Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 10:59:14 AM EDT
I’m looking for something that explains the difference in grade of L3 Filmless tubes.

I can’t really find much searching so I thought I’d reach out and ask the community.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:10:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Must not have looked very hard...

HERE IS THE INFORMATION YOU SEEK
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks everyone I appreciate it
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Know that the L3H grades are not the be all end all because the maximums are unlimited (of course other than reversal for EBI/HALO). Where grades become a "thing" is if you need to special order unfilmed tubes and have a minimum spec requirement. This is more common with sellers who only order unfilmed tubes as needed. If a customer has a certain minimum spec request well then they have to order accordingly.

If you're shopping for a new device with unfilmed tubes, at TNVC we offer specs requests for no additional charge, and we'll gladly make recommendations to help you decide. We use 18UM's on our own custom contract and if you follow some of the threads you will see that the specs commonly exceed the other grades. This is because we receive A LOT of tubes. I know guys who special ordered higher grades (and paid more for it) and received what most people nowadays would consider average-to-below average specs.

Ironically, some of the people who lecture about not "buying into" high specs vs lower, unfilmed vs filmed, etc. etc. will shout from the roof tops when they have higher unfilmed grades for sale such as 24's, lol.

View Quote

That's a great service you guys offer. Personally, I've never really been hung up on specs. The most important thing to me, is how good does the tube look in person and if there are any blems, then how distracting they are.

I'm rocking some Harris thin filmed tubes in m RNVGs that I got from tlandoe07 last year that are some great looking tubes. Those tubes were originally 11769 tubes that he docked and did a damn good job on it. My wife's Anvis-9s has some L3 tubes that I also got from him that are damn good too. There is a bit of fixed pattern noise and a few blems, but too good a deal to pass up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, it is an awesome service.

I agree but that's really only possible buying used face-to-face and if have experience and know what to look for. You could probably show a new buyer an old D300 gen 2 that's out of focus and they'll probably be amazed, lol.

Ted is a good dude
View Quote

Yeah I remember the first time I looked through a gen 2 PVS-7c and was hooked. Of course that was back in the early 90s. I've run through several dozen models since then and I still look at specs but I have to have the old Mk1 eyeball test to know. I like white phosphor, but it's not worth the extra premium to me, same with filmless.

Totally agree that specs matter to a new buyer when they don't know what they don't know. I always tell new buyer to get the best they can afford and not to worry about chasing the absolute best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top