Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2021 4:27:05 AM EDT
Anyone keep their guns in a gun case instead of a safe. I plan on using dry packs that are reusable. Think that's a decent way to prevent rust since all I got is gun cases?
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]
if they dont have indicators they do more harm than good.

Once saturated they just retain humidity.

Now if they have indicators and you bake them as needed to reset, then that's a different story. But you have to keep on top of it or it does more harm than good.

The advantage of a safe is you can put a hygrometer in it and see what the actual humidity is.

I run a heavy duty dehumidifier in the room my safe is in so I can maintain 25-30 humidity.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Good points.  Humidity that low can cause problems with wood stocks, but otherwise low is good.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#3]
i got large foam cases I keep my AR-15 and Tavor in. I got a Barska Dry pack. Its micro-waveable lol So it does change color as needed
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The VCI emmitters are what I use in soft cases that are storing rifles. Look at zerust
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I like VCI socks.

NICA Shooting is one source.

ETA:  https://www.nicashooting.com/browning-vapor-corrosion-inhibitor-gun-sock/

Vendor is GTG.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top