Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2019 3:53:12 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with these? I've become interested in them and am considering trying to hunt one down. What are your thoughts on the rifle? What are its strengths and weaknesses?
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
There is one at a pawn shop in Dennison Texas on 91 right now.  Forgot the name of the shop but it's a small one on the N bound side of 91.  They wanted $900 for it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
No worries there, I reload for all my milsurps...
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 4:11:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I picked up one a few years back for 190$ at a local shop. I feel bad for the dude that sold it to them!

It is fun to shoot - not that I have shot it a bunch.

These Garrand thumb has nothing on the Hakim Hack!

Watch yourself!
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
"Robust" (Read: heavy) Tames 8mm recoil well.

Accurate.

Pain in the ass to reload from stripper clips.

Obnoxious, both in recoil to the side and noise.

I like mine. It's a damn fun rifle to shoot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#6]
While I don't own one, I have shot several, and they always seemed too short on the length of pull to suit me comfortably.... Like 2 inches too short, and I am an average guy myself at 5' 10". Like was said already, be aware of the loading sequence or you will have no thumb, let alone a Garand thumb...That being said, they are pretty accurate and have very little recoil for an 8mm mauser. VERY soft shooting, but man, the muzzle blast is unreal. need 2x the hearing pro of any other rifle I ever shot.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I think there's one in the EE right now fyi.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 9:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Love mine, you'll want an ag42 and Rasheed after you get one lol
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 10:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No worries there, I reload for all my milsurps...
View Quote
Brass will get dented, though, when its ejected and hits the C-shaped "handle" on the side.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 12:08:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Thing is a freakin club , but fun to shoot. The adjustable gas system is nice also , but yes it is loud and destroys brass.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 4:32:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one.  It isn't the easiest to get thoroughly clean, and I'm used to mostly running milsurp ammo through my Mausers.  For the Hakim I run reloaded commercial ammo.
Link Posted: 11/15/2019 8:59:48 PM EDT
[#12]
To help mitigate brass damage you can slip a piece of silicone hose over the charge bar.

The original rubber buffer is looooooong gone on most all of them.
Link Posted: 11/16/2019 2:26:54 AM EDT
[#13]
You can modify some old german MG 25 round mag to fit in them. I should try that for mine.
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Robust" (Read: heavy) Tames 8mm recoil well.

Accurate.

Pain in the ass to reload from stripper clips.

Obnoxious, both in recoil to the side and noise.

I like mine. It's a damn fun rifle to shoot.
View Quote
If you find them a pain to reload from a stripper clip, then you aren't doing it right.

There's a certain way to do it.

At 0:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtzacbJ-DvA
Link Posted: 11/18/2019 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#15]
i owned one and sold it.

by far one of the most difficult rifles to clean if you shoot corrosive ammo.

do not shoot surplus through it. if you do it will be a nightmare to clean

if you shoot normal non berdan/ non corrosive ammo it will be so much easier.

you need a special tool to adjust the gas system.

watch your thumb/fingers. it will clip the end of your fingers off. be very very careful

super great gun to shoot. no recoil at all. sounds like a cannon going off.

bolt is super easy to clean.

it will dent your brass.

you can get an extended mg25 magazine if you want. it is a waste in my opinion and i had one.

make sure it has the rear sight elevator for the iron sight. they can be found online if missing, and a ton of them are missing it.

make sure to clean it very well, and use grease on the rails for the bolt, not oil.

if you want a super nice 8mm auto loader, they are superb.
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 10:48:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#17]
They are surprisingly accurate, soft shooting, and very loud. I think someone here said that they have the ergonomics of a telephone pole - they are right!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top