Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2018 3:57:37 PM EDT

Okay, so I'm wondering if there is any way that the engraving on my Colt lower can be fixed. There are two issues:

As you can see, the laser engraving really did not come out very well. Comments about getting my money back from the engraver aside, it looks kind of crappy and it would be nice to sharpen it up, especially if it could be re-anodized to not be silver.

Finally, to make matters worse, the city is incorrect. Again, comments about the original engraver aside, I'd like to get that changed as well.

Since the engraving is not very deep, I'm thinking that a shallow rectangle could be engraved, which would be deep enough to obscure the current engraving, but shallow enough to allow further engraving. I would then have my name and City re engraved properly. Is this possible? Any ideas of who can do this?
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What you propose is doable. Send it to one of the recommended engravers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What you propose is doable. Send it to one of the recommended engravers.
View Quote
Who do you recommend?
I contacted one engraver in Pennsylvania, and they said that they could certainly engrave the lower, but they couldn't fix what's already on there. They recommended me having a rectangle machined out, but that leaves me with an ugly silver spot. Plus, I would still need to figure out where to have that done.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I would use an automatic centerpunch to redefine the letters.  That is how I do it anyway.  If you want it pretty, send it out.

An artist type engraver could make easy work of that on aluminum.  A shop using a machine, probably not.

I engrave inside the trigger guard. 
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 5:27:17 PM EDT
[#4]
sand it down, evenly across the side of the magwell, repark, re engrave in the trigger well.

done.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:31:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Get it engraved properly and alumiblack that out?

just spit balling here

ETA: get it engraved properly then slap a uid weapon label over that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 7:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Get it engraved properly and alumiblack that out?

just spit balling here

ETA: get it engraved properly then slap a uid weapon label over that.
View Quote
UID label... That's actually a very good idea...
What are the measurements on those? Picture of one so that I can see the size?
I remember someone selling them a while ago here...
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

UID label... That's actually a very good idea...
What are the measurements on those? Picture of one so that I can see the size?
I remember someone selling them a while ago here...
View Quote
Check out Carolina laser works, they offer them and can give you the size if it's not listed on the website.

hell I bet they could even make you one in the size needed to cover that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Check out Carolina laser works, they offer them and can give you the size if it's not listed on the website.

hell I bet they could even make you one in the size needed to cover that.
View Quote
I just got an email back from him, and that's exactly what he said. Awesome! Much better solution than sanding and reanodizing and all that mess.
Thanks for that suggestion!
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I gave you the answer over on M4C just now.

If the other city is nearby, and you haven't assembled the rifle, it's an easy fix. Drive into the city limits, make the final assembly, and leave the engraving as is. Color it with a sharpie, aluminum black, whatever you want. You're done.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I gave you the answer over on M4C just now.

If the other city is nearby, and you haven't assembled the rifle, it's an easy fix. Drive into the city limits, make the final assembly, and leave the engraving as is. Color it with a sharpie, aluminum black, whatever you want. You're done.
View Quote
that's a good idea, but my main issue is that I don't want the other City on my rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who do you recommend?
View Quote
THSF or Ident.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Tarheel State did my SCAR while I was picking up my Mask awhile back, it is perfect.
Link Posted: 9/8/2018 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#16]
A strong laser could wipe the area then start over again.

It would be deeper but would look good.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Rectangle the area and fill it in with moly resin or something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top