Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2024 4:28:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Whiskey1Alpha]
Talk me out of this.

I have 2x Rockchuckers that I have had for years now. I have a Dillon 650 for more 'bulk' type ammo (yes I know people load precision ammo on it; not looking to argue about that).

Everything else I have is basically the Gucci version of that item like the AMP Annealer with the robot or the Pharma scale with the autotrickler.

The way I am looking at this is that while the Rockchuckers well, work, I can measure variable tolerances in the brass when using them. Hell, there's a variable tolerance between the 2. I also absolutely loathe setting up a die perfectly, only to then have to change it out again and restart the process to see if I can hit that EXACT same spot again. I've been doing this for years and I am done wasting time doing it.

So enter the 419 press. Allegedly, it has basically zero movement and allows you to put 9 dies into it to use individually. From my thought process, this gives me 2x Rockchuckers do put a universal decapper and something else into for utility, and then set up a a comparator die and then sizing/seating dies for 4 calibers that I have a specific recipe/formula for and be done with it basically forever short of changing something.

Other than the price, why shouldn't I get this?

Update:

Brownells's had that 15% of sale and that was all it took for me to say fuck it, lets do this.

Just got here but it's still in the box as the low Inline Fab mount for it is still in the mail.

Picking the box up really made you appreciate this thing. Weighs like 35+ lbs.

Opened it and its massive and well built. My only gripe is that they probably could have knocked 100$ off the price if they didn't try and make the box/presentation YouTube worthy, which may have been their intent, but for someone like me, I'll never look at/use this box ever again.

I'm annoyed that my mount won't be here until Monday :(
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Don’t own one

All the opinions on it look positive

If you think it will help, go for it.

Before I dropped $1200 plus on that press, I would try these first

Hornday lock and load bushing for the rock chucker
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Redding Turret with several  Ceedmoor Sports Heads.

I have been back and forth on the 419. I have just about talked myself into it. I have about 70 sets of premium brand dies so I fiqure why not.

I had a 650 but sold it and bought a 750. (the only reloading stuff I have ever sold)I also have a couple SDB. I recently bought an X10 but have not used it yet

I have a few various single stages I use on occasion from a co-ax to a LEE the cheapest one they made. It was 9.95 a few years ago for their anniversery.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:54:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#4]
Originally Posted By Whiskey1Alpha:
Talk me out of this.

I have 2x Rockchuckers that I have had for years now. I have a Dillon 650 for more 'bulk' type ammo (yes I know people load precision ammo on it; not looking to argue about that).

Everything else I have is basically the Gucci version of that item like the AMP Annealer with the robot or the Pharma scale with the autotrickler.

The way I am looking at this is that while the Rockchuckers well, work, I can measure variable tolerances in the brass when using them. Hell, there's a variable tolerance between the 2. I also absolutely loathe setting up a die perfectly, only to then have to change it out again and restart the process to see if I can hit that EXACT same spot again. I've been doing this for years and I am done wasting time doing it.

So enter the 419 press. Allegedly, it has basically zero movement and allows you to put 9 dies into it to use individually. From my thought process, this gives me 2x Rockchuckers do put a universal decapper and something else into for utility, and then set up a a comparator die and then sizing/seating dies for 4 calibers that I have a specific recipe/formula for and be done with it basically forever short of changing something.

Other than the price, why shouldn't I get this?
View Quote

I just bought one and set it up. I share the Gucci complex and have upgraded almost all my gear, not because I think the ammo is noticeably better, but I do like the ability to to set up a turret and leave it. I previously used a Co-Ax but it couldn't handle the taller magnum dies. My initial impression is the Zero is solid, no movement at all. I have one turret set up for decapping and 6BR, .260R and 300PRC, but have only done decapping and full-length resizing. I'm using the SAC dies with a bushing and mandrel and so far, the shoulder bump is consistent and there's little to no runout on the necks. I hope to pump out some 300PRC this weekend.

OP - I have an AMP but not the auto feed, any drawbacks with yours?

Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I also hate die setup/tweaking and will spend money to avoid it as much as possible.
I have a Redding T7 that is use in much the same way; I have misc stuff on it:  bullet puller, universal decapper, and then sizing and seating for larger rifle calibers that I do in low quantity.

I know there is some flex in it based on the stroke when sizing a 308 or 6.5 creed:  If I run the handle with no case present, the shell holder definitely touches the bottom of the die and there is some cam-over felt.
Actually sizing a case, when it is run all the way to the end of the handle travel, if I put a powerful light behind the shell holder, I can see a very small sliver of light, probably no more than a couple thou, but its there.

How much does this impact consistency of my sizing, I don't know, as I don't have any similar or single stage press to compare it to.

Personally, for me to spend $1200 on an Area 419 press, I'd have to 1) be convinced it would actually be putting out more consistent brass than my Redding, and 2) that difference would lead to a difference in my shooting.

Maybe it would, I don't know, (never looked into it) but I do know for sure a T7 is a whole lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ARMALITE-FAN:
I have a Redding Turret with several  Ceedmoor Sports Heads.

I have been back and forth on the 419. I have just about talked myself into it. I have about 70 sets of premium brand dies so I fiqure why not.

I had a 650 but sold it and bought a 750. (the only reloading stuff I have ever sold)I also have a couple SDB. I recently bought an X10 but have not used it yet

I have a few various single stages I use on occasion from a co-ax to a LEE the cheapest one they made. It was 9.95 a few years ago for their anniversery.
View Quote

The last thing I'd want to do is talk anyone out a a new toy, but I'm not sure what you'd gain over the T-7, especially with the creedmoor turrets. The T-7 has a little slop, but adding the creedmoor turrets and precision kit makes it really consistent and repeatable. I will say the biggest difference with the Zero and my Co-Ax and T-7 is that is has no cam-over.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t believe i’ve ever seen a bad word said about anything area 419.

So if it fits your needs why not.

It sounds like u already own all the cool things id put before it
so i say buy and review it for us…..
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 6:59:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out Short Actions Customs new press...
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:16:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Defender3:

I just bought one and set it up. I share the Gucci complex and have upgraded almost all my gear, not because I think the ammo is noticeably better, but I do like the ability to to set up a turret and leave it. I previously used a Co-Ax but it couldn't handle the taller magnum dies. My initial impression is the Zero is solid, no movement at all. I have one turret set up for decapping and 6BR, .260R and 300PRC, but have only done decapping and full-length resizing. I'm using the SAC dies with a bushing and mandrel and so far, the shoulder bump is consistent and there's little to no runout on the necks. I hope to pump out some 300PRC this weekend.

OP - I have an AMP but not the auto feed, any drawbacks with yours?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG_0768-3206409.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG_0704-3201053.jpg
View Quote

The first time setup is a little weird and takes some getting used to kind of like a Dillon, but once you're past that, its the same thing every time.

I sit at my desk in the reloading room after putting in the Aztec code and the Dillon casefeeder just keeps feeding it brass. All I hear is the cases drop, robot noises, the lights flicker for a second (lol) and then a clang in my metal catch tray. Rinse/repeat until the AMP takes a break and turns all of its fans on and then its back to business.

I did 100 cases by hand through the AMP and instantly bought the robot. Worth it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:
I also hate die setup/tweaking and will spend money to avoid it as much as possible.
I have a Redding T7 that is use in much the same way; I have misc stuff on it:  bullet puller, universal decapper, and then sizing and seating for larger rifle calibers that I do in low quantity.

I know there is some flex in it based on the stroke when sizing a 308 or 6.5 creed:  If I run the handle with no case present, the shell holder definitely touches the bottom of the die and there is some cam-over felt.
Actually sizing a case, when it is run all the way to the end of the handle travel, if I put a powerful light behind the shell holder, I can see a very small sliver of light, probably no more than a couple thou, but its there.

How much does this impact consistency of my sizing, I don't know, as I don't have any similar or single stage press to compare it to.

Personally, for me to spend $1200 on an Area 419 press, I'd have to 1) be convinced it would actually be putting out more consistent brass than my Redding, and 2) that difference would lead to a difference in my shooting.

Maybe it would, I don't know, (never looked into it) but I do know for sure a T7 is a whole lot cheaper.
View Quote

I agree. I looked at the Redding as well.

Basically I came to a conclusion that this was the last press that I will ever buy so I'm not going to take any shortcuts.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By bowmanch:
Don’t own one

View Quote

Hornady bushing suck get the Lee
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I gave away my T7 to an employee and replace it with the Area 419 Zero press. I was feeling like the T7 had a little too much slop and I could feel the turret flex so I lost confidence in it.

The Zero has been fantastic, quality purchase, and absolutely no flex!
Link Posted: 5/28/2024 12:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#13]
Originally Posted By Normlizer:

Hornady bushing suck get the Lee
View Quote

Yeah I’m the last guy to talk someone out of a new toy, but I use Lee press along with Redding precision shell plates and bushing dies to produce ammo that groups in the .2”-.3” range.

The precision shell plates virtually eliminate any press slop, as your die is always set to bottom out, and any adjustments you need to make for headspace are done via changing shell plates.

ETA I went down the high end press rabbit hole for a while due to some of the issues you describe. The precision shell plates solved all of them, and are much more cost effective.
Link Posted: 5/29/2024 2:20:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3one5] [#14]
Originally Posted By bowmanch:
Don’t own one

View Quote

I've been looking at the Hornady or Lee conversion kit.  Anyone know if it adds any play into the press?  Or how accurate / repeatable is the system?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top