why cracks could form that are mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds like the DeHaviland Comet wasn't an object lesson outside the aviation industry.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:55:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Sounds like the DeHaviland Comet wasn't an object lesson outside the aviation industry.
View Quote

Very interesting history. I previously had no knowledge of the Comet failures. Just looked it up. Thanks for the reference.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Been a half way common occurrence since CoVID it seems.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:26:41 PM EDT
[#20]
They had a few unexplained breakups. Built a whole water tank to test the fuselage.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Well I just checked my two, one is about half a year old, the other about 1.5 yrs old.  

The older one has no cracks, but I don’t like how sharp the corners are.  Bad design to have somewhat sharp corners on a lot of things- polymers, metals, whatever.  I am amazed sometimes at how many things these days are still not properly radiused.  

Interestingly though, the newer rifle has clearly had someone at Steyr do a mitigation- they milled or drilled each corner of the hole.  So the hole is no longer square, instead it is squarish with a semi circle at the corners.  Not sure if they are doing this on a jig or literally just had someone get out a dremel and zip each corner.  

Now this is a well known method of stopping cracks from expanding.  However it is clearly an afterthought on these stocks, so either they are continuing to build rifles using the “bad batch”, or they are continuing to use the same molds/polymer despite having ongoing issues.  

Now doing the circular holes in the corner should stop the problems, but is sure does look like shit.  Obviously they did not want to take the financial hit from fixing the stock manufacturing procedure, so now we get this mitigation fix.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#22]

Bottom right photo shows the drilled/milled corner mitigation I mentioned.  That is an afterthought, a fix, and not how you would design a part initially.  A proper design would have the corners radiused smoothly, and the takedown button would have its corners rounded as well.  Instead they did a square hole, and drilled the corners to stop any cracks from occurring.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Here is my 1.5 year old rifle (22USA serial range):
Attachment Attached File

And here is the newer one (29USA serial range) with the corners drilled.  Looking at how unevenly the corners were done, I am betting it was done by hand with a dremel tool:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:22:53 PM EDT
[#24]
My MSAR stg556 is shaped like a bread loaf. Beretta had the same issue with the gen1 locking block, sharp edges and cracks. Later versions had radiuses added to it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:25:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here is my 1.5 year old rifle (22USA serial range):
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23705/6E0ADA1A-9FFE-46FC-BB81-4B8F5F9E51F2_jpe-2805905.JPG

And here is the newer one (29USA serial range) with the corners drilled.  Looking at how unevenly the corners were done, I am betting it was done by hand with a dremel tool:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/23705/FF3B2DDB-10D3-4CC1-BD93-40563EB427EA_jpe-2805911.JPG
View Quote

To be honest...both squares look like they were Dremel'd out of a solid stock.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#26]
The corners issue is bizarre on all levels.

-For 40 years they have been making the stock correctly

-There is no apparent cost savings in having the injection mold make a square hole vs a square hole w/ rounded corners

-It sucks up $/man hours to have a guy round the square corners by hand

I'm not saying this isn't the explanation, its just very weird if it is. They what, needed a new AUG mold after the previous one wore out, and then forgot to have it punch a rounded hole for the takedown button?
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The corners issue is bizarre on all levels.

-For 40 years they have been making the stock correctly

-There is no apparent cost savings in having the injection mold make a square hole vs a square hole w/ rounded corners

-It sucks up $/man hours to have a guy round the square corners by hand

I'm not saying this isn't the explanation, its just very weird if it is. They what, needed a new AUG mold after the previous one wore out, and then forgot to have it punch a rounded hole for the takedown button?
View Quote

I tend to agree on the weird explenation..
A mold can be modified at any time before it wears out, and I don’t think money is an issue at Steyr.
But that’s the same Steyr that still won’t modify a mold to include a brass deflector but rather sell a DIY kit
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I send them an email on Sunday with my warranty registration, a copy of my receipt to show I was the original purchaser of the firearm, and a picture of the crack.

I gave up waiting for a response and called them today. The person that deals with warranty replacement parts is gone for a long weekend so he'll call me back next week (only 1 guy handles that I guess?)

The whole thing is handled weird IMHO but whatever.

If anyone else in the future reads this, so far my advice is just to call.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:45:51 PM EDT
[#29]
I just looked at mine (a green NATO purchased last February) and it's cracked. I guess I'm calling them next week.

Is Steyr requiring the whole gun to be sent back or just the stock?

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#30]
I had a Steyr pro hunter stock crack after about 100 rnds of 30.06. I called and told them and they wanted me to mail the cracked stock back to them which I did.  They then sent me a new stock. The whole process was maybe 2 weeks. But then again, there might be a bunch of people calling in for the AUG stocks causing back ups
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just looked at mine (a green NATO purchased last February) and it's cracked. I guess I'm calling them next week.

Is Steyr requiring the whole gun to be sent back or just the stock?

View Quote

You will have to send in the whole gun. Each stock is hand fit to the aug. There is aom general being able to swap them around, but for the best fit and finish you will want to send it to Steyr.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Guess I better go check mine. If it is cracked, I don’t think I can have it repaired per WA state law now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Guess I better go check mine. If it is cracked, I don’t think I can have it repaired per WA state law now.
View Quote

No crack on mine. Put a couple hundred rounds through it before Cola and maybe 90 rounds at Cola.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]
I am mulling over just doing the dremel corner modification myself on my slightly older AUG, just to prevent the issue from popping up.  It is a half assed fix, but if it is the same method Steyr is doing, I guess it is fine…

Kind of reminds me of the original Colt A2 uppers with M4 feed ramps.  The did a lot of those feed ramps on uppers that were already anodized, so the M4 ramps were bare aluminum.  Kind of weird to see it on a brand new Colt rifle, but there it was….  

And it worked just fine.  Just like I imagine dremeling the corners to prevent a crack from starting would.

Just makes me wonder if other locations might be more susceptible to having a crack than they should, but they are less likely to have it happen versus the take down, which clearly is the most likely place for it to crack…
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Round needle files.  However, it is NOT a receiver and not regulated by federal law.  I'd drop ship it to an ID address and go pick it up if the state regulates it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I am mulling over just doing the dremel corner modification myself on my slightly older AUG, just to prevent the issue from popping up.  It is a half assed fix, but if it is the same method Steyr is doing, I guess it is fine…

Kind of reminds me of the original Colt A2 uppers with M4 feed ramps.  The did a lot of those feed ramps on uppers that were already anodized, so the M4 ramps were bare aluminum.  Kind of weird to see it on a brand new Colt rifle, but there it was….  

And it worked just fine.  Just like I imagine dremeling the corners to prevent a crack from starting would.

Just makes me wonder if other locations might be more susceptible to having a crack than they should, but they are less likely to have it happen versus the take down, which clearly is the most likely place for it to crack…
View Quote

I  would use needle files to do it - dremel could overdo it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd say a small round file would be better then taking a dremel to it.

That said, it would be good to figure out if this corer issue is even the issue or not.

I'm tempted to email Steyr Austria to see if they even know about this issue?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:09:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That said, it would be good to figure out if this corer issue is even the issue or not.

View Quote

They very much know about this issue. Type ‘cracked Aug” into google, this has been going on for over an year now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I could tell by the inflection in the voice of the lady I talked to in the phone they know it's an issue.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:09:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I could tell by the inflection in the voice of the lady I talked to in the phone they know it's an issue.

View Quote

Yeah, some people have had complete failures while firing.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen that after I did some research.

Hopefully they dont have similar issues with their magazines. I'm not a big believer in polymer mags but I went with the standard stock because everyone says the mags are great and it does look more classic than the NATO stock.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:53:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Magazines have not and never really have been an issue.

This stock thing is something relatively new since the Vid19.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

afaik, the stocks are made in Austria so they probably do know
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:43:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I figured it couldn't hurt, so I broke the corners on mine, with a needle file.  Looking at the pictures of my old pre-ban M1, it had square corners on the takedown latch, so Steyr knows how to do it right.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:32:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Has anyone had any luck getting an RMA from Steyr?  

I've tried calling multiple times and only get voicemail. I submitted their return form via email last week and still have heard nothing.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 9:19:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Has anyone had any luck getting an RMA from Steyr?  

I've tried calling multiple times and only get voicemail. I submitted their return form via email last week and still have heard nothing.  
View Quote

I had to pay my own shipping.

Call this number: 205-417-8644
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:36:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I had to pay my own shipping.

Call this number: 205-417-8644
View Quote
I figured I might have to.

That's the number I've been calling. I get a friendly receptionist, I tell her I have an AUG that needs warranty repair, she transfers me, and then I get voicemail.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:45:46 AM EDT
[#48]
Please be aware Steyr USA is a company of less than 30 people last time I checked, if someone is on vaca you may have to wait a week.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Please be aware Steyr USA is a company of less than 30 people last time I checked, if someone is on vaca you may have to wait a week.
View Quote
Wow, I didn't know it was that small.

I'll keep trying next week.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 12:13:06 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wow, I didn't know it was that small.

I'll keep trying next week.
View Quote

Yup very small stateside, I didn’t know this either till I was trying get a hole of them for an order question a few months back. Great people, but small staffed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top