Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2020 6:27:33 PM EDT
I have an upcoming shotgun class and am trying to figure out a way to hold extra shells. I saw several people recommend dump pouches which seems like a good idea but I'm open to about anything at this point.

For those that do run dump pouches, what are your thoughts on drawing from them? A leg strap and a wide mouth seems necessary and it looks like some folks include those in their design. Currently looking at Coyote Tactical, T-rex arms, First Spear, and Arbor Arms. Any others that might work for this application?

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Emdom has a killer looking dump pouch HERE

I've never used it, but own other pouches of theirs. Quality is top-notch!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wear it as a nutsack. (Hanging off the front of your rig)
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:05:57 PM EDT
[#4]
5.11 makes a nice pouch that holds a standard 25 box worth with an elastic top opening you can get your hand through to fish out shells.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
MOLLE II canteen/GP pouches work, too.

For me, shotshell cards are the way.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:10:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MOLLE II canteen/GP pouches work, too.

View Quote

This.  Put some velcro on the side of your receiver, cards can sit in AR mag pouches or if you have velcro real estate on your chest rig/PC you can just rip them off as needed.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1. Esstac cards are awesome. I run one on the gun, and carried several on a ZAK key ring for replacement as needed. They will also fit into an AR magazine pouch in a pinch.

7 round card
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
CSM is still the gold standard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sweet, I'll check those out.

Re: the cards, I'm not sure I understand how those would work in an M4 pouch. Fixed to a carrier, I get, but it seems like you'd need a third hand to pull them out, unload them, and then load into a shotgun. I'm also hesitant to mount them to my receiver as I've read that it can screw with the reliability on a Benelli M4 (which is what I'm taking) so I'd like to keep it as slick and streamline as possible.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]
If you want to carry extra shells for shotgun, look at speed loaders that hang off a belt, see some of the 3gun setups.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Maxpedition RollyPoly MM on my training belt just in front of my support side hip, and it worked perfectly at a Rob Haught Shotgun class last fall.
Maxpedition is currently selling them on their site at 2 for the price of 1, but the only colors left are black and tan.

Jay
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Re: the cards, I'm not sure I understand how those would work in an M4 pouch. Fixed to a carrier, I get, but it seems like you'd need a third hand to pull them out, unload them, and then load into a shotgun. I'm also hesitant to mount them to my receiver as I've read that it can screw with the reliability on a Benelli M4 (which is what I'm taking) so I'd like to keep it as slick and streamline as possible.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Run the gun. Reload from the card that's on the gun (Velcro on the non-ejection side just like any other saddle). When the card is empty, pull off the old and slap a full one on from out of the pouch.

It's how I feed my Benelli M4. If my photobucket hadn't expired I would post you a pic. Served me well for 12 years as a patrol shotgun, and shotgun instructor schools. I personally just clip my spare full cards to the Zak tool key ring holder on my belt but I have seen others load the cards into mag pouches.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#13]
The primary downside to just pouring some shells into a dump pouch is that you don't know which random way the shell will be oriented when you reach in and grab it, adding a bit to the fumbling around while you observe the orientation of the shell you just grabbed, manipulate it to how you want it, and then get around to loading it.

With something like dedicated shell carriers or cards, the shells will always be oriented in the same way, and you can practice grabbing and loading them the same way every time, resulting in faster and smoother loading.

Same thing if you were to just dump all your rifle or pistol magazine into a loose pouch to get all jumbled around, versus keeping them in magazine pouches with the same orientation every time.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The primary downside to just pouring some shells into a dump pouch is that you don't know which random way the shell will be oriented when you reach in and grab it, adding a bit to the fumbling around while you observe the orientation of the shell you just grabbed, manipulate it to how you want it, and then get around to loading it.

With something like dedicated shell carriers or cards, the shells will always be oriented in the same way, and you can practice grabbing and loading them the same way every time, resulting in faster and smoother loading.

Same thing if you were to just dump all your rifle or pistol magazine into a loose pouch to get all jumbled around, versus keeping them in magazine pouches with the same orientation every time.
View Quote

Totally agree and was wondering about that when I asked the initial question. Sounds like cards are the way to go then?

For those that have run them on auto's... is there any effect on reliability? I've read numerous reports that if you hang too much shit on an M4 it'll cause reliability issues. Mines is currently stock outside of FL magazine tube and c-stock (+ the required 922r parts in the FCG) so the weight penalty would be minimal.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#15]
My Benelli sports the surefire rail, a magpul AFG, VTac lightmount with a Fenix TK series light, Procter sling and the collapsible stock in addition to the card on the side. Never had a hiccup.

She feeds buck, slug, and bird reliably and interchangeably (Thanks ARGO ??).

Just not Winchester whitebox 7 1/2... that stuff was anemic.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#16]
I used this for a shotgun class, and it worked great.  Each pouch holds a box, and you don't lose track of shell orientation and such.

With some practice it worked really well.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#17]
The Benelli M4 is gas operated, go to town with accessories.

The inertia recoil-operated Benellis (M1, M2) were the ones that got funky when you add weight to the receivers.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I really like shotgun cards also. I use AR500 cards. Theyre only $7 and are/were actually in stock compared to the Esstacs. Seem to hold up very well so far and they fit nicely in common M4 mag pouches as seen here in my Esstac KYWIs.

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 2:49:24 PM EDT
[#19]
That's a slick setup. I think I'm sold on the card idea but ESSTAC is currently sold out. I'll keep an eye on those and try to nab some before my class.

Thanks for all the info and help, guys.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 3:10:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's a slick setup. I think I'm sold on the card idea but ESSTAC is currently sold out. I'll keep an eye on those and try to nab some before my class.

Thanks for all the info and help, guys.
View Quote

Try the AR500 cards suggested earlier.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#21]
In true fashion, I opted for both. Grabbed some ESSTAC cards and a CTS dump pouch.

Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]
A mixture of velcro shot shell cards to top off the side saddle, a couple of the competition style carriers to quickly top off the tube, and the rest poured loose into a GP pocket.

The Eagle 100 round M249 pockets will hold a 25 shot box of shells, box and all.

The 100 round M60 pockets and 200 round M249 pockets have the elastic "lips" that will help retain shells and that is kind of nice.

I wouldn't put shells on a dangler pouch, they'll slap you in the baby maker any time you run.

Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
A mixture of velcro shot shell cards to top off the side saddle, a couple of the competition style carriers to quickly top off the tube, and the rest poured loose into a GP pocket.

The Eagle 100 round M249 pockets will hold a 25 shot box of shells, box and all.

The 100 round M60 pockets and 200 round M249 pockets have the elastic "lips" that will help retain shells and that is kind of nice.

I wouldn't put shells on a dangler pouch, they'll slap you in the baby maker any time you run.

View Quote

Was my thoughts on the fanny pack option
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I love shotgun cards on both the receiver and the stock and in mag pouches, but any pouch with loose shells is a BIG additional plus to me.
Any human with moderate dexterity can and will flip a shell work wise without thinking before it comes from the pouch to the loading point. With very little practice.
So I say both/all. One immediate, one if the 1st option is dry.
This has bagged me a few farther out running coyotes over the years and I won't be without the option.
The thing about real use shotguns is there may need to be a variety of ammo on hand to select from ie hard slugs, buckshot, "current best coyote shot", birdshot for the big snake in the yard. Options that let you tote that variety are always a good thing.
So, cards.... and a pouch, multiple ammo options,  is where I fall on the "get up in the night with a 12 ga. because my dog is aggitated". Skunk, javelina, mountain lion wanting to kill my dogs, feeding mule deer, bobcat, neighbors Bull, neighbors steers or cows just moseying around, kids pretending to be big city gangbangers, kids being legit heroin selling gangbangers, with a light I'm good for all of those.
Extra shotgun ammo on the belt along with a pistol, ammo, handheld light, fixed blade. It's not that hard or expensive to be able to deal with a wide range of threats in the dark.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#25]
21rd shotgun placard with a Velcro side saddle and spares seems like the way to go

https://hrttacticalgear.com/product/hrt-shotgun-placard/
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a Maxpedition RollyPoly MM on my training belt just in front of my support side hip, and it worked perfectly at a Rob Haught Shotgun class last fall.
Maxpedition is currently selling them on their site at 2 for the price of 1, but the only colors left are black and tan.

Jay
View Quote

I use one too, you can set the bungee to tighten the mouth up for better retention and still pull shells. I use it bird hunting as well. You can get them in different sizes and use em for water bottles and other gear, even small game bags...
Link Posted: 10/10/2020 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#27]
You should know how to reload from a side saddle/card AND from a pouch.  I use the pouch to top the gun off when the need for fresh ammo isnt that pressing OR the ammo on the card isnt whats needed. Basically the saddle/card is my "emergency" reload while the pouch/pocket is my "tactical" reload.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Use a dump pouch for your birdshot or buck shells for the class, and a side saddle or cards for slugs.  

I've used a 5.11 folding (rolling?) dump pouch for a number of years in 3 gun.  It works pretty well.  

the biggest problem is you want the shells facing all the same way for ease of indexing while loading, but good luck arranging 25+ shells all pointed the same way on your body.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 10:25:55 AM EDT
[#29]
All good points and thanks for the suggestions.

I mounted the ESSTAC cards on my M4 and tried reloading drills over 75 rounds the other night. It's tricky . I also have orders for a couple of dump pouches to try out and am hoping that those will be in before my class.
Link Posted: 10/14/2020 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Lots of good advice. A dump pouch with cards is a great combo.

SOE micro rig ftw though
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a total card convert. I ran both and it was super slick running a 7 shot card on the side of my receiver and another on my belt. I used a fudd-esq trap pouch for extra shells since nothing arrived in time but it worked great as well. I think a small dump pouch plus a few cards is the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:46:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Placeholder
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm a total card convert. I ran both and it was super slick running a 7 shot card on the side of my receiver and another on my belt. I used a fudd-esq trap pouch for extra shells since nothing arrived in time but it worked great as well. I think a small dump pouch plus a few cards is the way to go.
View Quote

I'm glad it worked for you. It's my preferred method, anymore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 11:10:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Emdom has a killer looking dump pouch HERE

I've never used it, but own other pouches of theirs. Quality is top-notch!
View Quote

I shoot sporting clays on a rare occasion so don’t have any dedicated gear for it but use my battle belt with emdom dump pouch and it works great.

Had a few fudds ask me what I was wearing, guess the camo spooked them *gasp*
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#35]
-

For 3-Gun I would wear 511s with cargo pockets.

I would put a bunch of shells in my support side pocket lol (to augment my two belt carriers which held 8 shells each)

-
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top