BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 74
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They said 4 is the new normal, 2 is suppressed, and 6 is adverse.
View Quote
My bad.

Called DT warranty, the new parts mentioned in the video are not yet available, and all of the new 6 position gas plugs are either being incorporated into new rifles or sent to people who had requested them earlier.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow, it runs for at least five rounds sequentially. Too many camera cuts to say more than that... other than, hey, that's some seriously inconsistent ejection. That doesn't bode well.

ETA: I stand corrected, the second string was one camera cut. Good. So it runs at least one mag without an issue. This is nothing to celebrate, but if it does that a few dozen times in a row with no problems and with factory M80 ball, good. They may get a few customers with that video, and if they deliver guns which don't work, ouch. We'll see.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My bad.

Called DT warranty, the new parts mentioned in the video are not yet available, and all of the new 6 position gas plugs are either being incorporated into new rifles or sent to people who had requested them earlier.
View Quote
Very bad move IMO from not only a business standpoint, but a moral one as well.

They should be getting any new parts to those that already paid good money first, then resume getting new guns out of the door. I reality, they should be getting every gun out there running before producing and selling any more of them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Very bad move IMO from not only a business standpoint, but a moral one as well.

They should be getting any new parts to those that already paid good money first, then resume getting new guns out of the door. I reality, they should be getting every gun out there running before producing and selling any more of them.
View Quote
"But we already have your money..."
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 10:43:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Which is a valid point since fixing shit costs money.  If it's "new guns go first" or bankruptcy/welshing on the warranty...I'd say this is the less sucky of sucky options.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Which is a valid point since fixing shit costs money.  If it's "new guns go first" or bankruptcy/welshing on the warranty...I'd say this is the less sucky of sucky options.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, most probable. Best of the bad, and there's no out without ticking one group or another off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Have any 5.56 guns hit the street yet?
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:11:48 AM EDT
[#9]
It appears that one shipment has gone out. Approximately 10 to 20 guns, if the 223 release is anything like the 308 release it'll be a while before the second shipment and a long time before there are regular deliveries to dealers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Have any 5.56 guns hit the street yet?
View Quote
They were supposed to be done with the 5.56 side panels at the end of January.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The first batch went out without panels. I would be suprised if you saw any panels before the second quarter.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Two more weeks....
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#13]
So I finally got around to watching the InRange review of the 'fixed' gun.  It sounds like DT has corrected the timing issues with a (much) heavier hammer spring?  Because I don't see how they could possibly fix the peaky gas-adjustment (either way overdriven with often-torn case rims, or short-stroking) simply by playing with port sizes inside the range that was already not working.  There's also no way an extractor change could reduce the amount of operating force needed to yank a case from the chamber.  So, either DT is now relying on a hammer spring & larger extractor to absorb the excess velocity from a highly-energetic extraction process, or...wait, that still doesn't make sense because of the short-cycling issue.

I wonder what they actually changed in the InRange gun, for it to function reliably with weaker ammo while also exhibiting less recoil?  It sure as hell wasn't just an extractor & gas plug.

And maybe I'm just stupid, but I still don't understand (and never have) exactly how this gun is so technologically or ergonomically ambitious, or whatever other glowing descriptions I've been hearing about it from the beginning.  There have been ambidextrous bullpups before, even 308s.  There have been bullpups with similar ergonomics & accuracy already.  Caliber-conversions have been demonstrably 'debunked' as a particularly useful feature (users invariably buy more complete guns to house them).  The forward-ejection is the *only* unique-ish feature, and even that's been done on other bullpups (though without even the need for swapping it left & right).  Besides it looking cool (I guess, that handguard has always been a little whack) why the excitement, apart from it being an ambitious manufacturing/development project for DT (which has not panned out all that well so far)?  I initially thought that because it had "DT" on it, it was going to offer exceptional accuracy & trigger along with those other bullpup features, resulting in a "best of both worlds" scenario --that hasn't happened, yet I still hear many praises of DT's supposed accomplishment via the platform.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 11:49:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The first batch went out without panels. I would be suprised if you saw any panels before the second quarter.
View Quote
Last update I saw said end of Jan 2019 for the chute panels, so who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZSyQNo4D2E
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 8:17:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:16:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Being in the industry I rarely comment on this sort of stuff or this thread in particular, but something came to mind that I wanted to share.

I watched the video, and I am 100% sure that the gun worked for Ian and Karl, but they only tested it with M80 ball.  Did DT actually fix the gun, or just tune it to run with M80 ball?  Will it run with other ammunition?

Either way, it appears the best way to get customer service, a proper fix, and a quick turnaround from DT is if you have a quarter million followers on youtube and the the fact this got fixed so fast for them was PR damage control.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I finally got around to watching the InRange review of the 'fixed' gun.  It sounds like DT has corrected the timing issues with a (much) heavier hammer spring?  Because I don't see how they could possibly fix the peaky gas-adjustment (either way overdriven with often-torn case rims, or short-stroking) simply by playing with port sizes inside the range that was already not working.  There's also no way an extractor change could reduce the amount of operating force needed to yank a case from the chamber.  So, either DT is now relying on a hammer spring & larger extractor to absorb the excess velocity from a highly-energetic extraction process, or...wait, that still doesn't make sense because of the short-cycling issue.

I wonder what they actually changed in the InRange gun, for it to function reliably with weaker ammo while also exhibiting less recoil?  It sure as hell wasn't just an extractor & gas plug.

And maybe I'm just stupid, but I still don't understand (and never have) exactly how this gun is so technologically or ergonomically ambitious, or whatever other glowing descriptions I've been hearing about it from the beginning.  There have been ambidextrous bullpups before, even 308s.  There have been bullpups with similar ergonomics & accuracy already.  Caliber-conversions have been demonstrably 'debunked' as a particularly useful feature (users invariably buy more complete guns to house them).  The forward-ejection is the *only* unique-ish feature, and even that's been done on other bullpups (though without even the need for swapping it left & right).  Besides it looking cool (I guess, that handguard has always been a little whack) why the excitement, apart from it being an ambitious manufacturing/development project for DT (which has not panned out all that well so far)?  I initially thought that because it had "DT" on it, it was going to offer exceptional accuracy & trigger along with those other bullpup features, resulting in a "best of both worlds" scenario --that hasn't happened, yet I still hear many praises of DT's supposed accomplishment via the platform.
Being in the industry I rarely comment on this sort of stuff or this thread in particular, but something came to mind that I wanted to share.

I watched the video, and I am 100% sure that the gun worked for Ian and Karl, but they only tested it with M80 ball.  Did DT actually fix the gun, or just tune it to run with M80 ball?  Will it run with other ammunition?

Either way, it appears the best way to get customer service, a proper fix, and a quick turnaround from DT is if you have a quarter million followers on youtube and the the fact this got fixed so fast for them was PR damage control.

Sven
Manticore Arms
lol
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
@newguy2k3 I'll subscribe/follow/twit/facespace whatever your channel to get you there bro!
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#18]
New MDR Upgrades video from Desert Tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlsS23TDAA

TLDR: They talk about the upgrades mentioned in the InRangeTV video and then a montage of them shooting several different brands of ammo.

American Eagle .308 and 7.62x51
IMI
Magtech
Federal XM80C
Tulammo .308 (zinc coated jacket)
STG 7.62x51
PPU 7.62x51
7.62x51 Hirtenberger
Malaysian L2A2 7.62x51
Korean M80 Ball surplus 7.62x51
BBM
BVAC
UMC
Federal 762D
Fiocchi
Desert Tech

EDIT:

Called DT today about getting the new parts, when I asked about keeping the old parts, they mentioned that the widened extractor requires replacement of the case support and changing headspace, so it is not a drop-in upgrade.
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
New MDR Upgrades video from Desert Tech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVlsS23TDAA

TLDR: They talk about the upgrades mentioned in the InRangeTV video and then a montage of them shooting several different brands of ammo.

American Eagle .308 and 7.62x51
IMI
Magtech
Federal XM80C
Tulammo .308 (zinc coated jacket)
STG 7.62x51
PPU 7.62x51
7.62x51 Hirtenberger
Malaysian L2A2 7.62x51
Korean M80 Ball surplus 7.62x51
BBM
BVAC
UMC
Federal 762D
Fiocchi
Desert Tech

EDIT:

Called DT today about getting the new parts, when I asked about keeping the old parts, they mentioned that the widened extractor requires replacement of the case support and changing headspace, so it is not a drop-in upgrade.
View Quote
Current owners (who aren't 250k YT subscribers famous) are going to be out of luck for a long while, I bet.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks like the MDR is getting there...but anymore accuracy reviews? Iraqveteran8888 seemed like a good review and got 2MOA from M80 ball.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Current owners (who aren't 250k YT subscribers famous) are going to be out of luck for a long while, I bet.
View Quote
You'd probably be wrong, at least according to the information I was given on Monday.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You'd probably be wrong, at least according to the information I was given on Monday.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would that be last monday, or monday two weeks from now?

In all seriousness; any hints you care to give on what they actually fixed?
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:32:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Current owners (who aren't 250k YT subscribers famous or ARFCOM fanbois) are going to be out of luck for a long while, I bet.
View Quote
FIFY...
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 11:23:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Way to vaguepost buddy!

Sven
Manticore Arms
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to vaguepost buddy!

Sven
Manticore Arms
I've found that it is more effective being vague than being specific when it comes to keeping the usual jackals at arm's length.  

However, since we're all friends here...I was told that they would start in about 4-6 weeks for the barrel/extractor work and a few weeks after that they would have the hammer springs.  The barrel and bolt would have to be returned for warranty work, and the customer would have the option to return the fire control group or they could do it themselves with the provided spring.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've found that it is more effective being vague than being specific when it comes to keeping the usual jackals at arm's length.  

However, since we're all friends here...I was told that they would start in about 4-6 weeks for the barrel/extractor work and a few weeks after that they would have the hammer springs.  The barrel and bolt would have to be returned for warranty work, and the customer would have the option to return the fire control group or they could do it themselves with the provided spring.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to vaguepost buddy!

Sven
Manticore Arms

Vague is always best when the truth sucks.

I'd advise anyone with one of these things to return it for a full refund if it hasn't worked right and you have the evidence and the paper trail.

The crazy thing, is you see people almost every day posting crap about the P320, a gun that had one major malf, which was handled very quickly, and new model put into production without the issues. The guns are not having problems holding together, they aren't having failures to feed, extract, etc, and aren't picky about ammo.

This is a $500 gun for a standard model.

Yet, here we are, about 4 years in, with a gun that has been nothing but terrible , without any of the benefits that it was sold on.

And it's a $2500 gun.

And now they want you to wait another 4-6 weeks, and then you have to send it in, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, you'll get a working gun this time.

This whole thing is like taking your car to a parts swapper instead of a mechanic, the difference being, the parts swapper is at best guessing at the issue, doesn't know what's really going on, and just puts on a part that he hopes fixes it, over and over.
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd advise anyone with one of these things to return it for a full refund if it hasn't worked right and you have the evidence and the paper trail.

The crazy thing, is you see people almost every day posting crap about the P320, a gun that had one major malf, which was handled very quickly, and new model put into production without the issues. The guns are not having problems holding together, they aren't having failures to feed, extract, etc, and aren't picky about ammo.

Yet, here we are, about 4 years in, with a gun that has been nothing but terrible , without any of the benefits that it was sold on.

And it's a $2500 gun.

And now they want you to wait another 4-6 weeks, and then you have to send it in, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, you'll get a working gun this time.

This whole thing is like taking your car to a parts swapper instead of a mechanic, the difference being, the parts swapper is at best guessing at the issue, doesn't know what's really going on, and just puts on a part that he hopes fixes it, over and over.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to vaguepost buddy!

Sven
Manticore Arms

And it's a $2500 gun.

Hey man, some people like Lambos instead of civics /sarc
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to vaguepost buddy!

Sven
Manticore Arms

I wonder if they're opening up the match-tight chamber a bit, along with the extractor fix.  That I could see actually improving overall function a bit & making things less sensitive (ie you can run the gun harder without tearing rims, so the realm between short-stroke and tearing widens).  I don't see how an extractor & gas plug alone can solve the issue (or how all three could reduce felt recoil, more the opposite, tbh --my R51 ran great after I fixed the tight chamber, but did have greater recoil now that energy wasn't being wasted forming the brass)
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:32:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And it's a $2500 gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Way to vaguepost buddy!

Sven
Manticore Arms

And it's a $2500 gun.

And thus a jackal pounces.  This is why I was vague.  Don't like the MDR, fine, don't keep commenting on it like it's your "precious".
Link Posted: 2/28/2019 7:56:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Whilst men are linked together, they easily and speedily communicate the alarm of any evil design. They are enabled to fathom it with common counsel, and to oppose it with united strength. Whereas, when they lie dispersed, without concert, order, or discipline, communication is uncertain, counsel difficult, and resistance impracticable. Where men are not acquainted with each other’s principles, nor experienced in each other’s talents, nor at all practised in their mutual habitudes and dispositions by joint efforts in business; no personal confidence, no friendship, no common interest, subsisting among them; it is evidently impossible that they can act a public part with uniformity, perseverance, or efficacy. In a connection, the most inconsiderable man, by adding to the weight of the whole, has his value, and his use; out of it, the greatest talents are wholly unserviceable to the public. No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours, are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

–Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents 82-83 (1770) in: Select Works of Edmund Burke, vol. 1, p. 146 (Liberty Fund ed. 1999).
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#31]
ready, fire, aim.   a rush to market ooooops.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 5:16:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
More like:

Ready
Fire (Squib)
Fire (did I hit anything?)
Fire 3 more times (got it on paper)
What were we doing again?
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Do what they did on the Yugo M76 to 'grow' the gas system but keep the overall package much shorter than a PSL despite being in 8mm Mauser;

-Make the piston head long enough to go past the gas port when in battery
-Drill a hole in the side of the piston (at a turbulence groove) so it aligns with the port when in battery
-Drill a hole in the front of the piston that intersects the side-hole

Gas flows through the side of the piston out the front through a longer semi-tortuous path (dropping its pressure, effectively lengthening the path even more) where it fills up the gas cup, and drives the piston rearward.  Shortly after the piston moves, the turbulence ring misaligns to the gas port, shutting off additional gas flow (by this point the piston already has enough pressurized gas in front of & inside it to complete the necessary acceleration).  The result is a short, quasi-self-adjusting gas system.  Oh, the M76 also has a blow-off port in the front of the gas cup, which essentially 'damps' out gas cup pressure spikes as well.  Lastly, the gas cup itself is adjustable rather like the MDR, with different size orifices that can be placed between the piston and the port in the gas block.  If you put a tit on the end of the piston that initially blocked the blow-off port sort of like the G36, you'd have one of the most sophisticated self-regulating gas piston systems possible.
View Quote
. Do you happen to know anyone who has built a yugo m76 I would like to build that system for my mdr
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
. Do you happen to know anyone who has built a yugo m76 I would like to build that system for my mdr
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do what they did on the Yugo M76 to 'grow' the gas system but keep the overall package much shorter than a PSL despite being in 8mm Mauser;

-Make the piston head long enough to go past the gas port when in battery
-Drill a hole in the side of the piston (at a turbulence groove) so it aligns with the port when in battery
-Drill a hole in the front of the piston that intersects the side-hole

Gas flows through the side of the piston out the front through a longer semi-tortuous path (dropping its pressure, effectively lengthening the path even more) where it fills up the gas cup, and drives the piston rearward.  Shortly after the piston moves, the turbulence ring misaligns to the gas port, shutting off additional gas flow (by this point the piston already has enough pressurized gas in front of & inside it to complete the necessary acceleration).  The result is a short, quasi-self-adjusting gas system.  Oh, the M76 also has a blow-off port in the front of the gas cup, which essentially 'damps' out gas cup pressure spikes as well.  Lastly, the gas cup itself is adjustable rather like the MDR, with different size orifices that can be placed between the piston and the port in the gas block.  If you put a tit on the end of the piston that initially blocked the blow-off port sort of like the G36, you'd have one of the most sophisticated self-regulating gas piston systems possible.
I built mine, which is how I learned those things.  I'd be amazed if you could adapt it to the MDR; I'm pretty sure it'd require a new gas block, new gas regulator, and new piston.  If you're doing all that, you might as well also make the gas system longer (more like other short 308 piston systems like the Galil MAR) since it'd require only a barrel & piston.

But apparently changing an extractor & hammer spring solves all the issues, so there's no need
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:22:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
More like:

Ready
Fire (Squib)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More like:

Ready
Fire (Squib)
Hang-fires are the most dangerous kind of malfunction.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Whilst men are linked together, they easily and speedily communicate the alarm of any evil design. They are enabled to fathom it with common counsel, and to oppose it with united strength. Whereas, when they lie dispersed, without concert, order, or discipline, communication is uncertain, counsel difficult, and resistance impracticable. Where men are not acquainted with each other’s principles, nor experienced in each other’s talents, nor at all practised in their mutual habitudes and dispositions by joint efforts in business; no personal confidence, no friendship, no common interest, subsisting among them; it is evidently impossible that they can act a public part with uniformity, perseverance, or efficacy. In a connection, the most inconsiderable man, by adding to the weight of the whole, has his value, and his use; out of it, the greatest talents are wholly unserviceable to the public. No man, who is not inflamed by vain-glory into enthusiasm, can flatter himself that his single, unsupported, desultory, unsystematic endeavours, are of power to defeat the subtle designs and united cabals of ambitious citizens. When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall, one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.

–Edmund Burke, Thoughts on the Cause of the Present Discontents 82-83 (1770) in: Select Works of Edmund Burke, vol. 1, p. 146 (Liberty Fund ed. 1999).
View Quote
I don't think Burke was referring to a crappy consumer product
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#37]
So how much $$$ is DT investing in the service department now...because I bet the backlog will be pretty intense on getting the new extractor work done....

In all seriousness...hope all this does fix the MDR's woes...time will tell...
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#38]
es tactical ordered and  fitted a mdr barrel extension to a 18in bsf barrel with a rifleman length gas system the gas block is moved forward 5 inches so i will have plenty of room to do a long stroke if decided to go that route. i work at a place were i have access to all the milling and cnc lathes i could need to build  it .   What i need is detailed info on how the m76 gas system works  from the little i have seen i believe i can get this to work without interfering   with anything else the other system i really like is the pws long stroke if you have the time could you pm me some close up pics with the dimensions of the piston and how it bleeds off and were it bleeds off   o and the weight of the bcg mass
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I built mine, which is how I learned those things.  I'd be amazed if you could adapt it to the MDR; I'm pretty sure it'd require a new gas block, new gas regulator, and new piston.  If you're doing all that, you might as well also make the gas system longer (more like other short 308 piston systems like the Galil MAR) since it'd require only a barrel & piston.

But apparently changing an extractor & hammer spring solves all the issues, so there's no need
View Quote
or post pics on here doesnt matter i just wonder how much of a difference in the recoil impulse it is
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
es tactical ordered and  fitted a mdr barrel extension to a 18in bsf barrel with a rifleman length gas system the gas block is moved forward 5 inches so i will have plenty of room to do a long stroke if decided to go that route. i work at a place were i have access to all the milling and cnc lathes i could need to build  it .   What i need is detailed info on how the m76 gas system works  from the little i have seen i believe i can get this to work without interfering   with anything else the other system i really like is the pws long stroke if you have the time could you pm me some close up pics with the dimensions of the piston and how it bleeds off and were it bleeds off   o and the weight of the bcg mass
View Quote
Sure, though it's pretty basic. (OP/Mods, lemme know if this is off-topic or whatever)
-A little longer than AK length piston, shorter than PSL
-Piston head is the usual diameter
-Piston head is longer, with the extra, larger gas ring
-Hole drilled in face of piston intersects cross-hole in that ring
-Right-angle gas block (not slant-drilled) port aligns with the cross-drilled gas ring when in full battery

The cup the piston fits into is the regulator, which has different port sizes that line up with the gas block; I don't know if the MDR would work well with that scheme, or if some other adjustment/blow-off scheme would work better instead.

I will say the M76 was designed to work with a QD suppressor; I'm sure it was a very leaky low-backpressure type, but considering how sensitive AKs usually are to backpressure changes, it's encouraging.

I will also say, the system seems sensitive to changes in "starting volume" (gas volume in the gas block/piston when in full battery) since making the end-bore larger really drops the operating power.  A regulator that simply threads in/out to take up space could be an effective, non-venting/non-obstructing way of controlling piston impulse (of course, there is some risk involved if you can make the gun run too hard)
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 6:09:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I swear this is the only weapon platform in the world where we are talking about introducing commie tech into a $2500 rifle while spending more and more money into it just to see if it improves....

You all have a ton of patience with this crap...
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sure, though it's pretty basic. (OP/Mods, lemme know if this is off-topic or whatever)
-A little longer than AK length piston, shorter than PSL
-Piston head is the usual diameter
-Piston head is longer, with the extra, larger gas ring
-Hole drilled in face of piston intersects cross-hole in that ring
-Right-angle gas block (not slant-drilled) port aligns with the cross-drilled gas ring when in full battery

The cup the piston fits into is the regulator, which has different port sizes that line up with the gas block; I don't know if the MDR would work well with that scheme, or if some other adjustment/blow-off scheme would work better instead.

I will say the M76 was designed to work with a QD suppressor; I'm sure it was a very leaky low-backpressure type, but considering how sensitive AKs usually are to backpressure changes, it's encouraging.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2q06qlc.jpg

I will also say, the system seems sensitive to changes in "starting volume" (gas volume in the gas block/piston when in full battery) since making the end-bore larger really drops the operating power.  A regulator that simply threads in/out to take up space could be an effective, non-venting/non-obstructing way of controlling piston impulse (of course, there is some risk involved if you can make the gun run too hard)
View Quote
i guess what i could do to is buy a knsprecisioninc adjustable gas piston cut and slot it at the thicker part to fit like pws attaches there pistons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eNVNOHPdHo 40 second mark
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#43]
At this point, I want the upgrades only so I can sell my MDR as a “fixed” gun.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
i guess what i could do to is buy a knsprecisioninc adjustable gas piston cut and slot it at the thicker part to fit like pws attaches there pistons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eNVNOHPdHo 40 second mark
View Quote
Just sell the MDR and get a PWS to end this monkey business (Used MK2's go for under $1500), use the spare cash for ammo, mags and training....lol....
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Just sell the MDR and get a PWS to end this monkey business (Used MK2's go for under $1500), use the spare cash for ammo, mags and training....lol....
View Quote
if it was a bullpup i would be all over it
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:34:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get two RFBs then...

ETA: https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/640832007381
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:26:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Honestly. Just SBR it and call it good. Still cheaper than MDR and much more usable with longevity.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#48]
and i thought keltec was bad! haha
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
and i thought keltec was bad! haha
View Quote
Even the most virulent of anti-Keltec'ers admits that Keltec has more than single-digit numbers of guns in the wild which actually run.

Plenty of GOOD stories of Keltec service - even if you argue there are more bad stories, I and others have reported our good experiences, so there are SOME.

With DT...not so much of either...
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Even the most virulent of anti-Keltec'ers admits that Keltec has more than single-digit numbers of guns in the wild which actually run.

Plenty of GOOD stories of Keltec service - even if you argue there are more bad stories, I and others have reported our good experiences, so there are SOME.

With DT...not so much of either...
View Quote
yep, i have a 2nd or 3rd gen KSG and it works great,  i'll be thinking about getting an RDB soon and selling my PSA AR, and adding a can to the RDB. (energetic arms vox probably)

DT let the enthusiast snobbery get out of hand and built up too high of expectations.   1st rule of business, UNDERpromise, OVERdeliver.
Page / 74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top