Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2018 11:46:53 AM EDT
If my son enjoys shooting when we go for the first time in the next month or two, and really takes to it, I don't mind investing $600-$1000 into a Dillon press so that we can go shooting a LOT and do it on the cheap.  I already have a Lee Classic Single Stage press that I've used for everything from .32acp all the way up to .460S&W mag.  However, even with a digital scale, it takes a LONG time to make a box of ammo.  Then I see people using the 650 and it's like a slot machine that gives a box of ammo every few minutes.  Big difference.!

For the oddball/less-used calibers I would probably stick to my single stage.  I'm not sure how much it costs to switch calibers in a 650 but initially I'd like to have everything needed for 9mm and 5.56.  Those are the two calibers that, by far, I shoot the most.  It looks like the 650 starts at $590.  Any idea what all is needed and the costs to switch calibers?

For those of you that have experience with them, is the Dillon the way to go or is there a better option?

Again, this really comes down to whether my son enjoys shooting.  If he doesn't I'll probably just keep stocking up/collection but won't hit the range nearly as much.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as speed, I load pistol calibers at around 8 minutes per 100. Not crazy fast, but always good quality.

Price,
The price you are seeing is for press, with one caliber conversion.
You will also need a case feeder for fast production.

Caliber changes,

I tried to cheap out when I first got started, then realized I was wasting way to much time and effort trying to be cheap.
Buy a delux caliber conversion so everything is assembled, and ready to load. It’s more money, but so worth it.

My set up consists of two 650, and 6 delux conversions. It takes very little time to switch calibers.

As far as other brands,

I’ve played with an ammo plant, and it wasn’t for me. RCBS does not have anything in the same league. Lee progressives, just say no
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, the 650 will come with everything for one caliber except dies,  I HIGHLY recommend getting the case feeder and some extra primer tubes.   9mm and. 223 share the same base plate and locator buttons. So you may be able to save money by just buying the casefeed parts separately instead of the entire caliber conversion kit. You can find a list of the caliber conversion kit parts on Dillon's website, there's also a website somewhere that will automatically compare what you have with what you desire to load and list the parts you need. I'm on my phone so can't dig it up right now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
If your looking to save money look elsewhere like ammo sales.

The XL650 setup for two calibers with case feeder and basic options is going to cost over $800.00.

You'll soon want things to speed things up such as separate complete tool heads with powder measure, strong mount, roller handel which cost more money.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 12:51:07 PM EDT
[#4]
There is no such thing as a "deluxe" 650 conversion.

Dies vary from brand to brand.  Buy either Dillon Pistol Dies or Redding Pro Series dies as they are meant for progressive press use

You have the caliber conversion which range from 77.95 for common calibers or 87.95 for odd ball calibers.

There is a quick change kit which is a Powder Measure, Powder Die, Tool Head, and Tool head stand.  This is a Quick Change Kit.
It runs about 17 bucks, but saves over $21 bucks over buying stuff piece meal.

It is smart idea to get a Primer System to keep SM set up or LG set up ready to swap out easy.

There are some odd ball calibers which require other expenses
Magnum powder charge bar
Magnum case feeder conversion
Magnum Case Feeder Plate
Over Sized Powder Die
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:01:47 PM EDT
[#5]
conversion kits are about $80

https://www.dillonprecision.com/xl-650-caliber-conversion-kit_8_2_23804.html

plus a toolhead, and dies.

your existing dies should work, even if they are LEE, hornady etc.

a casefeeder is a must.

the XL650 is pure joy.

I really love it.

Link Posted: 4/22/2018 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I meant delux quick change.
The vendor I bought mine from sold them with caliber conversions complete. Having everything, dies, toolhead and powder measure ready to load is the only way to go.

As I said, when I first started with my 650, I tried to be cheap. But changing calibers without all the quick change parts was a huge pain.

I second having a separate primer system, then changing from large to small is only two screws. I bought a separate 650
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is no such thing as a "deluxe" 650 conversion.

Dies vary from brand to brand.  Buy either Dillon Pistol Dies or Redding Pro Series dies as they are meant for progressive press use

You have the caliber conversion which range from 77.95 for common calibers or 87.95 for odd ball calibers.

There is a quick change kit which is a Powder Measure, Powder Die, Tool Head, and Tool head stand.  This is a Quick Change Kit.
It runs about 17 bucks, but saves over $21 bucks over buying stuff piece meal.

It is smart idea to get a Primer System to keep SM set up or LG set up ready to swap out easy.

There are some odd ball calibers which require other expenses
Magnum powder charge bar
Magnum case feeder conversion
Magnum Case Feeder Plate
Over Sized Powder Die
View Quote
What quick change kit is this that is $17.00?
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What quick change kit is this that is $17.00?
View Quote
I think that was a typo. I am seeing the XL650 Quick Change kit at $117 on their site.

Here is a list of what you would possibly need to load both of those calibers. I did include a strong mount and a case feeder, but those are both optional.

XL650
XL650 (Dillon XL 650)
Options:
Caliber Conversion Kit to be Included: 9 X 21
$589.95

XL 650 Caliber Conversion Kit (XL 650 Caliber C)
Options:
Caliber Type: .223/5.56mm
$79.95

Dillon Casefeed Plate Small Pistol (21073)
$39.95

Casefeeder Size: Small Rifle (.204 Ruger, .223 and similar)
$239.95

XL 650 Quick Change (22059)
$116.95

Dillon Strong Mounts XL650-only (22052)
$47.95

Roughly $1115 here. You might also consider a roller handle as well. So just under $1200.

But that doesn't include dies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry, I meant delux quick change.
The vendor I bought mine from sold them with caliber conversions complete. Having everything, dies, toolhead and powder measure ready to load is the only way to go.

As I said, when I first started with my 650, I tried to be cheap. But changing calibers without all the quick change parts was a huge pain.

I second having a separate primer system, then changing from large to small is only two screws. I bought a separate 650
View Quote
Don't forget the primer punch change, a major PITA.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I think that was a typo. I am seeing the XL650 Quick Change kit at $117 on their site.

Here is a list of what you would possibly need to load both of those calibers. I did include a strong mount and a case feeder, but those are both optional.

XL650
XL650 (Dillon XL 650)
Options:
$589.95

Options:
$79.95

$39.95

$239.95

$116.95

$47.95

Roughly $1115 here. You might also consider a roller handle as well. So just under $1200.

View Quote
I appreciate that list.

And I'm guessing this stuff isn't much cheaper used and Dillon doesn't run decent sales right?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 11:27:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I appreciate that list.

And I'm guessing this stuff isn't much cheaper used and Dillon doesn't run decent sales right?

Thanks
View Quote
If you get VERY lucky you might find someone selling their equipment who doesn't know what it's worth.  In general, Dillon equipment holds it's value pretty well, especially with their warranty.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:04:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I appreciate that list.

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XL650
XL650 (Dillon XL 650)
Options:
$589.95

Options:
$79.95

$39.95

$239.95

$116.95

$47.95

I appreciate that list.

Thanks
Yeah, Dillon doesn't do sales.

Every once in a while, I run across an estate sale or auction that has some decent used equipment. But that takes time and just being in the right place at the right time.

I did pick up a used 1050 off of backpage and got a deal on it, but that isn't an option anymore.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:38:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I appreciate the replies.  Seems like it would be money well spent, provided I stock up on powder and primers (I mold my own bullets)...and I have reason to shoot a lot.

So is the $1200 for two calibers realistic??  I saw Elvis Ammo rig some Lee tubes/parts to avoid having to buy certain parts.  And a lot of those holders/feeders look like stuff I can cobble together from parts at Lowe's significantly cheaper than buying it already made.  Or is  that not the case?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd buy whatever parts you need instead of building them. I'm all for saving money but when my 650 isn't working right it's a major pain. However, you will recoup your costs fairly quickly if you are shooting a lot, even on 9mm and .223. I shoot a lot of 9mm and I couldn't afford to do it if I didn't have a 650.

Also, just pony up and buy the case feeder right away. I loaded for a while without it and I really regret ever doing it. It's a night and day difference.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'd buy whatever parts you need instead of building them. I'm all for saving money but when my 650 isn't working right it's a major pain. However, you will recoup your costs fairly quickly if you are shooting a lot, even on 9mm and .223. I shoot a lot of 9mm and I couldn't afford to do it if I didn't have a 650.

Also, just pony up and buy the case feeder right away. I loaded for a while without it and I really regret ever doing it. It's a night and day difference.
View Quote
Since I already am set up with all components, dies, etc...it's just the press I'd definitely need.  I'm waiting to see what people say as far as substituting less expensive accessories instead of buying 100% Dillon for everything.  That seems to be where the cost really drives up.  Because they are accessories and not included in any "kit" that tells me one of two things...1) Parts CAN be substituted or 2) They are not optional and it's a slimy way for Dillon to present a package that isn't really complete.

Since Dillon seems to be held in really high regard, I'm guessing it's the former.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Get a bullet feeder.  I use a Hornady bullet feeder to collate and drop the bullets.  Even if you didn't buy the expensive feeder, you could use a feeder die with a tube and be able to drop in a bunch of bullets at a time.  If your working together, once person could be keeping the bullets fed while the other keeps the press running.

I like to keep a tool head set up for each caliber, complete with it's own powder measure pre-set for my regular loads.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since I already am set up with all components, dies, etc...it's just the press I'd definitely need.  I'm waiting to see what people say as far as substituting less expensive accessories instead of buying 100% Dillon for everything.  That seems to be where the cost really drives up.  Because they are accessories and not included in any "kit" that tells me one of two things...1) Parts CAN be substituted or 2) They are not optional and it's a slimy way for Dillon to present a package that isn't really complete.

Since Dillon seems to be held in really high regard, I'm guessing it's the former.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are some aftermarket options for items such as the strong mount, but they mostly cost more money than the Dillon ones (but may offer better optional features, Inline Fabrications has a mount with replaceable top plates, so you can have multiple presses that interchange on one mount, they also offer their own bullet tray options).  Personally, I don't do quick-changes for all of my calibers, I do large enough runs of reloading each caliber that the time to adjust my powder measure for a new load isn't significant, I just have extra toolheads and powder funnel/check dies.  I DO have two different powder measures, for rifle and pistol, but that's largely because I've been using Dillon equipment over twenty years and had bought a second one when I had my Dillon 550 (which is still an advantage over a single-stage, especially since they now have a casefeeder for it, but I like having the fifth station for the powder check die, I had a handful of occasions where powder "stuck" with my 550B and I had weak rounds, nothing like losing 10 points at 600 yards because your bullet never got there).
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#18]
If your going to load rifle in volume take into consideration how you are going to trim that brass.

If i had a 650 with casefeed i personally would be doing it on the press......... thats another $400~ ish

Several other decent options for speed eiither Giraud method i'm sure others.

You may be different but trimming brass / chamfer / debur  are not fun if done the hard way IMO.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If your going to load rifle in volume take into consideration how you are going to trim that brass.

If i had a 650 with casefeed i personally would be doing it on the press......... thats another $400~ ish

Several other decent options for speed eiither Giraud method i'm sure others.

You may be different but trimming brass / chamfer / debur  are not fun if done the hard way IMO.
View Quote
Giraud is slow compared to a Dillon trimmer. I still break it out for match brass, but bulk ammo all goes through the RT1200.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What parts/accessories are you referencing? If you give some specifics we can really nail down whether you can substitute or if you need it at all.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 1:15:23 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For a single caliber, the Dillon presses come with everything you need to reload on the machine other than the dies.  With the XL650, if you don't use the casefeeder, it can be a pain to load cases for use, I tried it when I first got mine and soon bought a casefeeder.  Accessories such as a powder scale, primer flip tray, etc, aren't included, but you should already have those.  I just use an RCBS primer flip tray, I didn't see a point in paying 3X as much for a brass one when the plastic one works fine (and is over twenty years old).  If you get into loading a lot of other calibers, it can be worth using one of the online calculators to figure out which exact parts you need to buy for the new caliber conversions, but there aren't enough parts in common between 9mm and 5.56/.223 to be worth doing so (in fact, buying them piecemeal is more expensive).  But a properly set up 650 is a joy to operate, I can easily crank out several hundred rounds of 5.56mm in a short session at the press (of course, I'm using processed and primed brass, so no reloading the primer tubes,  my main slow point is refilling the powder measure about every 275 rounds).  It all comes down to whether you'll be reloading enough to justify the cost of the equipment, I go through 4-600 rounds of pistol a month when my schedule allows, so it's definitely worth it for me, I'll load up 1000 rounds at a time and just grab a box of 9mm and .45 each time I head to the range.  In fact, I'm about out of .45 so I'll need to switch over to large primers soon so I can load some more.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

XL650
XL650 (Dillon XL 650)
Options:
$589.95

Options:
$79.95

$39.95

$239.95

$116.95

$47.95

View Quote
I just got off the phone with Dillon.  They verified everything you shared was correct.  However, since it was $1200 to do both calibers out of one press, I asked why not just buy one press for each caliber to have a dedicated setup.  After a pause he said I could do it and it would alleviate all the costs of buying parts to specifically do a swap.  Now something to consider is I would NOT have a casefeeder/hopper and would just be using a tube and I also would not have the "strong mounts".  It would be two completely stock XL650 presses instead of what seems to be a slightly nicer setup but one that would require a bunch of part swapping with the list above.

Is it typical to have a Dillon for a dedicated caliber and then buy a new one when wanting to load something else....or....do people usually go the part swapping route?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd rather have one fully loaded XL650 than two without casefeeders

It's not hard to convert calibers
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'd rather have one fully loaded XL650 than two without casefeeders

It's not hard to convert calibers
View Quote
I'm going to have to watch some vids on it.  As far as the casefeeders....how many rounds are you producing in a sitting?  I've never done more than 50-100 at a time but that was in the past when I wanted to hit the range and not use factory ammo AND I'm using a Lee single stage with a digital scale.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to watch some vids on it.  As far as the casefeeders....how many rounds are you producing in a sitting?  I've never done more than 50-100 at a time but that was in the past when I wanted to hit the range and not use factory ammo AND I'm using a Lee single stage with a digital scale.

Thanks
View Quote
typically...

I do about 500, take a short break, and do another 500
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Buying a 650 without a casefeeder is a very poor choice. It is not ergonomic to feed by hand.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you get VERY lucky you might find someone selling their equipment who doesn't know what it's worth.  In general, Dillon equipment holds it's value pretty well, especially with their warranty.
View Quote
See if there is an IDPA or USPSA club in your area and if there is a website or forum or FB page.  Then post a wanted to buy (WTB) ad.  There is always somebody looking to upgrade their current reloader.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#28]
You need the case feeder
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
I crank out 100 at a time.

The primer feed tube only holds 100 primers, so you gotta stop anyway.

I will take the loaded round bin off the 650/strong mount and go sit down on the sofa.  If it is just straight walled pistol ammo, I will case gauge a few random rounds and put them in those flip lid plastic boxes...bullet nose down.  Then I run my finger over he headstamps to check for high primers.  Then I stripe the headstamps with a sharpie marker.

For .223, I'll case gauge every round and then put them in those plastic flip lid boxes.  Then check for high primers and stripe the headstamps.

Taking that beak on the sofa allows me to stretch out my neck and shoulder muscles too.  If I were to catch a mistake with the ammo, then that is only at most 100 rounds I have to pull.

You asked earlier about dies.  For 9, .40, and .45 ACP, I went with the Evolution Gun Works/Lee undersize die (aka U die).  It resizes down a little further and helps with Glock guppy belly brass.  Then the Redding micrometer adjustable bullet seating die is in station #4.  The Lee FCD is in station #5.  Station #2 is the Dillon proprietary powder through die.  Station #3 is open.  I have a flashlight zip tied to the side of the powder measure.  It shines through that empty hole at station #3.  Then I have a mechanic's inspection mirror attached to the casefeeder support.  It is angled just right so that as the freshly charged case comes up into the toolhead, the mirror lets me see the powder in the case.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'm going to have to watch some vids on it.  As far as the casefeeders....how many rounds are you producing in a sitting? I've never done more than 50-100 at a time but that was in the past when I wanted to hit the range and not use factory ammo AND I'm using a Lee single stage with a digital scale.

Thanks
View Quote
I have twin 550's so i don't have to change the priming system to swap calibers fast so i'm the last guy to tell you not to buy two presses.

But a 650 without a case feeder isn't a setup i see anyone being happy with for any length of time.

I can't see how a 650 without a case feeder is going to be much if any faster than a 550.

You really need to decide how many rounds at a time you need to be able to produce and time you have to spend doing it base your decisions off that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:00:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I have twin 550's so i don't have to change the priming system to swap calibers fast so i'm the last guy to tell you not to buy two presses.

But a 650 without a case feeder isn't a setup i see anyone being happy with for any length of time.

I can't see how a 650 without a case feeder is going to be much if any faster than a 550.

You really need to decide how many rounds at a time you need to be able to produce and time you have to spend doing it base your decisions off that.  
View Quote
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Listen to this person ...

I have two 550’s and a 650.  No way in hell would I get a 650 without the case feeder.

The 550’s are set up as small primer/large primer.

I’d get two 550’s instead of a 650 without the case feeder.  550 is a very respectable press that is easy to troubleshoot and operate.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Or just a 650 w/case feeder and wait to buy the additional 650. Without a doubt get the case feeder, it's a no-brainer. I just sold my 550 with goodies and received a 1050. Don't know what your money situation is like but the first time I pulled the handle I know I made the right decision. I would not rule out a 1050 since you will mainly be loading 9 and 223 on the new press, main calibres that may need swaged. I don't need the output of a 1050, realistically a 650 would have been ok but I only have half a life left and I buy want I want.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Buying a 650 without a casefeeder is a very poor choice. It is not ergonomic to feed by hand.
View Quote
Agreed, while you can do it without, the 650 is designed to be ran with a casefeeder.

If it were me OP, I'd get one press set up and learned before I went to two.  You might find out you don't need two, and/or will be in a better position to decide if the extra money a second would cost is really worth the time it will save you on caliber/primer changes.  I large batch reload calibers, so changing primers/calibers isn't something I do often/weekly ... adding, it really isn't that tough or time consuming to do, and gives you an opportunity to clean up the primer system while you are doing it.   If you find one press doesn't cut it, you can always go to two or look at other options later.

On the 550/650 choice.  If you want to run some kind of powder cop, the 650 (with a case feeder) with the extra hole is the right answer between these two presses.

(I run a 550, and would replace it with another if it got stolen.  This augments my LEE classic cast single, like yours.  My advise is pull the trigger on your Dillon choice sooner rather then latter, I waited entirely too long before I did.)
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Agreed, while you can do it without, the 650 is designed to be ran with a casefeeder.

If it were me OP, I'd get one press set up and learned before I went to two.  You might find out you don't need two, and/or will be in a better position to decide if the extra money a second would cost is really worth the time it will save you on caliber/primer changes.  I large batch reload calibers, so changing primers/calibers isn't something I do often/weekly ... adding, it really isn't that tough or time consuming to do, and gives you an opportunity to clean up the primer system while you are doing it.   If you find one press doesn't cut it, you can always go to two or look at other options later.

On the 550/650 choice.  If you want to run some kind of powder cop, the 650 (with a case feeder) with the extra hole is the right answer between these two presses.

(I run a 550, and would replace it with another if it got stolen.  This augments my LEE classic cast single, like yours.  My advise is pull the trigger on your Dillon choice sooner rather then latter, I waited entirely too long before I did.)
View Quote
After reading the replies I won't be buying two presses.  While money isn't tight, I'm not sure I'll drop the $1200 right off the bat.  I'll probably start with 9mm and then add .223 later, unless there's a better reason to start with .223.  I shoot the 9mm more but that's just because I wasn't cranking out as much .223 compared to 9mm in the past (I just started doing cast .223).

As for the LEE, I'm fine with still using that for my oddball rounds I hardly shoot (.460 S&W, 10mm, .357mag, .45colt, etc.).  It's a great press for what it is and let me get started with reloading about 10 years ago when money was a HUGE issue for well under $200 for the kit/components as I remember it.

As far as pulling the trigger on a press, I have been waiting to find a 20% off Ebay coupon to save some money.  But I know I just missed one and that they are rare.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:17:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
If your looking to save money look elsewhere like ammo sales.

The XL650 setup for two calibers with case feeder and basic options is going to cost over $800.00.

You'll soon want things to speed things up such as separate complete tool heads with powder measure, strong mount, roller handel which cost more money.
View Quote
The Dillon will always be worth what you bought it for or even more if you keep it long enough.   There aren't many tool investments like that. 

The issue is you will shoot more and spend more for components.  You are making cheaper ammo when you take out the press cost.  Just consider the press a tool. 
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:18:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Estate sales and divorce deals are out there.  You have to be alert to find them and fast to purchase. 
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:48:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Is it typical to have a Dillon for a dedicated caliber and then buy a new one when wanting to load something else....or....do people usually go the part swapping route?
View Quote
I've seen plenty of people mention having one 650 set up for large primers, and another for small primers, but not a whole 650 for a single caliber.  The primer change over is apparently quite challenging compared to simply swapping out tool heads to go from one caliber to another.  (I have a Hornady progressive, and this is the one area where Hornady is substantially simpler than Dillon - I can easily change primer sizes in a couple of minutes on my Lock n Load AP.)

DO GET A CASE FEEDER.  The efficiency of an auto-advance progressive press is essentially wasted without a case feeder.  While a bullet feeder can improve that efficiency, it has less impact than a case feeder.  Get it.  Changing from one caliber to another on a Dillon case feeder means swapping out the case feed plate, then changing out caliber specific bits in the feeder - it's almost completely adjustment-free.  You will definitely be happier and more productive with that case feeder.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#38]
The primer changeout really isn't a big deal. The primer punch itself is sort of a pain to reach but not an insurmountable difficulty by any means. I think level 10 makes a wrench that would make it trivial (essentially just a really deep socket sized for the primer punch). You can do it with a crescent wrench, its just placed in a hard to reach location. Really not a big deal though.

If you have a separate priming system and you are changing priming systems, its pretty much two bolts and then the primer punch. If you don't have a whole primer system for each size it becomes a fair bit more work, but nothing crazy. The 650 doesn't require much adjustment for primers either once it's in there, most of the time there's nothing else to fiddle with.

The casefeeder on the 650 as noted above requires very little adjustment as well, about the most you will need to do is turn the pusher block around to the appropriate side for rifle or handgun and adjust a small screw that controls the travel of the arm on the feeder (and you don't often need to adjust that. I'm not sure it's even on new 650s)

I do personally only load large primer on my 650, but that's because my 1050 is set up for small.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The primer changeout really isn't a big deal. The primer punch itself is sort of a pain to reach but not an insurmountable difficulty by any means. I think level 10 makes a wrench that would make it trivial (essentially just a really deep socket sized for the primer punch). You can do it with a crescent wrench, its just placed in a hard to reach location. Really not a big deal though.

If you have a separate priming system and you are changing priming systems, its pretty much two bolts and then the primer punch. If you don't have a whole primer system for each size it becomes a fair bit more work, but nothing crazy. The 650 doesn't require much adjustment for primers either once it's in there, most of the time there's nothing else to fiddle with.

The casefeeder on the 650 as noted above requires very little adjustment as well, about the most you will need to do is turn the pusher block around to the appropriate side for rifle or handgun and adjust a small screw that controls the travel of the arm on the feeder (and you don't often need to adjust that. I'm not sure it's even on new 650s)

I do personally only load large primer on my 650, but that's because my 1050 is set up for small.
View Quote
Yep.  Just swapped priming systems the other day.  Remove shellplate and the two bolts holding the priming system on.  Turn the priming system over and loosen the screw holding the "primer support shim" in place and slide it out of the way.  Swap primer discs, reinstall primer support shim, reinstall priming system.  Unscrew the primer punch and replace with the new primer punch.  Remove existing primer feed tube and insert new one.  Note that a second primer assembly only saves you the step of loosening the primer support shim, swapping discs, reinstalling the support shim, and swapping primer feed tubes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Buy used man and dont limit yourself to a dillon 650.  You can get great deals that will do what you need.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#41]
650, casefeeder, caliber conversions, and the quick change kits (tool head, powder assembly and stand) are what you seek. Its definetely nice having a different powder assembly for each caliber.

If you are looking at starting with 9mm and 223 you can buy it set up for 223, and order the casefeeder with small rifle plate. Add a 9mm caliber conversion, quick change kit, and small pistol plate for the case feeder. That gives you a complete progressive setup for both calibers and will run you about $1070, so just a touch over budget
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For a single caliber, the Dillon presses come with everything you need to reload on the machine other than the dies.  With the XL650, if you don't use the casefeeder, it can be a pain to load cases for use, I tried it when I first got mine and soon bought a casefeeder.  Accessories such as a powder scale, primer flip tray, etc, aren't included, but you should already have those.  I just use an RCBS primer flip tray, I didn't see a point in paying 3X as much for a brass one when the plastic one works fine (and is over twenty years old).  If you get into loading a lot of other calibers, it can be worth using one of the online calculators to figure out which exact parts you need to buy for the new caliber conversions, but there aren't enough parts in common between 9mm and 5.56/.223 to be worth doing so (in fact, buying them piecemeal is more expensive).  But a properly set up 650 is a joy to operate, I can easily crank out several hundred rounds of 5.56mm in a short session at the press (of course, I'm using processed and primed brass, so no reloading the primer tubes,  my main slow point is refilling the powder measure about every 275 rounds).  It all comes down to whether you'll be reloading enough to justify the cost of the equipment, I go through 4-600 rounds of pistol a month when my schedule allows, so it's definitely worth it for me, I'll load up 1000 rounds at a time and just grab a box of 9mm and .45 each time I head to the range.  In fact, I'm about out of .45 so I'll need to switch over to large primers soon so I can load some more.
View Quote
LoneWolf, you stated twice that 650s comes with everything except dies?

Every press I bought from Dillon (2x650s, 1x1050, 1x SDB) always came with dies, with the dies set up on the machine.

OP, do yourself a favor and get the case feeder. Even if you decide to get 2 presses, you only need one case feeder, as it's very easy to move from machine to machine.
Link Posted: 6/25/2018 12:21:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Every press I bought from Dillon (2x650s, 1x1050, 1x SDB) always came with dies, with the dies set up on the machine.

OP, do yourself a favor and get the case feeder. Even if you decide to get 2 presses, you only need one case feeder, as it's very easy to move from machine to machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neither of my Dillon's came with dies, they came with a caliber conversion kit already configured.  Looking at the Dillon website, the 1050, SDB, and SL900 come with dies, the 550C and XL650 do not.
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I load multiple calibers on my 650 and do the following:

Toolhead and toolhead stand for each cartridge
Conversion kit for each cartridge*
*except .40 and 10mm.   One kit or the both of them, since everything is the same, but I have a toolhead setup for each one.
Two primer assemblies (one large, one small)
Two powder measures (one with large bar, one with small bar)

The primer size change isn't a big deal at all with a separate assembly.   I'd certainly go for one press with all the bells and whistles.
View Quote
so much easier to have a powder measure for each toolhead/caliber. No fine tuning the powder drop every time you switch calibers. Otherwise we agree
Link Posted: 6/26/2018 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

the XL650 is pure joy.

I really love it.

View Quote
Link Posted: 7/1/2018 8:12:42 AM EDT
[#48]
This is a pretty old pic, but I have 2 650's with one case feeder.

Link Posted: 7/1/2018 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
This is a pretty old pic, but I have 2 650's with one case feeder.

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q782/Serwin007/DSC04770_zpsqsc1rrhn.jpg
View Quote
From that picture, it kinda looks like you have 2 650s and one case feeder you can switch between the two.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top