Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2019 9:57:10 AM EDT
Please recommend what has worked well for you guys. Not looking for an auto powder one.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm using one from Hornady, I'm sure there's better ones out there... but for 30.00 it fills my needs. I only use it to measure bullets and casings
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Franklin armory has one that has worked OK.

I wouldn't use it for precision.

And triple check for weight.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:59:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 RCBS powder dispenser/scale combo's the original old Pact dispense/scale. and the new chargemaster lite dispenser/scale.. I use both, then run the charges across a gem pro 250 to verify..been fast and easy to get accurate loads...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Only use one for sorting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an RCBS Rangemaster 2000. Haven't used it a ton, but it's worked great so far.

Also have had an RCBS Chargemaster for going on 7 years now, works great.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Have the RCBS Rangemaster 750, has worked well for many years and no complaints.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Gempro 250
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have the RCBS Rangemaster 750, has worked well for many years and no complaints.
View Quote
Me, too. After ten years it quit holding zero. Called RCBS and while they wouldn't warranty it I believe they gave me credit towards a new one.
I check weight it every time.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#9]
None of the cheap digital scales are trustworthy IMO. I use balance beam scales and check weights.

Balance beam scales will last a lifetime provided you keep them clean and don't drop them on the cement.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#10]
The A&D FX120i is nice and can be set up up to dispense, but I'm guessing you aren't after something lab grade.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I use an ibalance i101, similar to the gem pro 250, but .1 grain instead of .01 grain precision.

For rifle rounds that I load one at a time on a forester co-ax I use a balance beam scale.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 2:57:01 PM EDT
[#12]
One of the best values with a good warranty would be the Gem Pro 300.  They discontinued the Gem Pro 250.
Just always remember that electronic scales are influenced by many factors.  Fluorescent ights, cell phones, besides drafts.  Always best to warm up and calibrate to best results.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 3:39:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
None of the cheap digital scales are trustworthy IMO. I use balance beam scales and check weights.

Balance beam scales will last a lifetime provided you keep them clean and don't drop them on the cement.
View Quote
Or leave the beam resting on the bearings when vibration is present.

The 'knife edges' become very non-sharp.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:40:30 PM EDT
[#14]
No digital scale less expensive than the GemPro is worth owning.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The A&D FX120i is nice and can be set up up to dispense, but I'm guessing you aren't after something lab grade.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just picked up one myself. Really impressed with the speed.

I do need to pickup some 50gram calibration weights though. I made some test weights at work on an ultra micro balance that weigh 50.000gr and they measured 50.04gr on the FX-120i. It seems to be a linearity issue that just needs go be corrected because the 20.000gr weight measured 20.02gr.

Attachment Attached File

I'll probably pick up the autotrickler setup at some point, but right now I can weigh out in 30sec or less pretty consistently.

Quoted:
No digital scale less expensive than the GemPro is worth owning.
I agree with this.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had my Dillon D-Terminator scale since 2004 and it's always worked just fine.  I open the hard case and turn it on when I first start to prep for reloading and let it warm up for usually about 5 minutes by the time I get to weighing powder.  Always been consistent and works like a charm.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Please recommend what has worked well for you guys. Not looking for an auto powder one.
View Quote
@cmcque, What is your budget?

If you are interested in the high-end, the Adams HCB123 is an outstanding scale. I have taken precautionary measures by installing ferrite chokes on the power cord and pluging it into a line conditioner.

Amazon links:

Scale
Line Conditioner
Ferrite chokes

Enjoy the rabbit hole....

-Beetle
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I've had a Pact like this for probably 20 years.  I wouldn't dream of going back to a balance.

A year ago, I got a Hornady Auto Charge, which has a built in electronic scale.  I compared charges to my Pact, and found the consistency between the two to be very good.

I hope my Pact keeps going for another 20 years.  My only complaint is that it is battery operated.  I also discovered about 5 years ago that a cell phone (iPhone) can cause interference if within 3 feet.  I've never had a problem with fluorescent lights, like some have reported.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 10:37:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Just picked up one myself. Really impressed with the speed.

I do need to pickup some 50gram calibration weights though. I made some test weights at work on an ultra micro balance that weigh 50.000gr and they measured 50.04gr on the FX-120i. It seems to be a linearity issue that just needs go be corrected because the 20.000gr weight measured 20.02gr.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/20190105_204414_jpg-798501.JPG

I'll probably pick up the autotrickler setup at some point, but right now I can weigh out in 30sec or less pretty consistently.

I agree with this.
View Quote
slightly off top topic, but I have way too much wrapped up in mine.  Granted the scale is not cheap, but the fact it is upgradeable to trickle and throw is kind of nice.  I know quite a few guys who have started with the scale and continued to add stuff to it from there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:44:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
slightly off top topic, but I have way too much wrapped up in mine.  Granted the scale is not cheap, but the fact it is upgradeable to trickle and throw is kind of nice.  I know quite a few guys who have started with the scale and continued to add stuff to it from there.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/222979/IMG_6067-799384.jpg
View Quote
I know!

And brownells sells the autotrickler stuff now too, so I can take advantage of their coupons and free shipping.

I'll probably upgrade mine in the coming months.

I would love to be able to dispense a charge and seat the bullet at the same time! That would really speed things up.

So far I'm really impressed with it. It just needs to be calibrated as it's measuring 0.04gr heavy at 50gr  out of the box. I'll report back when I'm able to get a calibration weight and calibrate it.

I'll order a 50gram weight, make sure it's actually 50.000 grams, then calibrate the scale to see if it bring the linearity back into line. It won't make a bit of difference in terms of accuracy (repeatability is way more important), but I like knowing it's precision is perfect too.

@TeeRex

Where did you get the glass top? I really like that!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 1:59:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I know!

And brownells sells the autotrickler stuff now too, so I can take advantage of their coupons and free shipping.

I'll probably upgrade mine in the coming months.

I would love to be able to dispense a charge and seat the bullet at the same time! That would really speed things up.

So far I'm really impressed with it. It just needs to be calibrated as it's measuring 0.04gr heavy at 50gr  out of the box. I'll report back when I'm able to get a calibration weight and calibrate it.

I'll order a 50gram weight, make sure it's actually 50.000 grams, then calibrate the scale to see if it bring the linearity back into line. It won't make a bit of difference in terms of accuracy (repeatability is way more important), but I like knowing it's precision is perfect too.

@TeeRex

Where did you get the glass top? I really like that!
View Quote
It's actually Lexan, but a much needed upgrade.  i have all the Area 419 stuff, and they realized when they did their hopper the added weight made the type kind of flimsy.  They now have the Lexan top which looks cool, and makes the whole top much more rigid.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:14:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's actually Lexan, but a much needed upgrade.  i have all the Area 419 stuff, and they realized when they did their hopper the added weight made the type kind of flimsy.  They now have the Lexan top which looks cool, and makes the whole top much more rigid.
View Quote

That stuff is gorgeous!

Attachment Attached File

Do you have any issues with stick powders with the top powder dispenser? When I'm using the powder dispenser with 4064 or Varget I often times have to "cut" the powder as I'm dispensing it. Meaning, as I go dispense the powder there will be a grain or two that gets caught in the powder dispenser that I have to "cut" in order to finish the stroke.

Does the dispenser with 419 have issues with cutting stick grains, does it get hung up, etc?

That system looks way nicer than the autotrickler setup I was looking at and it's about the same price. Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That stuff is gorgeous!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322543/Screenshot_20190107-130959_Chrome_jpg-799543.JPG

Do you have any issues with stick powders with the top powder dispenser? When I'm using the powder dispenser with 4064 or Varget I often times have to "cut" the powder as I'm dispensing it. Meaning, as I go dispense the powder there will be a grain or two that gets caught in the powder dispenser that I have to "cut" in order to finish the stroke.

Does the dispenser with 419 have issues with cutting stick grains, does it get hung up, etc?

That system looks way nicer than the autotrickler setup I was looking at and it's about the same price. Thanks for sharing!
View Quote
I have had that happen a couple times, but not much.  The guys to the system are still made by auto trickler so some of those parts and still retained.  I haven't had any real issue with the set up at all, and I've never used it for anything other than extruded powder.  i use a ton of reloader 16 which has to be the least uniform kernel size of any powder out.

ETA that is just the entire line of upgrades they have, you still need to auto trickler and thrower.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have had that happen a couple times, but not much.  The guys to the system are still made by auto trickler so some of those parts and still retained.  I haven't had any real issue with the set up at all, and I've never used it for anything other than extruded powder.  i use a ton of reloader 16 which has to be the least uniform kernel size of any powder out.

ETA that is just the entire line of upgrades they have, you still need to auto trickler and thrower.
View Quote
Wow. So that price doesn't include the guts of the autotrickler system, you have to buy that separately?

So you're looking at $600 for the balance, $400 for the autotrickler setup, and another $500 for the area 419 stuff? Geez.

I'll go be poor somewhere else. I guess I'll just have to stick with the autotrickler setup when I get it. Rabbit hole for sure!

Thanks for sharing though, didn't know this system existed.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wow. So that price doesn't include the guts of the autotrickler system, you have to buy that separately?

So you're looking at $600 for the balance, $400 for the autotrickler setup, and another $500 for the area 419 stuff? Geez.

I'll go be poor somewhere else. I guess I'll just have to stick with the autotrickler setup when I get it. Rabbit hole for sure!

Thanks for sharing though, didn't know this system existed.
View Quote
I had my scale and trickler before the 419 stuff came out.  I have a ton wrapped up in it, but piecing it together over time took some sting out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Or leave the beam resting on the bearings when vibration is present.

The 'knife edges' become very non-sharp.
View Quote
Mine started having issues.  It is a good idea to clean those surfaces once in a while.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Has anybody used the Myweigh warranty? Can't seem to find any info on if it only applies to the original purchaser or not. Tempted to keep my eye out for a use one on one of the various forums, I've heard of some people not liking them. But if that would void the warranty I don't know if it will be worth it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:42:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had a Pact like this for probably 20 years.  I wouldn't dream of going back to a balance.

I hope my Pact keeps going for another 20 years.  My only complaint is that it is battery operated.  I also discovered about 5 years ago that a cell phone (iPhone) can cause interference if within 3 feet.  I've never had a problem with fluorescent lights, like some have reported.
View Quote
+1

Mine has been great for a long time

Mine came with a 120VAc wall wart also

Link Posted: 1/23/2019 11:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have 2 RCBS powder dispenser/scale combo's the original old Pact dispense/scale. and the new chargemaster lite dispenser/scale.. I use both, then run the charges across a gem pro 250 to verify..been fast and easy to get accurate loads...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/ZOWrZc0PRfG6CuBmdxpFtA_jpg-797093.JPG
View Quote
Same. I get very accurate loads with this set up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top