Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 1:23:11 AM EDT
Does anyone know when we’ll see a Military Modular Sleep System in OCP/Multicam?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#1]
In 2027 when the Army begins transitioning to a different pattern.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:25:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Hahahahahahahahaaahaaaaaa, they gotta get their monies worth out of the shitty UCP stuff before they can do that.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Aren't there any Woodland pattern shells available?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

With all due respect, not what OP asked
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quite right, but Woodland shell is better than UCP while he's waiting for OCP.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's funny, because it's probably true.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, but I don't need it right away and I'd hate to get the older Woodland MSS if in a few months the OCP is going to be available.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I would not hold your breath, especially with the current administration
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:08:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I did observe in recent press video of the NG soldiers in DC that many were wearing level 5 PCU that were still in ACU.

I have also observed that many the NG are using MOLLE pouches that are still in ACU.  

OCP was officially adopted September of 2019.  According to Wikipedia the OCP gear will be replaced when it's replaced basically, doesn't seem to be a target date for when that's supposed to be done by.

USAF is requiring all Airman to go to OCP by April 1, 2021, so they'll be officially OCP very soon.  

Space Force is OCP as well.  

DOD has multiple Military Contractors who can produce OCP, it's not like it's one company like Sig Sauer for the M17.  Why are they dragging their feet on adoption and issuance of the new gear? DOD funding last year was the highest in its history, where is all the money going?
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I did observe in recent press video of the NG soldiers in DC that many were wearing level 5 PCU that were still in ACU.

I have also observed that many the NG are using MOLLE pouches that are still in ACU.  

OCP was officially adopted September of 2019.  According to Wikipedia the OCP gear will be replaced when it's replaced basically, doesn't seem to be a target date for when that's supposed to be done by.

USAF is requiring all Airman to go to OCP by April 1, 2021, so they'll be officially OCP very soon.  

Space Force is OCP as well.  

DOD has multiple Military Contractors who can produce OCP, it's not like it's one company like Sig Sauer for the M17.  Why are they dragging their feet on adoption and issuance of the new gear? DOD funding last year was the highest in its history, where is all the money going?
View Quote

More like ECWCS, I'm sure you know more about the PCU system than most NG soldiers.
I'm not sure about the other branches but the Army is revamping a lot right now: body armor, ballistic vests/helmets, eyepro, MHS M1152/M1153 ammo fielding, Mk 243 PIP. Then there's the NGSW program, JLTV, and the other vehicle programs.

The color of our sleeping bags is a very low functional priority.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:13:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Tennier Industries Is the only contractor of the Improved Modular Sleep System and looks like their last contract has been stipulated fiscal year 2011, 100000 Pieces at a rate of 24000 per month for 287$ each.

On the other hand the USMC 3s Sleep System was a indefinite time and quantity contract that was won by Propper, against which tennier filed a protest.

As per official Army publication in 2014 There has been interest to adopt and adapt the USMC System for the Army. In 2015 this decision received milestone C "Milestone C authorizes production of prototypes that are likely to satisfy the operational requirements. During this phase, production verification testing as well as other tests are carried out. It concludes with operational testing and evaluation in support of the decision to enter into full-rate production. Passing the operational test generally promotes the system to full-rate production and deployment (fielding).". Then nothing happened or so It seems.

We will continue to see UCP Gear for long, Just like It Always happened with older items. There Is a chance that an issue OCP Sleep System Will be a different next generation one.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]
USMC sleep system has Coyote brown shell, with an insect netting component for face protection.  No knowledge if it will interface with Army-issued MSS components.  Insect netting appears to be a useful item, but no personal info.

With Biden Admin in control, look for military budgets to be decreased  Consider it inevitable, if only to pay for social programs.  Army and USMC will do well to collaborate on items common to both Branches.

Time is past for different packs, uniforms, boots, and many other items.  Army and USMC need to collaborate on common items, because there is value in volume-buying, which reduces the effects of inevitable budget cuts  For example: If no added-cost, add USMC EGA logo to mf'd items.  If added-cost, have recruits add EGA logo via stencil.  Time to think outside the box, and prepare for the inevitable budget cuts.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:22:01 AM EDT
[#13]
i don't think Army searching to adapt the USMC sleep system meant going to issue the coyote brown kits, but more like producing a similar concept for the army instead of the two bags, two sakcs and a bivy system. No doubt it would have been produced in a more army appropriate color, be it OCP or Tan 499. The project also mentioned using "4 components of the usmc system", so one of those USMC components would have been left away.

I think the ALICE/Woodland era was the closest that ever was to uniformity among Us Armed Forces branches (regarding individual soldier items), then the pendulum had swung and every branch went back to a distinct identity just like happened prior than the 70s. Someday the pendulum will swing back and we will see uniformity again.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Tennier Industries Is the only contractor of the Improved Modular Sleep System and looks like their last contract has been stipulated fiscal year 2011, 100000 Pieces at a rate of 24000 per month for 287$ each.

On the other hand the USMC 3s Sleep System was a indefinite time and quantity contract that was won by Propper, against which tennier filed a protest.

As per official Army publication in 2014 There has been interest to adopt and adapt the USMC System for the Army. In 2015 this decision received milestone C "Milestone C authorizes production of prototypes that are likely to satisfy the operational requirements. During this phase, production verification testing as well as other tests are carried out. It concludes with operational testing and evaluation in support of the decision to enter into full-rate production. Passing the operational test generally promotes the system to full-rate production and deployment (fielding).". Then nothing happened or so It seems.

We will continue to see UCP Gear for long, Just like It Always happened with older items. There Is a chance that an issue OCP Sleep System Will be a different next generation one.
View Quote

I hope that the Army does NOT adopt the USMC 3s since it's just a three season system. I'd much rather they just keep the MSS and update it to OCP.  

Sounds like the U.S. Army contract with Tennier Industries is up then.  Time to get a new contract and hopefully not make it a sole-source contract so they can rapidly upgrade. I'd like to see an IMSS in OCP that was maybe even more packable to a smaller size, but I'd definitely want it to be a 4 season system.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Time is past for different packs, uniforms, boots, and many other items.  Army and USMC need to collaborate on common items, because there is value in volume-buying, which reduces the effects of inevitable budget cuts  For example: If no added-cost, add USMC EGA logo to mf'd items.  If added-cost, have recruits add EGA logo via stencil.  Time to think outside the box, and prepare for the inevitable budget cuts.
View Quote

At the volumes that both services are buying, it doesn't matter the marginal cost will be no different if you combined the orders.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 3:29:06 PM EDT
[#17]
The sleeping bag colour will change as soon as the Air Force stops issuing Alice gear to its non-battlefield airman for deployments.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top