Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2019 2:12:31 PM EDT
Found this at the antique fair on Sunday,  is it a Dragoon?

I have Mosin's but never one with sights like this.  I'll snap some better pics when I get back home,  had to run off to to work after scoring it.  thanks

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep!
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep!
View Quote
Thanks. I keep reading about converted Dragoons, can you tell from the pics I've posted if it has been converted?

And FWIW I can find no import marks.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks. I keep reading about converted Dragoons, can you tell from the pics I've posted if it has been converted?
View Quote
It has not.  Converted Dragoons had their front and rear sights replaced with M91/30-style sights, with a flat rear and post-in-globe front:

Your sights have not been converted.  And it appears to have retained its original Dragoon barrel bands too, which were sometimes replaced with M91/30 barrel bands along the way.  However, your Dragoon does have a M91/30 handguard instead of an original Dragoon handguard.  Original Dragoon handguards, which partially wrap around the rear sight base, are uncommon these days, even on otherwise unconverted Dragoons:

Altogether, a great score.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It has not.  Converted Dragoons had their front and rear sights replaced with M91/30-style sights, with a flat rear and post-in-globe front:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1708/6289/files/M9130-Rear-Sight_large.jpg?v=1544194993
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/rjEAAOSwp5JWX6HL/s-l640.jpg

Your sights have not been converted.  And it appears to have retained its original Dragoon barrel bands too, which were sometimes replaced with M91/30 barrel bands along the way.  However, your Dragoon does have a M91/30 handguard instead of an original Dragoon handguard.  Original Dragoon handguards, which partially wrap around the rear sight base, are uncommon these days, even on otherwise unconverted Dragoons:

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant.com/russia_m1891/400px-M91features_1001_%282%29.jpg

Altogether, a great score.
View Quote
Thanks,. I need to try to find it again,. But I think I read somewhere an hour or so ago that the 1930's produced Dragoons did not have the original style Dragoon HG?
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 10:32:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Some Samco imports, I don't know how many, had the import marks engraved on the barrel underneath the handguard.  I often wonder if some C&Rs advertised as bringbacks or without import marks are actually imported by Samco.  After all, who would think to remove the handguard and look underneath it?
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 2:41:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some Samco imports, I don't know how many, had the import marks engraved on the barrel underneath the handguard.  I often wonder if some C&Rs advertised as bringbacks or without import marks are actually imported by Samco.  After all, who would think to remove the handguard and look underneath it?
View Quote
Thanks, just got home and pulled the stock...no import marks evident.
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#9]
That was a nice find. Some older imports were stamped really lightly at the muzzle. Import mark or not it is a nice score
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#10]
i've hit it hard with a loop thinking the same thing...

Did any Mosins come in pre 68 via importers and not bringbacks
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 10:07:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i've hit it hard with a loop thinking the same thing...

Did any Mosins come in pre 68 via importers and not bringbacks
View Quote
Yeah, Interarms brought in a bunch of Mosin's from Spain, leftovers from their civil war. If yours isn't SA marked I would hazard a guess that is where yours came from.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
That's a very nice late dated Dragoon that most Mosin collectors(like me) would love to find, especially a Tula since Tula didn't make nearly as many Dragoons and Izhevsk did. Don't worry about the stock and hand guard, its correct for a 1930 made Dragoon. The Soviets started making M91/30's in 1930 while continuing to make Dragoons until about 1932 but they only used the M91/30 stock and hand guard at the time so that set up is correct for your rifle. Non import marked Dragoons are usually either early Finnish imports or Spanish Civil War imports, a handful also came back from Japan after WW2 as G.I. bring backs but 1930 is too late a date for one of those. Since your rifle still has it's original "barleycorn" front sight I'd say its almost certainly a Spanish import, the Finn's replaced the front sight on most M91's and Dragoons that passed through their arsenals.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Thank you, I was very happy to find it.  Guy at the antique fair  wanted 150 for it and said he wouldn't take a penny less... I didn't hesitate even not knowing exactly what variation it was.
Link Posted: 11/8/2019 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell, buck and a half for even a run of the mill 91/30 is a decent price these days! Good score!
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 9:13:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thank you, I was very happy to find it.  Guy at the antique fair  wanted 150 for it and said he wouldn't take a penny less... I didn't hesitate even not knowing exactly what variation it was.
View Quote
Great deal.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2019 10:17:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great deal.  
View Quote
Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
A great deal and in great condition.  I'm jealous...mine isn't nearly as nice and has converted sights.
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Old thread, but I been busy...
OK, the vast majority of the SCW Mosins imported here had "Made In Russia" stamped on them somewhere. While it was pre 68 and the importers did not have to stamp a name on it, they were supposed to stamp country of manufacture on it, and mostly did. Perhaps this one got missed. I can absolutely see Russia dumping these on Spain and saving the trouble of modifying it. The Russians dumped all kinds of old, crappy, unserviceable or otherwise "nuisance" guns into Spain.
You got one with no stampings of any kind other than factory original...congratulate yourself. You just got a primo collectors' piece that a lot of people would pay a LOT of money for.

BTW, I think that it has a Polish M44? sling on it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 2:54:25 PM EDT
[#19]
likely right on the sling
Link Posted: 12/27/2019 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Do the numbers match? If they do not, it is highly likely a Spanish used rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top