Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2020 2:34:06 PM EDT
Currently awaiting ATF approval for a 01 FFL (homebased). Business plan is to dropship everything and have zero inventory. I know of Bill Hicks will allow this. Anyone know what other distributors work with home-based FFLs and dropship?
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:43:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't Think Hick's will sell to Home based.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
....Business plan is to dropship everything and have zero inventory....
View Quote

Thats a great business plan.
I wonder why no one else has ever thought of that.

Seriously,
1. Do you have a real business plan?
2. What is your estimated sales per year?
3. How much cash you got on hand?

I'm asking because,
1. Dropshipping by a distributor is for their biggest clients....that you are not.
2. There are 87 hundred guys trying to do the same thing. What makes your business plan different?
3. You are going to have to invest some serious coin to get in a decent pricing tier and get dropshipping.....you got that?
4. How much research on the firearms industry have you done? This aint exactly the best business climate for a new guy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Hicks will sell to home-based. They also dropship
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 10:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seriously,

I'm asking because,
1. Dropshipping by a distributor is for their biggest clients....that you are not.
2. There are 87 hundred guys trying to do the same thing. What makes your business plan different?
3. You are going to have to invest some serious coin to get in a decent pricing tier and get dropshipping.....you got that?
4. How much research on the firearms industry have you done? This aint exactly the best business climate for a new guy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
....Business plan is to dropship everything and have zero inventory....

Seriously,

I'm asking because,
Simple business plan. Dropship. No clue what my sales will be, frankly dont really care just as long as i make a dollar im happy. This is a hobby not a career.
Not sure if you understand dropshipping but you dont need any cash on hand to put towards the purchase of product.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hicks will sell to home-based. They also dropship
View Quote
I see you have thoroughly research this. Good luck.

To become a dealer with Bill Hicks & Co., Ltd you must meet the following requirements:

1.   All dealers must have a storefront and submit photos showing your store interior, exterior and signage.

http://www.billhicksco.com/storefrontCommerce/redirect.do?page=zdealer
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

To become a dealer with Bill Hicks & Co., Ltd you must meet the following requirements:

1.   All dealers must have a storefront and submit photos showing your store interior, exterior and signage.

View Quote
I called them. They said otherwise.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hicks won't sell to me, I have been trying for a while now and they say, nope..
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 12:10:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hicks won't sell to me, I have been trying for a while now and they say, nope..
View Quote
Interesting, What is their reasoning behind not selling to you?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Simple business plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Simple business plan.
No, you have no business plan.....you are winging it.

Dropship. No clue what my sales will be, frankly dont really care just as long as i make a dollar im happy. This is a hobby not a career.
Hobby? Better not mention that to the IOI. ATF makes it damn clear that an FFL is for engaging in the business of dealing in firearms. Side gig, fine. Part time, fine. Career, not required. Hobby, big fat NOPE. And you might want to research why calling it a "hobby" can cost you $$$.

Not sure if you understand dropshipping but you dont need any cash on hand to put towards the purchase of product.  
Um, yeah. I've been in business almost twelve years and have used dropshipping myself. I've also seen dozens of wannabe FFL's lose money because they didn't understand the business. So far you are making the same mistakes they did.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, you have no business plan.....you are winging it.

Hobby? Better not mention that to the IOI. ATF makes it damn clear that an FFL is for engaging in the business of dealing in firearms. Side gig, fine. Part time, fine. Career, not required. Hobby, big fat NOPE. And you might want to research why calling it a "hobby" can cost you $$$.

Um, yeah. I've been in business almost twelve years and have used dropshipping myself. I've also seen dozens of wannabe FFL's lose money because they didn't understand the business. So far you are making the same mistakes they did.
View Quote
Yep 100% winging it. If you wanna get technical then its a side gig. The only money I risk loosing is the money ive put towards creating the business. Which is not much.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Why are you going through the process of getting an FFL if everything is going to be drop shipped?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Why are you going through the process of getting an FFL if everything is going to be drop shipped?
View Quote
Even if you drop ship every firearm you sell and you never put a gun on the books because it was never physically in your inventory, ATF says you need an FFL for that business activity.  The flow of money is just as important as the flow of firearms.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Even if you drop ship every firearm you sell
View Quote
Huh?

Federal Laws change and nobody told me?
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Just fyi but the reason why transfer fees are skyrocketing and small shops folding is because of drop shipping home guys who's happy to make a couple bucks in selling dozens of firearms.   It's a race to the bottom of the barrel and many drop ship guys are already selling under cost in hopes they make a few bucks when they hit stocking quotas (buy 9 x $1,000 guns and get one $1,000 gun free, so they market them at 925 each (under dealer cost) to walk home a profit of 250 bucks after selling 10 firearms at a loss).
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:18:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just fyi but the reason why transfer fees are skyrocketing and small shops folding is because of drop shipping home guys who's happy to make a couple bucks in selling dozens of firearms.   It's a race to the bottom of the barrel and many drop ship guys are already selling under cost in hopes they make a few bucks when they hit stocking quotas (buy 9 x $1,000 guns and get one $1,000 gun free, so they market them at 925 each (under dealer cost) to walk home a profit of 250 bucks after selling 10 firearms at a loss).
View Quote
Capitalism, aint she a bitch.

Apparently you haven't paid attention to the big shops, like Bud's and Palmetto that have been doing the same thing for over a decade.
Any small shop put out of business by a home based dealer probably wasn't much to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Huh?

Federal Laws change and nobody told me?
View Quote
I give you ATF Procedure 75-3:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/atf-proc-75-3-recordkeeping-drop-shipments
Oh and 75 = 1975.  Back then sales were mail/catalog order and not online.  ATF wasn't gonna let anyone sling guns as a business w/o a license even if the middleman never took physical possession.

The more you know...
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I give you ATF Procedure 75-3:
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/atf-proc-75-3-recordkeeping-drop-shipments
Oh and 75 = 1975.  Back then sales were mail/catalog order and not online.  ATF wasn't gonna let anyone sling guns as a business w/o a license even if the middleman never took physical possession.

The more you know...
View Quote
First paragraph:

This ATF Procedure sets forth the recordkeeping procedures for "drop shipments" of firearms ( other than National Firearms Act firearms as defined in section 5845(a) of Chapter
53, Title 26, U.S.C.) and ammunition between federally licensed firearms dealers, importers, and manufacturers.

OP said he was going to be a home based dealer, thus implying (to me) he would be selling firearms to non-FFLs, you know like most dealers do. My bad if he is only selling to other FFLs. I thought he was going to drop-ship to non-FFLs.

So to sum up, he is going to buy from Bill Hicks, sell only to other FFLs via drop-ship, all while doing this faster and cheaper than if the other FFLs just bought it from Bill Hicks themselves.

This plan is so brilliant I hope it is submitted to the Harvard Business Review.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:46:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Im not buying anything.

Customer buys the firearm from my website. That firearm is then sourced from distributors and shipped to the customers local FFL for pickup.
Im basically taking the customers money, giving it to XYZ distributor and saying ship ABC gun to his local FFL.

Not sure how yall think thats such a horrible idea. Yes there are others doing the same thing, some successful and some not. My goal is to run this as efficiently as I can and make some profit. Its not difficult to sell something, its difficult to market and sell something to a specific audience for a profit that is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Im not buying anything.

Customer buys the firearm from my website. That firearm is then sourced from distributors and shipped to the customers local FFL for pickup.
Im basically taking the customers money, giving it to XYZ distributor and saying ship ABC gun to his local FFL.
View Quote
If the customer paid you for the gun, you sold it to the customer.  Doesn't matter that you used the customer's money to buy it from a distributor so it could be shipped elsewhere for transfer, you still bought it.  Otherwise how would you expense it for your taxes?

We all understand how drop-shipping works.  There are multiple services that have been set up for years to let FFL's integrate it into a web site, such as GearFire and AmmoReady.  The services will hook up with the distributors inventory control systems.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Im not buying anything.

Not sure how yall think thats such a horrible idea. Yes there are others doing the same thing, some successful and some not. My goal is to run this as efficiently as I can and make some profit. Its not difficult to sell something, its difficult to market and sell something to a specific audience for a profit that is worth it.
View Quote
Yep, just another guy getting in the business to enhance his personal collection.

What you will very quickly realize is that you will not be able to compete with the online mega, drop ship stores; they will sell cheaper than your cost.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Im not buying anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Im not buying anything.
Every gun you order from a distributor YOU bought.

Quoted:
As @bubbles points out there is a lot of work involved that will get in the way of efficiency - A&D entries, sales tax, collecting all those FFLs, web site/e-commerce creation, tracking they actually were drop shipped, etc.

Quoted:
It is a great idea. If actually worked, many of us would do it.  99% of online gun customers will price check you against Buds, PSA ,etc (I price check my Distributors against Buds), and you will lose the sale 99% of the time on price. So yeah, actually it is difficult to sell something. The biggest part of the puzzle you are missing right now, is your cost of the gun, before expenses.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Oh it does work and there are guys who make it work but it's not a "set and forget" system.  IIRC both services have had problems in the past where the stock levels at the various distributors show in-stock when they are sold out.  At best you end up with a reputation as a slow/non-shipper.  At worst you get a banic where everyone places an order at your site because items show in-stock at the distributor, and when the guns don't ship you either get hit with CC chargebacks or refund requests, and the CC company dings you both coming and going for the transaction fees, plus the chargeback fee if you don't refund.  One school shooting under a Dem presidency can put you in the hole real quick.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:06:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yep 100% winging it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:55:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oh it does work and there are guys who make it work but it's not a "set and forget" system.  IIRC both services have had problems in the past where the stock levels at the various distributors show in-stock when they are sold out.  At best you end up with a reputation as a slow/non-shipper.  At worst you get a banic where everyone places an order at your site because items show in-stock at the distributor, and when the guns don't ship you either get hit with CC chargebacks or refund requests, and the CC company dings you both coming and going for the transaction fees, plus the chargeback fee if you don't refund.  One school shooting under a Dem presidency can put you in the hole real quick.
View Quote
I do not believe a single person working from their home as a hobby (his words) and not risking much money (his words) can make this "work".

Cant wait to see his website/pricing/allocation.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Currently awaiting ATF approval for a 01 FFL (homebased). Business plan is to dropship everything and have zero inventory. I know of Bill Hicks will allow this. Anyone know what other distributors work with home-based FFLs and dropship?
View Quote

I'm a new FFl as of February and the dropshipping deal will only work if you have a huge amount of cash to drop to get the pricing down. buds sells guns for less than I can order them for and as you'll find out the VAST majority of guys will cut you to the bone when they try to get you to order something. Used guns I am doing fine on. I got into this to bring in some extra cash and I am bringing it in, you just have to not waste time with tire kickers. good luck.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Well, just a note based on chatter from elsewhere... drop-shipping ain't working thanks to the CV19 demand spike.  You want a gun, you have to call the distributor and talk to a live person to see if they have it, and they want ACH payment RFN when you order.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#27]
what is a "huge amount of cash"?

and are the distributors asking for this in order to get the pricing down? What does the cash go towards? Inventory? Ive got no idea how it works yet obviously.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#28]
It is what it is. I'll try to make a profit to supplement my income and if it fails it fails....no sweat off my back.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You want a gun, you have to call the distributor and talk to a live person to see if they have it, and they want ACH payment RFN when you order.
View Quote
Zanders is in Illinois.  IL Gov. Pritzker named firearms and ammunition suppliers essential businesses during the coronavirus outbreak. Zanders is conducting normal business hours.

I placed an order online for a couple of handguns yesterday.  Just for S&G, I called today to make sure there were no issues.  Was told everything fine, order was in process, but shipping was about a week behind.
Link Posted: 3/24/2020 8:00:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
what is a "huge amount of cash"?

and are the distributors asking for this in order to get the pricing down? What does the cash go towards? Inventory? Ive got no idea how it works yet obviously.
View Quote

The more items you buy, the cheaper they are. Free shipping, buy 5 get 1 free, dealer promos etc. If you buy 1 gun, you are gonna pay shipping on it. Buy 2 or 3 and they ship for free.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Im not buying anything.
View Quote

Then how are you selling something you don't have/own ? Pretty sure there's Laws against that...

In order to do what you're insinuating, you'll need to "INVEST" or place a very large deposit with a distributor / manufacturer to secure "allocations" (stuff you can buy, once they get it) and get better pricing.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 to 7 figures, depending on the amount of allocations you want access to. Have you really talked to anyone about this ?

Do you really think you're getting the responses you are because the rest of us are trying to start our own "drop-shipping FFL"... Or that we don't want to see you succeed ?

Good luck !
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:23:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Then how are you selling something you don't have/own ? Pretty sure there's Laws against that...

In order to do what you're insinuating, you'll need to "INVEST" or place a very large deposit with a distributor / manufacturer to secure "allocations" (stuff you can buy, once they get it) and get better pricing.

Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 to 7 figures, depending on the amount of allocations you want access to. Have you really talked to anyone about this ?

Do you really think you're getting the responses you are because the rest of us are trying to start our own "drop-shipping FFL"... Or that we don't want to see you succeed ?

Good luck !
View Quote

If you have any idea how dropshipping works you should know that you arent investing anything into product. Buy more at once from distributor, get a better deal or discounts? Sure. But you dont have to invest anything to work with them using a dropshipping model or something similar.

Yeah its difficult, especially with covid gong on. Its not impossible, and it does not require you to have on hand inventory and it doesnt require you to make a large deposit or invest to get product.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 1:43:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

If you have any idea how dropshipping works you should know that you arent investing anything into product. Buy more at once from distributor, get a better deal or discounts? Sure. But you dont have to invest anything to work with them using a dropshipping model or something similar.

Yeah its difficult, especially with covid gong on. Its not impossible, and it does not require you to have on hand inventory and it doesnt require you to make a large deposit or invest to get product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck !

Well, when you realize your customer can buy that same gun for cheaper you'll understand. You're gonna have to pay shipping and your customer is gonna pay a transfer fee. So your margin likely just disappeared.
   I have customers coming to me who say can you sell me this gun at this price because so and so can, no I can't because I don't do the volume they do, they are offering to sell it to you for below what I can buy it for.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Says the guy who has never been a gun dealer or held an FFL.
You giving advice with zero experience, no FFL and no business plan is meme worthy.

It's one thing to be a new FFL. But my gosh, don't be a dumbass.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I work for one of the larger firearm distributors.  We sell to anyone with an FFL.  Drop shipping has become a huge deal in the firearm industry over the last few years.  We provide our inventory feed to dealers and they can connect our feed to their website.  There are several companies that will provide you the service of connecting inventory feeds to your website.  Ammoready.com will not only connect you they will build your website and allow you to pull inventory feeds from I believe 5 different distributors.  Gearfire is another one.  MOst of my customers seem to really like Ammoready due to the ease of use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top