Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2020 8:51:25 PM EDT
Looks like the previous thread I’d started got archived, but you can read through it here; https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ironside-Edgeworks-Mestiso-Hybrid-Karambit-Pikal-Combative-Knife-and-Buyer-s-Review/4-501771/

Shortly after receiving my completed one-off custom Karambit-Pikal hybrid from Gavin at Ironside Edgeworks, I began talks with him on a companion blade and trainer set. We’ve gone back and forth with ideas for a little while and Gavin had a bit of a backlog to get through after the lockdowns in South Africa, but he’s coming up on my blade in his queue and sent me this concept sketch of the design:

This blade is clearly a push dagger with a classic double-edged spearpoint blade (no need to get fancy with the edge geometry on a punching knife), while the handle will be ergonomically molded to fit the hand and will include the same handle construction as the Mestiso, using copper liners, carbon fiber handle fixtures, genuine ray skin samegawa, and black silk for the tsukamaki handle wrap. This second blade will also come as a set with a duplicate trainer like the first design. I’m getting excited, and I’ll make sure to post updates here as I get them!

For more info on Ironside Edgeworks, to look at Gavin’s other blades, or to order one of his masterpieces for yourself, head over to his website at https://ironsideedgeworks.com/
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:26:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like Gavin got a shipment of the materials he was waiting on so there should be more than a sketch for this second blade soon!
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Bump to avoid archiving...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2020 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the first one!

Custom knives are the best.
View Quote

Thanks! That was a knife I’d been looking to buy for years but never found anyone making one with all the right features and construction. Finally decided to go the custom route and Gavin was definitely the right bladesmith for the job
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 6:20:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Anti-archiving bump...(Sorry)
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I had looked at Ironside Edgeworks and placed an order after seeing this thread.  I would love to see a picture of the custom push dagger once it is complete.  Great design!
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had looked at Ironside Edgeworks and placed an order after seeing this thread.  I would love to see a picture of the custom push dagger once it is complete.  Great design!
View Quote

You won’t be disappointed, it’s a bit of a wait but well worth it for the quality you get!

Gavin’s working some test pieces in scrap metal for the basic handle/blade shape now, should be getting to the actual knife and trainer shortly. I’ll post pics as I get them!
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 1:03:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds great, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Heard from Gavin, sounds like the new knife will be finished by the end of February!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet!

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Another anti-archiving bump. Should be hearing more from Gavin shortly and will have pictures to share soon as well. Unfortunately even once the blade is finished it will be another month or so of just shipping time getting from South Africa all the way over to cold Colorado, so I’ll have to survive on pics for a little while after completion. I’ve been playing with my first IE trainer a lot more lately in anticipation of getting my second functional masterpiece in hand. A long wait but I already know it’ll be definitively well worth it in the end!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 11:35:02 PM EDT
[#12]
...Bump...
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 6:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Hopefully some pictures this week. Sounds like the current issue is shipping problems out of SA. Hopefully something better to share shortly though!
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I got pictures of the new hotness! ?? It’s even better than I expected and my expectations were quite lofty. Just waiting for permission and I’ll post up what’s been sent
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:03:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Here’s a picture of the steel without the finished handle while those materials cure. I was also sent a video I’m unfortunately unable to post but it shows the way the blade is ground - the dagger is still double edged, it’s got diagonally opposed chisel grinds or a “double asymmetric” blade profile as Gavin says, coming together to a point at the tip. As it was explained Gavin settled on this design during some preliminary testing to have reinforced edges and a beefier tip for stabbing. His assessment is that the design will penetrate bones without issue. The blade and trainer should be all wrapped up relatively shortly, then it’s just a matter of waiting on shipping. Progress!
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 12:38:46 PM EDT
[#16]

And now with the finished handle! I can’t honestly think of anything to say beyond that it looks absolutely perfect. In particular the little extra detail of the carbon fiber piece where the blade stems out from the handle, it’s just beautiful. You can also see how this side of the blade has the opposite edge ground. And a somewhat blurry screenshot from the video that shows how the two edges come together to form the point:

I’m absolutely ecstatic!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:32:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Wow!  Now that is both a practical tool and an art object!  Thanks for posting!
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Can’t imbed but here’s a link to a video with more detail on Gavin’s IG account:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQOf3djDQwI/?utm_medium=copy_link
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Another video featuring the live blade and the accompanying duplicate trainer (the first training blade featured is not mine):

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CQQ1vpDjasC/?utm_medium=copy_link
Link Posted: 6/22/2021 4:16:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Test video from Gavin on some spare cardboard:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQbVdYqjij3/?utm_medium=copy_link

That’ll do very nicely
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#21]

Got a package in the mail today!

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:26:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Congratulations!  Beautiful knives!
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Congratulations!  Beautiful knives!
View Quote

Thank you! I’m very pleased with how it turned out, it fits excellently in the hand and points extremely naturally
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 10:10:41 PM EDT
[#25]
The new push dagger and trainer are phenomenal. The fit and finish is exacting, the size and ergonomics fill my hand perfectly, good weight without feeling overly bulky. I may do some testing on a pork loin at some point just to get a feel for how the blade pierces meat, but all my inspection and initial manipulations are telling me the pair are as excellent as the original Karambit-Pikal blade. I’ll have to experiment some with various carry/attachment methods on the sheaths to see how best to schlep it, but absolutely overjoyed with how it turned out so far!
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top