Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2019 11:57:07 PM EDT
Seen it the other day on MG central I think. Looked like a nice C&R MP40 with leather sling and 3 mags for $11,000.

Why in the world was it so cheap? I thought MP40s were close to 20k.

Am I missing something?

And no I can not find the link now. It’s like the ad disappeared.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:07:02 AM EDT
[#1]
This one?

https://machineguncentral.com/ViewDetails.aspx?p=2525--5b8ab323-c212-4bd3-ab47-5d23c6693935

It was cheap because it was a probably a 99% chance it was a scam.

http://www.subguns.com/boards/mgmsg.cgi?read=897621

Looks like they removed the listing but the archive link is still hot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#2]
If the price is too good to be true its probably is a scam.

Why would someone sell their MG for 50% of market value on a forum to someone they have never met when there are multiple reputable dealers out there offering around 80% of market value. All you have to do is call them, send a few photos, sign a contract and they can have the funds deposited in your bank account within 2-3 days.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:02:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep that’s it.

I figured it was too good to be true.

Buddy has been wanting one. Told him about it.

We figured it was some sort of parts gun / reweld for it to be that cheap. Glad he didn’t waste the time looking into it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 10:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I considered buying one in 2010, wish I would’ve.
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These scams are getting more and more common. Someone sent me a link to a Reising I recently sold that someone else listed for sale with my pictures and description.
View Quote
That’s ridiculous. I guess normal sellers need to start watermarking there photos with screen names / ffl names to combat it.

Buddy sent me a ad listing here in GA on ODT for a M11 for $4,500.00 in tx. Guy ending up coming in there saying that someone from his shop/area was scamming his FFL/SOT info and name and trying to make sales.

Also makes the slight premium price that major sellers have worth it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 10:28:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Plot twist-

Maybe it's the reputable sellers making these obvious scam ads to justify their premiums???
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone offered to by an MP5 from me I had listed in Sturm.  Someone saw his offer and sent him a message that she would get the deal handled.  He contacted me via phone about it, and I told him it was a scam.  So people are watching the boards and attempting to run scams on authentic sales.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That’s ridiculous. I guess normal sellers need to start watermarking there photos with screen names / ffl names to combat it.

Buddy sent me a ad listing here in GA on ODT for a M11 for $4,500.00 in tx. Guy ending up coming in there saying that someone from his shop/area was scamming his FFL/SOT info and name and trying to make sales.

Also makes the slight premium price that major sellers have worth it.
View Quote
Agreed I don't mind paying a little extra for the peace of mind.

If you go the private sale route you have to put a lot of work into it. Most important see the MG in person. Get a copy of their drivers license. Find them on social media. Go to the county auditor and make sure they live at the address they give you, and if they rent contact the land lord to confirm they live there. You can also search arrest records for the county they live in. See if they have a criminal history. What do they do for a living, most people I run into selling MG are Fairly wealthy. If you do a google street view and they live in the projects with a rusted out hunk of s**t in the driveway I might questions how they could afford a transferable MG.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Plot twist-

Maybe it's the reputable sellers making these obvious scam ads to justify their premiums???
View Quote
That would be awful if true. I have read that the guy who runs the Machine Gun Price Guide website is very selective on which sales he records on his site. Mainly only the sales that reflect a very high amount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top