Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2024 3:19:06 PM EDT
I'm cross shopping the YHM Turbo T3 and the EA Ferox.  Both are about the same weight and size. Both are advertised as low back pressure cans. The Ferox is more expensive.

I can't see from the marketing data, which of these cans has any advantage over the other.

@kedminster What makes the Ferox better?  How do they compare in back pressure?

My intended use is 8"-12" SBRs with muzzle brakes. Back pressure is a priority.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
I'm cross shopping the YHM Turbo T3 and the EA Ferox.  Both are about the same weight and size. Both are advertised as low back pressure cans. The Ferox is more expensive.

I can't see from the marketing data, which of these cans has any advantage over the other.

@kedminster What makes the Ferox better?  How do they compare in back pressure?

My intended use is 8"-12" SBRs with muzzle brakes. Back pressure is a priority.
View Quote

YHM has a 10" barrel length minimum in 556, so keep that in mind. Also have to use their mounts if you want warranty coverage. Keep that in mind if you need to use it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By yamahawarrior89:

YHM has a 10" barrel length minimum in 556, so keep that in mind. Also have to use their mounts if you want warranty coverage. Keep that in mind if you need to use it.
View Quote
Good point. I forgot about that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I’d opt for the Ferrox.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Ferox is on my radar for sure.    It will go on my bolt action .22-250
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:16:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By unseenSNIPER:
I'd opt for the Ferrox.
View Quote
Yeah, I'm leaning that way.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got a ferox in jail

Hopefully soon…
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:38:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kedminster] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#10]
No experience with the Ferrox, but I really like my Turbo 3 and Turbo K. Excellent cans for the money. And my one experience with YHM's service department for a mount issue was as pain free as possible. Only about a two week turnaround time and they were very fast with getting back to me and keeping me updated.

I am using the Turbo 3 on an 11.5" Daniel Defense that has an .069" gas port. It runs great on that with an H3 buffer and has been very reliable. It has a nice sound and other than first round pop the flash is about impossible to detect with your eye. So far I'm quite happy considering it was only $485. I did swap it over to the Kurz mount and mini brake. But was able to sell the included mount and brake which recouped most of that cost.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#11]
@kedminster

I came away from SHOT24 impressed with the ferox…I’m pretty sure I talked to you for a little while.

I was down there shopping for the department, and yours was the only can I ordered for myself when I got home.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:23:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Damnit, I don’t really even have a host, but I want one of these now.  The thread with the innards of this can is good too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 6:39:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By KnightSchneider:
I’ve got a ferox in jail

Hopefully soon…
View Quote

What's the street price? Are they f/a rated?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:05:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes to FA rated

Just under 7 from my guy
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By weapons_free:

What's the street price? Are they f/a rated?
View Quote

Lanbos sells them for ~$600 when in stock, + transfer fee
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys might pick one up
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:42:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I absolutely love my T3.
If I was buying another 5.56 can, it would probably be another T3. Simply can’t touch it for the price IMO. Sounds fantastic and it’s considerably less blowback than other 5.56 suppressors I’ve shot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:56:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11boomboom] [#18]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
I absolutely love my T3.
If I was buying another 5.56 can, it would probably be another T3. Simply can’t touch it for the price IMO. Sounds fantastic and it’s considerably less blowback than other 5.56 suppressors I’ve shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
I absolutely love my T3.

Same.

Originally Posted By kedminster:

Thank you for considering the Ferox! We did the development work for that silencer on a MK18 so that is exactly the type of SBR it is designed for. A balance of suppression and back pressure was the primary design goal for the Ferox while also maintaining optimized efficiency in terms of dB/oz. There are no barrel length restrictions on the Ferox under 1,000 deg. F. Full specs here

I don't have a YHM T3 and have not shot one side-by-side with a Ferox so honest answer is I don't know how they compare.

The Ferox does feature our patented serial ID ring so you are covered for life should you have an unexpected visit from the fuck-up fairy. It is HUB mount so you can use your choice of mounting system if you decide to go QD.

Hope this info helps and please reach out if there are any other questions. Again I appreciate you considering the Ferox along with the YHM and hope you enjoy shooting whichever silencer you decide to go with!

Karl Edminster
Design Parameter Juggler
Energetic Armament

I really like my T3, but a post like this makes me lean towards the Ferox, OP.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:18:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#19]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
I really like my T3, but a post like this makes me lean towards the Ferox, OP.
View Quote
I've made up my mind. I'm getting both the Ferox and a Turbo K RB.  

I just ordered the TK from CA and I'll order the Ferox when I get my next paycheck.  I'll likely get another Griffin Explorr after that.

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:20:16 AM EDT
[#20]

I just ordered the TK from CA and I'll order the Ferox when I get my next paycheck.  I'll likely get another Griffin Explorr after that.

View Quote

Gratz!
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:24:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#21]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:

Gratz!
View Quote
It's only taken me two months to decide whet to get.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote
Getting both is always a solid plan.

I have the older TK as well and really want the new version after comparing it to my T3.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:

I have the older TK as well and really want the new version after comparing it to my T3.
View Quote
I have a gen2 TK as well. I'm looking forward to comparing it to the new one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 11:48:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HansohnBrothers] [#24]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 2:04:54 PM EDT
[#25]
What are the db levels?
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:05:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:10:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:28:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 8:43:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#31]

Of which silencer? With what host firearm, barrel length, tuning and buffer weight? What cartridge and bullet weight? Measured at what location?

I only ask this to demonstrate that peak dB levels depend on so many factors that they really only mean something when the exact setup that was tested is defined and a range is given. This is 5.56 so you will have a noise floor ultimately limited by the sonic crack.

Realistically you are probably looking at 147-155dB at the shooters ear depending on all these factors for a mid length typical setup. Like any other similar setup you will want to use hearing protection in addition to the sound attenuationed by the silencer.

Karl Edminster
#define SOUND (unsupressed-suppressed)
Energetic Armament
View Quote

My answer to the above would be on any host and setup that you have tested. 10.5? 14.5? just a baseline would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

I too have a TK and have been curious about the upgraded Turbo line. Specifically in back pressure. Would you mind sharing your experience and the comparison between the two? Sounds like it was positive and the T3 is an upgrade. If you’d rather hit me up via IM but I’m sure others are interested in your experience as well. Thanks JBecker.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:26:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By tex45:

I too have a TK and have been curious about the upgraded Turbo line. Specifically in back pressure. Would you mind sharing your experience and the comparison between the two? Sounds like it was positive and the T3 is an upgrade. If you'd rather hit me up via IM but I'm sure others are interested in your experience as well. Thanks JBecker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tex45:

I too have a TK and have been curious about the upgraded Turbo line. Specifically in back pressure. Would you mind sharing your experience and the comparison between the two? Sounds like it was positive and the T3 is an upgrade. If you'd rather hit me up via IM but I'm sure others are interested in your experience as well. Thanks JBecker.
Sure. Basically the T3 doesn't gas me out any. I'm using it on an 11.5" Daniel Defense with a .069" gas port. No fancy charging handle, haven't made any changes to the gas system. Just using an H3 buffer and carbine spring. Overall it seems to be a big improvement.

The rifle I normally run the older TK on I swapped the gas tube for a reduced size BRT tube and that helped a lot. But I didn't feel the need to change anything with the T3.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I run my T3 on an 11.5” upper with a .062” gas block. Blow back is very, very minimal, especially compared to a friends Sandman S.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Thank you! Glad you appreciate my approach to interaction here

Karl Edminster
Professionalism Matterer
Energetic Armament
View Quote

I appreciate your interacting here as well. I like that flash suppression is part of the Ferox design, but am unable to find anything online about it at the moment. What kind of performance are you seeing there? Any pictures or video available? Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:29:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KnightSchneider] [#36]
Cleared NFA jail.Attachment Attached File

I’m running ASR, so the cans it will go up against are a SiCo Saker 5.56k, and a EA Vox S.

Hoping to get out to the range Sunday.

I plan to run those on a Geissele SD 11.5” and a Hellion 16” as I don’t have any piston driven sbrs.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:22:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Cleared NFA jail.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20662/IMG_7740_jpeg-3186571.JPG

I'm running ASR, so the cans it will go up against are a SiCo Saker 5.56k, and a EA Vox S.

Hoping to get out to the range Sunday.

I plan to run those on a Geissele SD 11.5" and a Hellion 16" as I don't have any piston driven sbrs.
View Quote
Nice!  I've got mine coming inbound from CA soon.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Well

Not the most scientific, but seems very encouraging.

I shot 5 rounds unsuppressed, 5 rounds Saker 5.56k, 5 rounds ferox, 5 rounds vox s.  In that order.

I was shooting federal American eagle 62 gr ball, .223.  Pretty mild stuff; on the weaker end of the spectrum.

Unsuppressed and Ferox went into the same pile at about 4 o’clock.  Vox s put three into the same pile as unsuppressed, and two at about 3:30.  Saker 5.56k put them at about 2 o’clock.  The saker has always been my gassiest 5.56 can.

The tone was pleasant; I was shooting near some buildings, so it masks it to some extent, but it was definitely quieter than the k can.

Overall I’m very pleased so far.

It’s going to live on the 11.5” Geissele SD.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Well

Not the most scientific, but seems very encouraging.

I shot 5 rounds unsuppressed, 5 rounds Saker 5.56k, 5 rounds ferox, 5 rounds vox s.  In that order.

I was shooting federal American eagle 62 gr ball, .223.  Pretty mild stuff; on the weaker end of the spectrum.

Unsuppressed and Ferox went into the same pile at about 4 o'clock.  Vox s put three into the same pile as unsuppressed, and two at about 3:30.  Saker 5.56k put them at about 2 o'clock.  The saker has always been my gassiest 5.56 can.

The tone was pleasant; I was shooting near some buildings, so it masks it to some extent, but it was definitely quieter than the k can.

Overall I'm very pleased so far.

It's going to live on the 11.5" Geissele SD.
View Quote
Awesome. Thanks for the range report!

The ejection pattern with the Ferox looks promising.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:30:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Put some more through the 11.5 SD/ Ferox.

It’s a pleasant combo.

Here is a pic of the top round in the magazine after 15 rounds fired. Unsuppressed and suppressed.  Doesn’t look like much more gas getting introduced.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 4:57:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Started digging around into the EA Vox K2 today, now yall got me interested in the Ferox as well!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Started digging around into the EA Vox K2 today, now yall got me interested in the Ferox as well!
View Quote
I'm thinking about getting a Vox K2 next!
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:42:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#43]
Just got my Ferox today! Just handling it, I'm pretty impressed. It feels very solid and durable. It weighs in at 12 5/8 oz with a Ti Plan A adapter so not super heavy.  I like the flash hider end cap. This can seems very comparable to the Recce 5K size and weight wise. I look forward to seeing how they compare sound and back pressure wise.

One thing I noticed is the bore seems a bit generous. I noticed this on my ARX as well. Maybe that helps back pressure. It certainly will help give a little more forgiveness with the alignment rod on my 556 AKs. My ARX saved the day on my Saiga when other 556 cans were just kissing the alignment rod at the end cap.

The Ferox looks good on my Galil. Feels good too.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:14:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top