Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2020 5:15:50 PM EDT
Stupid question #47 - So the documentation states that the wipes are to be used with subsonic ammo, and I am going to direct thread mount this on a 6.5 Creedmoor, do I need to remove the wipe or not?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:18:58 PM EDT
[#1]
short answer: yes, remove it

Using wipes with supersonic ammo is not unsafe, but you'll see a negative impact on accuracy and not as much of an impact on sound reduction as with subsonic rounds.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gentlemen
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not much deflection at all. There is another thread showing the results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
short answer: yes, remove it

Using wipes with supersonic ammo is not unsafe, but you'll see a negative impact on accuracy and not as much of an impact on sound reduction as with subsonic rounds.
Not much deflection at all. There is another thread showing the results.

Interesting, I'll have to check that out.

I'm assuming even the smallest 1-2 MOA increase in group size would be unacceptable to OP (or anyone else) with a 6.5 Creedmoor host.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:49:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Stupid question #47 - So the documentation states that the wipes are to be used with subsonic ammo, and I am going to direct thread mount this on a 6.5 Creedmoor, do I need to remove the wipe or not?
View Quote

Not a stupid question at all; sorry we didn't explain this with more clarity.

The wipes offer the best performance with subsonic rounds. That being said there is no harm in shooting through the wipe with supersonics like 6.5CM. We make the recommendation to remove the wipe with supers because they don't offer much additional suppression and will get chewed up pretty quickly with supers.

I would recommend applying antiseize to the wipe retainer and tightening it into the cap when not using the wipe. This will help protect the cap threads.

If you have any other questions I am always happy to answer them here or you can email/call/txt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not a stupid question at all; sorry we didn't explain this with more clarity.

The wipes offer the best performance with subsonic rounds. That being said there is no harm in shooting through the wipe with supersonics like 6.5CM. We make the recommendation to remove the wipe with supers because they don't offer much additional suppression and will get chewed up pretty quickly with supers.

I would recommend applying antiseize to the wipe retainer and tightening it into the cap when not using the wipe. This will help protect the cap threads.

If you have any other questions I am always happy to answer them here or you can email/call/txt.
View Quote

Thank you - kedminster, certainly keeping your username handy for my future stupid questions on this device
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you - kedminster, certainly keeping your username handy for my future stupid questions on this device
View Quote

Very welcome! Please don't hesitate to reach out any time. All my contact info is on our website if you need to reach me faster than on here.
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quick follow up, removed the wipe, mounted it on my Delta5 6.5 CM, POI shifted up about 3 inches at 200 yards. Made adjustments on paper, then spent money ringing steel at 200. Would have gone to 400, but ran out of time, always this weekend.

Side note, a direct hit of 6.5 CM on a 3/4" pipe target support goes straight through with Black Hills 137g ELD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top