Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2021 7:01:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Spider1]
Hey guys, I just bought a Duke Ultra the other day and while looking up parts and diagrams (No useful paperwork in the box)  I saw the Duke. The ultra is sold with a palm grip and an 18.5" barrel and is called a - Firearm "other" Pump Action. There is a shoulder stock but when sold it has the palm stock on it. The Duke has only the palm stock and a 14.5" barrel. Otherwise the guns are the same. I like the long gun and plan to keep it that way but I was just wondering, if I keep the palm grip on and cut the barrel to 14.5" what laws if any am I breaking and what would I need to do to make it legal?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:29:17 AM EDT
[#1]
hm. maybe this isn't the right forum for this question. Maybe this would be better placed in the shotgun forum or maybe the SBS forum?
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I went to the ATF sight and read about the NFA and title 2 and the AOW rules. What I get out of it is that at production and importation this type of weapon had a pistol grip on it and would be considered a "smooth bore pistol, pump operated" or "AOW, pump operated". Barrel length and overall length doesn't matter at this point. With the 18.5" barrel I can put a shoulder stock on the weapon and it would be a legal shotgun. Put a shoulder stock on a gun with a 14.5" barrel and it would cost me $200. But as a pistol, the barrel can be shortened as long as it has never been a shotgun? So if I wanted to, I could cut the barrel, but would need to dispose of the shoulder stock?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
So you are dealing with 2 different firearms that have the same action. It's like how Mossberg and Remington created the Shockwave and Tac14 using their flagship shotguns.
The first firearm you are talking about is a pump action shotgun, but because it has no stock is considered is considered a firearm.
The second firearm you talked about is a smooth bore firearm. It's a platypus per say.
Your firearm that you purchased can have the barrel cutdown to around 14 inches, but the overall length has to be over 26". If it goes below 26" then you made an AOW. If you ever put the stock on it and then cut the barrel then you made a Short Barreled Shotgun.
If you want to make a SBS or AOW then file the Form 1 and pay for the tax stamp.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks for replying 243savage, the conversation was getting a bit one sided, LOL.

Yeah, that's basically what I was understanding. As manufactured, it was a "Pistol grip only firearm". No shoulder stock and OAL greater than 26" (with no stipulation on barrel length) makes it not a shotgun or AOW. Under 26" and it's an AOW. Under 18" barrel with a shoulder stock and it's an SBS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top