Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2019 10:33:26 PM EDT
I have seen several posters say they have a hard time getting their optical crony setup fast and easy...Here is a method that makes it very simple with a little practice..even on a busy range...

The goal...Everything in line, the target, the crony, the bench, and the rifle...at the correct distance..
Attachment Attached File

So you will need some string...I find it easiest too aim my rifle first..I normally pic a rock that is in line with where my target should be...I get my rifle set up and bagged in, get my crony all setup ready to walk it out as well as my target. Then once the range goes safe, I merely run my target down and set it inline with the rock I picked, then run back, double check rifle is pointed close, then with the string on the barrel walk my crony out..using the string to set the distance, align the barrel to the optics, to level the crony and to square the crony..

Attachment Attached File

So before hand I have measured out the string to get my correct distance(18 feet for me),I tie a small loop in each end, and  I want to hook the string over the barrel back close to the optic so I can use the centerline of the barrel to line my string up on...Notice it hooked over the spigot met. to keep it from sliding down the barrel...

Attachment Attached File

Same deal on the other end, but I will just be holding it..On the crony screen rods I mark each one 3" up from the case with them fully inserted...These marks are used to level the crony with your string...Notice the black marks on the post, also notice tthe crony isn't quite square over the optic windows...

Attachment Attached File

With very little practice you can get the crony almost exactly the same every time...notice the string goes downhill after the muzzle brake..crony needs to be raised just a tiny bit..but it would work as set...
Attachment Attached File

A look from the front of the crony..normally my hand is holding the string in place as I align and level everything up...once placed remove the string and you can do slight shifts too the rifle as needed to perfectly line everything up as needed...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 11:00:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:25:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I own an Oehler 35P. I drilled the center out of two cyclone fence caps and sandwiched them between washers and bolts for elevation adjustments

I sunk two fence posts fifteen feet ahead of my shooting bench. I simply walk the chrony to the fence posts and drop it it place. I wrapped several layers of duck tape around the top of the fence posts to eliminate slop.

I double check prior to shooting, but it rarely needs adjustment. Sometimes the first time out after the winter thaw I have to lean on one of the fence posts to get centered.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a great solution

One day I'll have the lab radar and won't have to worry about such things
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.
View Quote
You are welcome.....
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice suggestion. Any short cut to not be that guy that everyone is waiting on. Always makes the RO nervous as well handing rifle during cease fire.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 10:48:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nice suggestion. Any short cut to not be that guy that everyone is waiting on. Always makes the RO nervous as well handing rifle during cease fire.
View Quote
They would kick you off the range here if you touch anything on the bench when the range is safe... That is why I set the rifle up aimed at an identifiable point that I can set my target up in front of when the range goes cold...Normally I can be done before everyone else get their targets handled...
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Not all heros wear capes. OP is good people.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]
I can attest that it makes a difference putting rounds smack down the center of the screens to get consistent readings with these optical chronys.

I also learned the hard way to take your phone with me when setting up the chrony. Plug it in and check the connection while standing at the chrony. You can cycle the power on the chrony which I seem to have to do regularly. Then with the phone on and still plugged in, lay it on the bench from the barrel side of the bench before returning back behind the firing line.

Can't tell you how many times I turned the chrony on without plugging the phone in first, just to have to wait for the line to go cold again so i could power cycle the chrony to get a connection.

I also found adding the LED lights to the chrony and taping a heavy black garbage bag over the skyscreens enables the chrony to pick up just about every round even when the sun is very low in the sky. Wind can become a problem with the bag acting like a sail, but if its calm it works great.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Here's how I set mine up - one thumbscrew and it's a done deal.

Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:48:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone thought of using a Picatinny rail or bore sighting laser?  The chronograph is only 10 feet away.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Has anyone thought of using a Picatinny rail or bore sighting laser, throw a old T-shirt or cloth over the chronograph?  The chronograph is only 10 feet away.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:16:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Has anyone thought of using a Picatinny rail or bore sighting laser?  The chronograph is only 10 feet away.
View Quote
I have not, the string has always been a very simply answer to the correct alignment issues I have seen...As for distance from muzzle, mine is set at 18 ft. due to magnum rifles and muzzle blast...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
That is way to close for many caliber but especially rifles.

Think 15 YARDS.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:28:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That is way to close for many caliber but especially rifles.

Think 15 YARDS.
View Quote
That's 45 feet.  Won't that affect a precise MV calculation?  I've only used my CE Pro, but I haven't heard of that kind of distance mentioned before.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's 45 feet.  Won't that affect a precise MV calculation?  I've only used my CE Pro, but I haven't heard of that kind of distance mentioned before.
View Quote
Don't know how the others are but on the caldwell you enter the distance from muzzle to first screen so it can accurately figure MV......I have had zero issues at 18 feet, going further would make the  shooting window shrink even more...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top