Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/14/2021 12:52:01 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:54:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Are there details or backstory on this ammo?
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:06:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are there details or backstory on this ammo?
View Quote

Hornady frontier. But for fitty cals.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 1:09:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#4]
We had 4 or 5000 rds at Barrett long ago. Some summer help was brought in just to pull it down. Destroyed the shoulder of the brass with a hammer, oiled the powder and tossed the projectiles.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
That's some ugly ammo!
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:49:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I asked for and was given one round by a friend.  Just to keep as a sample.  The yellow paint is half scratched off, the brass itself looks weird...  

I don’t even know if the components themselves are truly usable.

Brass: Known to split easily.  Weird “flow” to the brass.  Odd lengths and primer pockets.  Sometimes you’ll line up a bunch and the shoulders are notably different.  Case necks might not be straight.

Powder:  Irredeemable.

Primers:  May be in a bad primer pocket.  Some don’t fire and others fire as of BMG “magnum” primers are a thing.

Projectile:  Multiple different grain weights.  AP, so may be an issue shooting at some ranges.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:27:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Some of the projectiles we pulled had loose cores inside the jackets. You could shake the bullet and feel the core moving around inside the jacket.
Some projectiles had the lead seal at the base , a lot didn't.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:11:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Supposedly it was stored in a location where it became damp, then tarnished, and was tumbled long enough to not only clean it up nice and pretty, but also break the powder down into smaller kernels, thus changing the burn rate. The tips were repainted, and it was shipped to the US where it proceeded to blow up a few guns.

Lucky me, I just got 20 or 30 rounds of it in a large lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 1:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top