Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2019 1:05:07 PM EDT
I've been doing some reading on different types of entry door materials... I'm particularly interested in something that is solid wood or steel skinned. I don't live in a ritzy neighborhood and as such, I don't have a need for an uber fancy or costly door. I want tough and decent looking at a reasonable cost. No glass panels in door.

In light of that, what have y'all found and used that works well in the modest price range? Is steel skinned as tough as solid wood? The big box stores seem to have some decent looking pre-hung steel skinned doors with reinforced lock blocks and a steel support beam inside the door for around 200 bucks. Jeld-Wen and Masonite are a couple popular brands at Home Depot. Has anyone tried to kick in or defeat these kinds of doors personally? Do they hold up to the test?  (Regardless of door type, it would be coupled with some of the obvious frame strengthening like longer screws at strike plates and hinges to address those typical weak points).

Thanks for any help/advice.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If you get a reasonably solid door, add something like door jam armor, add a high quality lock like a Medeco, you will be ahead of 99% of other residential houses (potential criminal targets).

Door armor

Medeco

Criminals look for easy targets, if it takes 3 or 4 kicks to get in, they will usually move on to an easier target.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#2]
And, you're already on the right track by planning on reinforcing all hardware points. They are the weakest point, even with a moderate strength door.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Do it New York style:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top