Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2020 5:13:06 PM EDT
So I have a new to me XL 650 w/ casefeeder that I have been slowly setting up over the last few days.  My casefeeder is the old style with just the high/low/off switch.

Today I installed my casefeed plate and turned the feeder on and nothing happened with the switch in either the high or low position.

I took the covers off and made sure all the connections were secure, then remounted everything and turned the casefeeder on again.  It worked in both the high and low positions.

Next I added some 9mm brass to check the clutch adjustment and it started feeding cases (into a bin, not the drop tube so the full tube switch was out of play), but after feeding about a dozen cases the casefeeder just stopped working.  There was no noise or anything to indicate there might be a jam; it just stopped working as if the switch had been turned off.

I once again removed the covers and checked the connections then tried turning it back on but no dice.  

I have a call back ticket in with Dillon to speak with their customer service but if anyone knows what the issue might be and how I can fix it, please help.  I would love to get this resolved as soon as possible.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
mine stops if:
The clutch adjustment is too tight

Too much brass in the hopper

If it stops for either of those reasons, the motor should still be buzzing. if it is not, I would suspect a bad switch. Dillon will probably send you a new switch if it is bad. Dillon customer service is pretty good.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Occasionally on mine the drop tube will ride up and hold the full switch shut off down.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the contacts on the switch might have a little corrosion or something that is preventing a good connection.  I pulled the cable off the switch and reinstalled it.  Now it is working properly.
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 11:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the contacts on the switch might have a little corrosion or something that is preventing a good connection.  I pulled the cable off the switch and reinstalled it.  Now it is working properly.
View Quote

This is what I was going to recommend. One of my 1050 casefeeders did the same thing a while ago and once I cleaned the connections on the switch, it was good again.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes the switch will stick.  It is a cheap switch.  Probably should call and get a new switch before it fails completely.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sometimes the switch will stick.  It is a cheap switch.  Probably should call and get a new switch before it fails completely.
View Quote

Dillon just called back.  Even though I got the casefeeder working, they're sending me a new switch gratis, just in case it goes out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone done the Variable Speed upgrade? Is it worth the expense if you have the older system?

https://www.dillonprecision.com/casefeeder-variable-speed-motor-upgrade-kit_8_6_26744.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top