Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2023 4:05:32 PM EDT
I just got my approval today on my first sbr 17 days. I know it needs to be engraved but is it just my name and  city state I filed as an individual. I figured it would say exactly what needed to be engraved with the approval. Thanks for the help for a first timer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 4:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#1]
Originally Posted By DetroitDuramax:
I just got my approval today on my first sbr 17 days. I know it needs to be engraved but is it just my name and  city state I filed as an individual. I figured it would say exactly what needed to be engraved with the approval. Thanks for the help for a first timer.
View Quote

You are correct.

John Doe  City, State

Good to know the eForm 1's are going quickly...just submitted one this morning.
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 7:18:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_Man] [#2]
Your name and the city/state where you make it into an SBR, put onto the frame/receiver.

The state may be abbreviated to the 2 letter postal abbreviation.
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 1:16:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I am a first timer as well.

No local shops around me do any kind of engraving.

Anyone know a shop close to Maine who is doing this?
Link Posted: 11/21/2023 9:24:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By campower:

View Quote

@campower
Have you tried posting in the Maine hometown forum?

I don’t have anyone locally either. THSF does great work, they usually have it engraved and on its way back to me within 24 hours.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Don't overlook local jewelers. I'd have never considered it until I stumbled on one here.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 9:39:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: awd_xtc] [#6]
Another vote for tar heel state firearms
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By awd_xtc:
Another vote for tar heel state firearms
View Quote

Between my girlfriend and I they have engraved 10 lowers for us and they are perfect.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#8]
+1 for THSF.  They do excellent work.

Another option, although I would not recommend it unless you are desperate, is a $25 dremel engraver from Amazon.  I only know this because shortly after the ATF receiver rule change, no FFL would touch a PMF.  The results of free hand engraving are humorous, but adequate.

I think that the receiver rule has since been reversed, so this is hopefully no longer an issue.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote

Look up laser engraving near me or maine or businesses that do it near you.

I typed it in and there are some in  Maine.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:27:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: manowar669] [#10]
Follow up questions

When engraving an existing rifle lower, do you have to strike out the original mfg? If original lower marking says caliber Multi, should I still put "multi" on the form 1 (I've read it will get rejected), or should I put "cal 5.56" on the form 1, an strike the original lower marking and engrave 5.56?
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:54:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By manowar669:
Follow up questions

When engraving an existing rifle lower, do you have to strike out the original mfg?

No.

If original lower marking says caliber Multi, should I still put "multi" on the form 1 (I've read it will get rejected), or should I put "cal 5.56" on the form 1, an strike the original lower marking and engrave 5.56?

On the form 1, put the actual caliber the SBR will be made into.  DO NOT put "multi".  Then if the barrel has the caliber marking, and they usually do, then you don't need to add anything to the lower, nor do you need to strike out multi.  If the barrel or receiver doesn't have the actualy caliber engraved anywhere, then you would have to add it but again, no need to strike anything out anywhere.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/21/2023 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By D_Man:

View Quote

Thanks, just wanna get my info together before I hit the silencershop kiosk.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:06:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DetroitDuramax:
View Quote

name
city/state
model if exists
caliber
SN

You adopt existing markings of they apply.
Link Posted: 12/21/2023 4:07:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
+1 for THSF.  They do excellent work.

Another option, although I would not recommend it unless you are desperate, is a $25 dremel engraver from Amazon.  I only know this because shortly after the ATF receiver rule change, no FFL would touch a PMF.  The results of free hand engraving are humorous, but adequate.

I think that the receiver rule has since been reversed, so this is hopefully no longer an issue.
View Quote

It is currently in effect.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 3:49:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I've used Ident Markings in Rockwall, Texas. His work is exceptional.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:41:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#16]

View Quote

I’m in Houlton… didn’t even look… THSF.

I sent down my TAC-14 a few months back, after I put the stock and 18” barrel on (wanted a non-NFA option and allows for USPS shipping).

THSF are about 90 minutes from my parents house (down in NC visiting and have a training), so stopped by today with my AR pistol and .45 upper that I wanted engraved. Great people and unbelievably fast work. Did the trigger area for the AR. Engraving is close to the original PSA engraving on the lower. Whenever I get down to doing my .45 AR, I’ll send the lower down to them for it.

Depending where you are, I’d check with Maine Military or The Gun Shop in Augusta… just the two NFA dealers I know off the top of my head. They might be able to point you in a direction.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 1:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you need to go through an FFL to ship lowers out for engraving?
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 4:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Still waiting on a form 1 from 1/8. Trust.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 7:59:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#19]
Originally Posted By ScottyPotty:
Do you need to go through an FFL to ship lowers out for engraving?
View Quote

No, and another vote for Tar Heel State.
Follow their shipping directions and if you don’t see them or cannot find them, email them for current instructions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#20]
If you are close by, Gerbrand Defense in Waterford Township does them right there. They did all of mine. I just called ahead to make sure they’re available when I’d  be in the area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top