Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2017 2:22:02 AM EDT
Subject line sez it all.

Coming into my retirement years; should I shoot my NIB-unfired-since-left-factory SWD MAC 11A!/380 now and enjoy, then sell or maybe let kids inherit, or, sell soon as the NIB gun - thus the question; does NIB matter for such a gun given that we're not talking Colt 21A here...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 4:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I would pay a 10 percent premium for NIB
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't because I know I'm going to shoot it plus I'm always looking to pinch pennies but I know ppl who would pay extra for NIB MG, even a mac.

But life is short, imo shoot and enjoy the mac, just keep the box and take really good care of it and buyers will pay a premium for it even if it's technically not NIB
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 11:26:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't speak for the .380, but the 9mm would be worth LESS in my opinion because nobody has debugged the gun... the 86 guns were crap, and NIB guns still have the soft bolts and sears that new owner has to replace.

With the above being said, an investor/collector like you, who does not plan to shoot the gun, might perceive extra value.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure. 30 year old MGs could have tens of thousands of rounds through them, if not hundreds of thousands, and be real beaters. Getting one with a clean slate is worth more to me.

For example, I have a friend with a MG and the BBL has seen 75,000 rounds easy. The BBL is no longer made, cannot be replaced, and shoots 10+ MOA. So sure, a NIB version is worth more than his beater.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
To answer the OP's question:

When an MG is NIB, it sells for around 10% to 25% premium

Is it worth it?

It depends.  A lot of MGs are minty safe queens and haven't seen 1,000 rounds.  That's a better deal than paying 25% extra for NIB.

Also, some NIB guns will need small repairs like bad welds fixed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies!  I know as soon as I got it and started looking it over, discovered the buffer had long dried and shrunk to resemble stale cheddar cheese from the back of the fridge, and the little bit of "factory test fire" wasn't cleaned as well as expected from the nooks and crannies.

Its been ready to shoot for years, but maybe I'll continue to keep it as-is since I don't have to do anything more than store it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sure. 30 year old MGs could have tens of thousands of rounds through them, if not hundreds of thousands, and be real beaters. Getting one with a clean slate is worth more to me.

For example, I have a friend with a MG and the BBL has seen 75,000 rounds easy. The BBL is no longer made, cannot be replaced, and shoots 10+ MOA. So sure, a NIB version is worth more than his beater.
View Quote
any barrel can be remade. it just costs more
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't speak for the .380, but the 9mm would be worth LESS in my opinion because nobody has debugged the gun... the 86 guns were crap, and NIB guns still have the soft bolts and sears that new owner has to replace.

With the above being said, an investor/collector like you, who does not plan to shoot the gun, might perceive extra value.
View Quote
This ^
Link Posted: 12/2/2017 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Subject line sez it all.

Coming into my retirement years; should I shoot my NIB-unfired-since-left-factory SWD MAC 11A!/380 now and enjoy, then sell or maybe let kids inherit, or, sell soon as the NIB gun - thus the question; does NIB matter for such a gun given that we're not talking Colt 21A here...

Thanks!
View Quote
You could just sell it to me. Then you won't have to worry about it
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 2:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Shoot the darned thing.

My M11-9 and M16a1 both came to me NIB. I wore the new off as soon as they were in my possession. I still take care of them and neither has shot over 10K rounds but I got them to shoot if I get the urge.

About the only time I ever get either out of the safe anymore is to let somebody else shoot them that has maybe never shot a MG before. You can take the most anti-gun person you can find, If you can get them to shoot a MG, there is almost a 100% guarantee they will walk away with a smile on their face. MGs make people happy and I like to spread the joy. I mean really, have you ever seen anybody walk away from a mag dump sad?
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

any barrel can be remade. it just costs more
View Quote

This exactly, I worked for a guy who made a .308 Bren barrel for a customer because that is what the customer wanted. Not easy or cheap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 5:33:06 PM EDT
[#13]
My M11 is an 86 built but it was done right.....from records.. it was done in January 86.

So nothing funky about it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:52:11 AM EDT
[#14]
There are huge diffences between unfired fired and abused.. on a M10,M11. Unless it was really messed up. It makes almost no difference. The guns are very simple and repair inexpensive and there are alot of them in the registry and are lower tier firearm.

I only bought my m10/45 because it was basically unfired for less than 60% of the value today..
The issue with buying something unfired is are you going to fire it? If you are going to alot it doesnt make much sence to pay more for it.. yes someday they may be worth 10xs what you paid...but wether they were fired or not wont matter because talented gunsmith will repair them so cheap compared to the going value it wont matter..?people arent snobs about m10/m11 unless it had a interesting petigree based on who owned it or how they came about owning it, or god forbid whom it has killed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top