Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2021 12:10:11 PM EDT
So, I am mounting a scope for the first time on my .50 BMG upper. And, I have really tight clearance on the back of the scope between the focus ring and the picatinny base. I'd say there is 2mm of space max:

The front bell seems to be OK with about 3-4mm of clearance:

What does the consensus say? Is the scope "too close for comfort" and could potentially be damaged under the recoil of the mighty .50 BMG cartridge? Or, is it perfect and leave it as-is? If I get the high mount scope rings of the same brand, I'll be 0.33" higher. Not sure if this is more desirable as opposed to having it as low as possible? Note that these rings are rated for and specifically designed for .50 BMG rifles. So, they should be solid without any movement. And in all honesty, I probably will be shooting this rifle at less than 300 yards due to the limit of open ranges around here. So, I don't think the extra height would be needed?

And, here is the overall positioning of the scope on my upper:

I haven't adjusted it for eye relief or tightened it down yet. But, does the positioning on the rail look good? Any advice is appreciated!
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I ran mine similarly close when I had one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You don't have much choice, you either go higher or find a shorter mount as that looks like your only two options.

Put something on the base to mark the scope if they come into contact with each other. Fire a round and check to see if the recoil caused them to hit one another. If they did, you'll need to make a change in your setup.

ETA: Whose upper is that?
View Quote

Thanks for the input guys! I'll put some painter's tape on the rail and see if I can find any signs of it hitting once I shoot it. It's good to hear c5hardtop mention that he ran his the same way without issues. I'd hate to have to return these rings and try to get them replaced with high mount ones cause they took 2 weeks to arrive.

As for the upper, it's a Ligamec Corp. Raptor 50 upper. It's a really nice quality built upper - that tooling mark in the first pic is the only flaw I could find with the upper. Other than that, it's perfectly put together. I'm going to do a full review post of the upper once I get a chance to actually shoot it. There is VERY little information out there on this brand upper, other than the glowing reviews on their website.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top