Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2019 5:12:35 PM EDT
Disclaimer: I'm a FAL idiot. I've owned one for ages, but truthfully - it was an impulse buy, was taken to the range once and has sat in the safe ever since. Having caught the AR itch, which I have been scratching pretty furiously - I'm debating parting ways with this one to fund more of that addiction. However, before I make that decision I need to be a little less ignorant about what I actually have.

I picked up this DSA SA58 at the Shot Show with an FFL friend in the late 90's. If my failing memory is to be trusted, it was from one of the earliest batches they made - I think they had just announced it, and they were in very high demand. Our wait was quite a while after ordering. Picked it up with 9 full size mags, one smaller. <---- (See...really am an idiot, don't even know their capacities.)

I took it to the range once with my buddy - shot less than 50 rounds through it. That limited test, using one of the mags showed it performed flawlessly.

From what little I've gathered in some quick online searches, DSA seems to be hit or miss quality-wise these days. Customer service seems spotty as well. However, there seems to be a consensus their early guns were quality pieces. If true, I'm assuming this is one of them. Serial is DS101xx.

Can I get feedback from those of you more knowledgeable? Sure, I'm interested in value - but I'm equally curious to know more about the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Limited to 2K characters, new account. Pics below.

Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the kit used to build the rifle matching serial numbers? This will determine a large part on value. Take the hand guards off and see what kind of barrel the rifle has on it. All of these could make the difference in a $900 rifle or a $1500 rifle.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard to tell from the pic.   Is it a Greyslake receiver?
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:13:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll pull the handguards tomorrow and check for any barrel details. As for matching serials - where all would they typically be located other than the lower?

Just Googled Grayslake. Serial number starting with DS appears to indicate it's an LMT forging, and yes - "Grayslake, IL" is imprinted on the receiver.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:09:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Well...stripped down as far as I'm comfortable doing, and I can find no serials anywhere other than the previously mentioned one on the side of the receiver.

Also, no marking at all I can see on the barrel.

The bolt carrier and bolt both have a very faint "C" punched into them. Beyond that, I can find no markings anywhere.

Does this lack of info tell anything? Would detailed/closeup pics of any of the internals help?
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
You have DSA's most desirable receiver so you're off to a good start.
If you can get on the FAL files, they can get you any info you need but even they will need pics of markings.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 2:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have DSA's most desirable receiver so you're off to a good start.
If you can get on the FAL files, they can get you any info you need but even they will need pics of markings.
View Quote
Yep, plenty of great info over there. I've soaked up a bunch, and truthfully - I'd be inquiring with the many experts over there were I able.

Probably not news to you, but they manually approve new accounts. And, if my situation is typical - they take their time doing so.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful FAL.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll pull the handguards tomorrow and check for any barrel details. As for matching serials - where all would they typically be located other than the lower?

Just Googled Grayslake. Serial number starting with DS appears to indicate it's an LMT forging, and yes - "Grayslake, IL" is imprinted on the receiver.
View Quote
Grayslake predates LMT, and is very prized. Seen the stripped receivers sell for over $800. The rest looks like a mixture of  FN and stg58 parts, but the muzzle brake is a ban era creation. Those brakes are quite loud.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:12:09 AM EDT
[#10]
IIRC...
The SA58 (as opposed to the Stg58) had a US made barrel and the aluminum US made lower, in addition to whatever other US parts were included. That's why there aren't any markings on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice I'd love to own it
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 16" Grayslake gun with the ban era brake. One of the most incredible shooting guns I own. That brake may not be to everyone's liking but it keeps that gun on target in a way I've yet to experience on any other battle rifle. I will not be parting with it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 10:30:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like an original Greyslake first gen manufacture. EXCELLENT, all parts were New-Old Stock Steyer parts. The barrel was Badger, brake was soldwered on. excellent shooter, 1-11.25 twist.

Only think not correct for first-gen production is the polymer handguard in place of the stamped metal and black powdercoated ones.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
IIRC...
The SA58 (as opposed to the Stg58) had a US made barrel and the aluminum US made lower, in addition to whatever other US parts were included. That's why there aren't any markings on the barrel.
View Quote
They also used Steyr replacemnet parts with no serial number where they could.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 11:30:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks like an original Greyslake first gen manufacture. EXCELLENT, all parts were New-Old Stock Steyer parts. The barrel was Badger, brake was soldwered on. excellent shooter, 1-11.25 twist.

Only think not correct for first-gen production is the polymer handguard in place of the stamped metal and black powdercoated ones.
View Quote
I have one of their 1st batch of FALs also DS1001XX. It was shipped from DSA to my FFL and it has the same polymer handguards.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#16]
The original batch of us made sa58s were amazing pieces the serial numbers were DS 10045 indicates it was the 45th rifle made. These are not the stg 58s that came from Dsa from kits nor are the the newer ones with aluminum receivers.  I have three of these and two I sent back after the ban ended and had Belgium short flashhiders put on but had to cut The barrels to 18 since the three hole brake is welded. I have one in original configuration.  The fore end had a unique texture to it, almost rubbery and not slick. Triggers were also very smooth, I like them better than the newer ones.  Excellent weapon. Hang on to it. None like that now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top